Author Topic: USB or mic with cheaper interface?  (Read 30681 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
Re: USB or mic with cheaper interface?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 02:28:00 am »
Alright, I'll see what I can find.

What do I need to look for in an interface to make sure I get the right thing? 
Do they just plug into your computer then or what?
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 02:46:28 am »
@TB

I agree with your points, however my main point was to make sure the music aspect doesn't get buried under everything else. Obviously recording and production skills can get you a long way, but none of that will matter if you can't play the music at a high level.

By all means, anyone looking to make music professionally and gain exposure through YouTube or other social media channels should take the time to study those things, but right now I think it's more important to build a foundation with guitar and music.

It's kind of like when a beginner comes to the forum and asks what lessons they need to watch to play "X" by Jimi Hendrix or whatever. We always suggest they build that foundation by completing the BC & IM courses first. In this case, the video, lighting and production is the long-term goal, but in order to make those worth something you need a strong foundation in songwriting, theory, and guitar playing.

I didn't mean to suggest that Hollywood should ignore your suggestions. I just wanted to make sure that those things don't become more of a focus than the actual music.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 03:25:55 am »
Oh, I agree. the music is say 80-85% of the investment.  That's why I keep saying she should go to school.

The other 15% is adjunct skills. The other side benefit of the video aspect though is it's not really hard to improve from crap to pretty damn good looking..... unlike playing and singing which takes a while.

So as she sees her image improve, she gains confidence and it also causes one to want to build up the musical side to match it. So it's a motivational deal as well.

But either way.... I didn't think you were saying to ignore what I had mentioned. ... multimedia marketing is what the now and the future holds, so you either have to learn it or pay someone to do it for you. Stapling paper to the light pole just doesn't cut it these days.

.... and she already does photography so these lighting skills carry over to her other skill set.... in fact there is a very famous music industry person that was/is a photog as well. Or look at Little Steven from E Street... when he was asked did he want to be on a TV show he said, no... I'm not an actor.... they said yes you are, you just don't know it. Oh and even Stevie Nicks is releasing a book of her photography from when she was young.

The goal is to get her hooked up with people better than her so she can learn from/with them. Right now they don't believe in her experience level without even hearing what she can do. That is a marketing issue. Once you get the chance to perform... then it's a talent issue.... but even then.... there have been quite a few bands formed with people that couldn't play.

But yeah, I'm not saying making a good video makes your playing bet...... well...wait a second......there is that young lady named Taylor Swift.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 03:39:30 am »
That is a marketing issue. Once you get the chance to perform... then it's a talent issue.... but even then.... there have been quite a few bands formed with people that couldn't play.

Yeah, that sounds about right... I'm apparently not so good with marketing.  I've been having a really hard time marketing my mom's books to help get her donations for her fundraiser.  So far most of the sales have been her selling them face-to-face, and my attempts at marketing them (online, mainly) have been unsuccessful.  :(  Ironic, as I've listened to a lot of top marketers in the past few years.

But yeah, I'm not saying making a good video makes your playing bet...... well...wait a second......there is that young lady named Taylor Swift.
;D
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 03:55:22 am »
All good points, TB. I agree.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 04:08:50 am »
Yeah, that sounds about right... I'm apparently not so good with marketing.  I've been having a really hard time marketing my mom's books to help get her donations for her fundraiser.  So far most of the sales have been her selling them face-to-face, and my attempts at marketing them (online, mainly) have been unsuccessful.  :(  Ironic, as I've listened to a lot of top marketers in the past few years.

;D

The reason she sells them in person is because they meet her and most likely like her. You can only market the book and not her online...

After you learn some of this video lighting stuff. Put together a little segment with you interviewing her, or her talking about the book... maybe even read a little of it. You could even play a little background guitar for the intro and outro. then you can put that online and IF it is done well perhaps people will be able to connect with her on a personal basis and want to buy the book.

People like to like the other people they buy stuff from. It's like that recordingrevolution guy you see mentioned here often. He is not giving out any earth shattering recording advice but he's a nice guy, his room and gear is all clean and neat looking, he's pleasant to listen to and what he does present is good advice but it's the same advice that you can find in a hundred other places..... but he is likeable. He seems fair and trustworthy. ... and even though he does sell stuff he's not into the hard sell. He is polite, understandable and professional.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 04:41:09 am »

Make sure that your computer has the correct port for the interface. USB 2.0 and Firewire are common interfaces busses. For a decent starting interface, look at the Steinberg, Focusrite, and Presonus interfaces.
If you plan to use any external hardware processing, make sure it's capable of doing inserts. Otherwise you likely just need an interface with two mic/instrument inputs and phantom power.
The interface just plugs into your computer. Then you plug your mic/s or instrument into the interface. And of course you'll need some way to monitor. You can start with a decent pair of headphones and upgrade to studio monitors later. The interfaces often come bundled with DAW software. You can use other DAWS (like Reaper) with most interfaces. You will of course need microphone and/or instrument cables. And probably a mic stand. SM58 is a good mic for live, and is OK, but not ideal for recording vocals. If you want to record both vocal, and acoustic guitar, a large diaphragm condenser mic would probably be a better choice. If you plan to record electric guitar as well, you can either plug the guitar into the interface, and use Guitar Rig, or other modeling software, or mic your guitar cabinet with a SM57.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 06:41:58 am »
a few hours later on my laptop where I know how to copy / paste :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1XB82kqMF0

With a usb mic you do not need an audio interface... just Reaper or Audacity (which is free).

It would be a quick, low-cost working solution with decent results immediately.

You would then start to learn a little about mic placement, recording levels etc on a manageable learning curve.

A Shure SM58 is the industry standard live vocal microphone. Great quality.
Although I have worked with singers who don't like them ... they A/Bd several and picked different mics that suited their particular vocal sound better.
Long term, a different mic may suit your voice better.

I still vote for a usb as a start point.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 08:18:07 am »

Keep in mind that it's a dynamic cardoid mic and is subject to proximity effect - which makes it less desirable for recording both acoustic and vocal at the same time. It also has a pop-filter screwed on over the capsule. They sound OK, but the reason they're preferred over better sounding studio mics for live vocals is that they have a directional (cardoid) pickup pattern (supercardoid on the Beta 58). The directional pattern helps eliminate feedback (which isn't an issue in the studio) and they're rugged. You can just about pound nails with them - so they hold up well on the road. Yes; a 58 is a good mic for live vocals. If you want to record both vocal and acoustic guitar, there are better choices.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 10:07:25 am »
Good clarification and additional info Scooter
:)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 11:13:20 am »
So what would be the best lower-cost solution for guitar and vocal recording?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 11:57:51 am »
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152879282394494

Plug and play, yep. Look for two channels with preamps, combo XLR/TRS (jack) inputs, USB (or FireWire if you have that) and of course direct monitoring, but most interfaces have that anyway I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »

This may be true in name only now days. Most people I know would pick something else.. especially something from Audix. SM57 used to be the only game in town, bu that's no longer true.

PROXIMITY EFFECT:  how sound changes with proximity effect. Notice she is using a Line6 microphone. When was the last time you heard someone recommend a Line6  mic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iD4kgO1-gE

She has several good vocal lessons as well

I agree with Scooter.. the SM58 is "OK" .. and that's it... unless you need a hammer too. I personally have never like the way they sound.

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 02:12:10 pm »
I personally would opt for a different mic than the '58 as well, but that's not on the budget in this thread. I was gonna get a Beta 57A at some point, but to this day still haven't gotten one (other things to spend money on, lol).

I still think running the guitar on a lead and vocals on a mic would be a little more manageable since you get two tracks instead of one.

You could still choose to go with a single condenser after that, and still keep your vocal mic for live use - whichever one you choose, doesn't have to be a 58, that's just the only one I know of that is available on the used market staying inside your budget.

Getting the placement 'just right' and getting your playing 'just right' with one mic is a lot more difficult than it seems. Sure, it can be done, but it takes some fine tuning and some practice. Heck, some bands are fine with just one mic (bluegrass bands).
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 02:36:00 pm »
Agreed on above and the "58s" you see these days are often the Beta 58 which is 40% higher priced.

I would save up for an LCD..... Or watch for sales this month.... the stores usually have a package sale....

So maybe you get a stand, cable, mic, and decent interface.... maybe the mic is not the ideal.... use it, sell it, whatever,,,, you still got the deal on the other stuff and save your money for a nicer mic.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App