Author Topic: USB or mic with cheaper interface?  (Read 29854 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
Re: USB or mic with cheaper interface?
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »
That is precisely why I never got a mixer. I fancy one now to fine-tune the monitor mix, but not to use as an interface. Friend of mine uses it to EQ and compress the monitor mix slightly.

If I record from 8 sources into my 8 input interface, I get 8 tracks that I can pan, compress and EQ (mix) however I like inside the DAW.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2014, 09:27:51 pm »
So basically you just have to get it all set up how you want it before you start recording?

Yep!

And that's what you'd want to avoid, then, right?

It depends...

For live work, that's what you would want to do.

For studio work, it's preferable to record each channel individually as this gives you more control to remix, correct errors, and even apply effects to each track individually.

Whether this is a better solution than a standard audio interface depends on whether your emphasis is live performance (and practicing for that) or on recording.

Unfortunately, there's different requirements for each of these, and no setup will be universally "best" for both situations. When weighing up the options, one need to decide where the emphasis will be, and accept that compromises may need to be made.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:07 pm »
This one does it, apparently
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMM16USBFX

Cousin has one. I have no experience with it in the studio, but live we used it to get 3 mics into a (I believe) mono makeshift PA system.
Production and mixing

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2014, 09:37:42 pm »
One thing: will any of these things allow good enough recording to do your own pretty professional-sounding record at home, if you wanted to?  (not necessarily in the $200 range, but just in general)

Okay.... boy, I don't know.  Right now it's only recording since I don't have any of my own songs to do gigs yet.  But my long-term goal is to front a world-touring band, which would probably be more emphasis on the gigs to get going in that direction.  So I'm not quite sure which one would be more appropriate to get me started.

You're saying that if I recorded a guitar and vocal track at the same time using a mixer, most of them would turn it into one track.  If I recorded them both separately, or recorded a drum or piano track separately in addition to the vocal/guitar track, would it end up being separate tracks?  If I did it that way, could I adjust each track separately?  I hope that made sense.
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:54 pm »
This one does it, apparently
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMM16USBFX

Cousin has one. I have no experience with it in the studio, but live we used it to get 3 mics into a (I believe) mono makeshift PA system.

Yes, but the USB audio in is still only two channel, i.e. a mix of all of the inputs.

USB Audio:
- 2-Channel Audio In
- 2-Channel Audio Out
- 16-bit; 44.1/48 kHz

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:28 pm »
One thing: will any of these things allow good enough recording to do your own pretty professional-sounding record at home, if you wanted to?  (not necessarily in the $200 range, but just in general)

All of them are.

You're saying that if I recorded a guitar and vocal track at the same time using a mixer, most of them would turn it into one track.

Pretty much all of the mixer devices would, yes.

If I recorded them both separately, or recorded a drum or piano track separately in addition to the vocal/guitar track, would it end up being separate tracks?  If I did it that way, could I adjust each track separately?  I hope that made sense.

Yes, absolutely, and this is the essence of multitracking. With modern DAWs there is almost no limit to the number of parallel tracks you can record and mix in this way (practical limits are down to the power of your computer, but even slow computers can usually manage 8 tracks or more).

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
So... if my current focus is recording but I know I'm going to start doing live shows -hopefully- in 2015, which do you all personally think I'd be better off getting?  In the known future I'm going to be recording covers and then trying to start doing full recordings of my own songs (even if I have to play as many of the instruments as I can).  Gigs may not start until summer, depending on how fast I come up with my own songs.  I have to pick one or the other right now, but I can always get better live gear as I start doing more gigs and/or making money off of my own record.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:01 pm »
I'm sorry, it appears that that website doesn't have the USB 2.0 version, that one does break out to 16 channels instead of stereo.
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »
So... if my current focus is recording but I know I'm going to start doing live shows -hopefully- in 2015, which do you all personally think I'd be better off getting?  In the known future I'm going to be recording covers and then trying to start doing full recordings of my own songs (even if I have to play as many of the instruments as I can).  Gigs may not start until summer, depending on how fast I come up with my own songs.  I have to pick one or the other right now, but I can always get better live gear as I start doing more gigs and/or making money off of my own record.

IMO, You could buy a Swiss Army Knife that has a saw and a screwdriver,, but if you want to cut down trees or assemble a carburetor it would be best to have a saw, or a screwdriver.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:07 pm »
... Which one's the SAK and which one's the saw and screwdriver?

My other question, if I get the Scarlett interface, since my guitar has a high output, will I be able to fix it the same way they did in that video to make it work?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2014, 11:41:23 pm »
I'm sorry, it appears that that website doesn't have the USB 2.0 version, that one does break out to 16 channels instead of stereo.

I think you need the Fireware based Onyx series for that, and they are a fair bit more expensive.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2014, 11:51:15 pm »
So... if my current focus is recording but I know I'm going to start doing live shows -hopefully- in 2015, which do you all personally think I'd be better off getting?

I would get an audio interface or a multi-track field recorder.

If you intend to record and sing at the same time and want to have the flexibility to individually edit and mix the voice and instrument, you need at least a two channel input audio interface.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2014, 11:57:45 pm »
Okay.  And that should last me for a while? 

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2014, 12:00:15 am »
One thing to think about in terms of getting professional quality recording... It's going to be hard to do at home under any circumstances. Getting a *very* good recording quality is quite possible with budget equipment, but you have to know how to record and your room will probably need some acoustic treatment.

For example, I know my equipment is capable of quality recordings, but I don't exactly know what I'm doing so I'm sure I am not getting the most out of it.

So I think any one of these options will give you some room for improvement and will last you a while. It's going to take some practice before you get to the level that some of these YouTube people are at, and once you are good enough to get the most out of your equipment you should have a better idea of what you need to upgrade to improve your sound.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2014, 12:06:13 am »
Alright.  I guess my only real concern with the Scarlett (the one I think is best overall right now) is that high-output pickups cause the clipping, like mentioned before, and my acoustic is high-output.  I'm just a little concerned that adjusting the volume and gain won't be enough to fix the issue and I won't be able to return it.  But I also would feel best getting one that people on here are familiar with so they can help me if I need it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App