Author Topic: USB or mic with cheaper interface?  (Read 37036 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
Re: USB or mic with cheaper interface?
« Reply #225 on: December 16, 2014, 09:13:22 pm »
Alright, sounds good.  Is there anything else I'll need to go with it - cables, accessories, anything like that?  Want to make sure I've got everything.
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24:16 pm »
All you need is that Focusrite, mic, stand, mic cable and instrument cable. Then you're all set. ;)

I'd save the money. You're gonna want it later for speakers and plugins.

What do you need plugins for? Native and free plug-ins go a very long way.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #227 on: December 16, 2014, 09:27:00 pm »
Alright, sounds good.  Is there anything else I'll need to go with it - cables, accessories, anything like that?  Want to make sure I've got everything.

Later, when you get speakers you'll need a couple cables. If you plan to use the line output from your amp directly into the interface you'll need an extra instrument cable - just long enough to get from the amp to your interface. You'll also need a DAW. You can install whatever DAW software comes with the interface, but I'd install Reaper. Wait until after the interface and its drivers are installed before you install the DAW.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #228 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:10 pm »
You want me to make a list of what I think I need?  :o  I have no idea - that's my whole problem!

I just meant if this were you - if you wanted to spend under $500 (tops) on everything you needed to make a pretty nice home studio, starting from just a MacBook Pro, what would you buy? 

I'm thinking I'm going to just get the Focusrite and the mic/stand/cable set.  But for reference, their promo right now is $20 off of $100 or $100 off of $500.  Depending on how much nicer $500 of equipment is than $200, I might be able to swing that, since it would only be $400.  I'd have to talk to my parents about it, but they're actually all for me getting recording stuff.  I'd prefer to spend under $200, but if there's a significant difference between $200 and $500 equipment... I'll see.  Just throwing that out there.  I can get the money if it will make that much difference.

Ok,,, now that rules out playing live... so this is HOME ONLY.

Yes, there is a significant difference between $200 and $500.

OK
Mackie Blackjack - site says it needs no drivers for Mac. Reviews show driver problems on windows but they are old drives like 1.9, 2.0 but driver is up to V3.0 for Windows... but again no driver needed for Mac.

Why do I like it. Mackie makes nice stuff. Really nice preamps. It has the INST level switch on both inputs. But unlink all the rest it's ergonomic. Cables plug in back and the front slants. so it's easy to physically use. $145

But .. basically pick 1.

Steinbeerg UR22
Mackie Blackjack
Scarlet 2i2
All are $150 retail I think -- any would work.

Next I would get one of those $25 mic stands OnStage model. they work fine... I already linked all this stuff before...
Total so far $175  so say add $25 more for mic cables, guitar cable.. Even $200

I would also still learn how to use the audio better on your camera and use that mic as a room ambiance mic. So you would get three audio tracks each time you hit record... as well as your video.

For vocal... and this comes with cable... this looks very interesting....
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/condenser-microphones/mxl-3000-mic-bundle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArlnhUozdrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twt4ROakP7g
"I was using an MXL 3000 condenser mic, a Studio Projects VTB1 Mic Preamp, a Mogami mic cable, Sonar Producer Edition software and I was recording directly into the stock sound card's line out on my former Dell computer."

I have that VTB1.. the VTB1+Dell soundcard can't be any better than the mic pres on any one of the interfaces you are looking at. He is in his bedroom. He has a set of Sennhiser headphones... can't tell which model

That's a pretty damn good sound.

So now we are at $375 roughly.

Headphones...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-ath-m50x-closed-back-professional-studio-monitor-headphones -- I actually do own these.

Or .. .and I have not heard these but they are highly rated.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sennheiser-hd-280-pro-closed-back-headphones
I think one video I posted the guy was using them.

So that runs you up to $475 or $545... you can easily run that $475 up to $500 and get the $100 off or maybe one of those interfaces is a little less than $150 and the $545 would drop closer to $500.

I have not heard that mic but it seems well rated... The same type packages are available from Audio Technia and Cue knows those model numbers adn may even have some. Same deal with mic, stand, cable, screen, etc..

It's a REALLY REALLY tough call to buy a mic without hearing your voice on it. Everyone responds better to different mics. You could have voice that works great with a $100 mic and sounds bad with a $1000 mic.... but for general purpose go with public high ratings.

You could change many of these items and still be fine.

$500 setup ---- $400 with discounts
Interface
Headphones
LDC Mic
Stand
Cables

$200 setup
Used Interface - $100
Behringer X8500 mic - $25
Cables, Stand, some kind of used speakers or headphones, or decent earbuds $75 -- tough to do at that price

$200 is near impossible.

Now you know why I said the first thing you need is a job. Oooor ... marry a lawyer or doctor

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:51:19 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #229 on: December 16, 2014, 09:29:10 pm »

What do you need plugins for? Native and free plug-ins go a very long way.

I didn't say; "need" I said; "want"
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #230 on: December 16, 2014, 09:38:18 pm »
Ah I see - excuse me. I'd say r=plug-ins are only really necessary if you want to use softsynths or piano. For mixing, everything you need is in the DAWs.

I have an Audio Technica AT3035 (discontinued, cheaply available used) and an AT825 (discontinued, no idea about availability, was really cheap when I got it).
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #231 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:45 pm »
Ah I see - excuse me. I'd say r=plug-ins are only really necessary if you want to use softsynths or piano. For mixing, everything you need is in the DAWs.

I have an Audio Technica AT3035 (discontinued, cheaply available used) and an AT825 (discontinued, no idea about availability, was really cheap when I got it).

Here's some mixing tips by a professional recording engineer. When you get done watching the videos, let me know how many native plugins he uses:

http://www.pensadosplace.tv/category/into-the-lair/

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #232 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49:19 pm »
I have Blackjack interface and HD280 headphones. I recommend both.

Can't say the same for my mic, though. I kind of regret buying it. Maybe it just doesn't lie to me the way I want it to. :Op
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #233 on: December 16, 2014, 10:15:43 pm »
Here's some mixing tips by a professional recording engineer. When you get done watching the videos, let me know how many native plugins he uses:

http://www.pensadosplace.tv/category/into-the-lair/
What about www.therecordingrevolution.com - also a (semi-)professional mix engineer and uses mostly native plugins.

Anyhow, with this setting on the 2i4 (gain 40%, switched to instrument, no pad):

And the volume on my guitar maxed out, I got this sound:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609615/ezyodoodle.wav

As you can hear, it's nowhere near clipping.
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #234 on: December 16, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »
What about www.therecordingrevolution.com - also a (semi-)professional mix engineer and uses mostly native plugins.

By all means; if you want to spend $700.00 for Pro Tools, use the native plugins.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #235 on: December 16, 2014, 10:34:06 pm »
LOL, leah, that's my problem with PT - no can do man.

Anyhow, he's doing a new project right now and is running Reason with all it's native plugins.

Also, have you seen his video where he talks mixing with Dave (Pensado)?

To get back on topic - REAPER's native plugins go a long way and the ones in Studio One seem pretty decent as well. Haven't had enough time to try all of them, though. Although I have to say that within the first few minutes I spent with S1, I might actually want to get me a license.
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2014, 10:44:56 pm »
Although I have to say that within the first few minutes I spent with S1, I might actually want to get me a license.

I have Studio One and Sonar X2 Expanded. S1 is actually a good really good DAW (imo) and the native plugins in S1 are good. I'm only using Reaper now. The reaper native plugins are OK.. but the GUIs leave a lot to be desired and there are much better plugins out there including a lot of free ones.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:00 pm »
Only buy plugins between Black Friday and Christmas.

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2014, 10:47:01 pm »
Okay, fantastic!  The last thing, then - between Focusrite Scarlett and Mackie Blackjack.  Which one should I get?
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2014, 10:51:25 pm »
I have Blackjack interface and HD280 headphones. I recommend both.

Can't say the same for my mic, though. I kind of regret buying it. Maybe it just doesn't lie to me the way I want it to. :Op

Any chance you have a pair of AKG K240s or AT-M50s... I have those which both sound good and totally differnt so they compliment each other. I haven't had any Senns in a long time. Wondered what they sounded like in comparison.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App