Author Topic: Samson C01U USB Mic  (Read 2110 times)

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Samson C01U USB Mic
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:50 am »
I got it last Christmas and haven't been willing to record myself until now.  But, now I cant get the thing to work on my Mac running OS X version 10.7.5 on a 2.93 GHz Core i7 with 16 GB of DDR3 memory.  I'm also using an external powered USB hub.
I created the C01U as a audio device in Audio Midi Setup.  I have it set to use Built-In Input only.  I cant change the clock source.  The list box is grayed out, and it says Default on the other three Built-In Microphone, Built-In Input, and Built-In Output.  I have not seen anywhere during my attempts to get this working that the Mac recognized this microphone.  The device is listed under sound preference window in System Preferences but type is blank.  I have been to Samson tech support and already did what they had in the FAQ.  Anybody have any ideas?  Is this what I get for buying a USB mic?
Gretsch G2622 Streamliner
Squier Classic 60's Vibe Stratocaster
Martin DCPA5 Acoustic Guitar
Fender Superchamp X2
My Soundcloud >> https://soundcloud.com/sfdonovan

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: Samson C01U USB Mic
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:08:30 am »
There are plenty of fine USB mics. Do you have a warranty?
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:15:16 am »
Maybe it's missing some drivers for your version of OSX?

Support should really know this, but often they are complete numptys. I had major issues with a HP printer a while back, and support blamed my MS software. MS blamed HP. After much frustration, I realised the printer wasn't installing the right drivers.

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:23:31 am »
What I have already tried:
-- repairing disk permissions in disk utility
-- reseting the PRAM
-- reseting the SMC
-- Using powered USB hub/plugging in straight to rear USB port.
-- plugging my keyboard in all USB ports to ensure they all work.  They do, as does my Western Digital 2TB drive in all ports.
Fender Superchamp X2

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:08:20 am »
No advice to give ... I have a Samson usb mic and it works fine ... but I'm on a PC

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:24:45 am »
I'm not a Mac user so this is a hard one for me to help but what I don't get (and excuse my noobism in mac terminology):

I created the C01U as a audio device in Audio Midi Setup.  I have it set to use Built-In Input only.

As a PC user I would interpret this as you select the microphone of your laptop rather than the usb mic?
have you tried to select the input device in a DAW like, let's say the (free) Audacity?

deinstall the current driver and try installing a different (older) driver from Samson.
Do this while the mic is unplugged. reboot. plug in the mic; what happens; what exact messages/device names do you see appear?  (perhaps you can make some screenshots of your device manager on your mac and your screen of preferences for audio inputs in your DAW?

I know your Mac doesn't show you a type and it's possible that it could be handling it as a "generic usb device" but that's never desireable.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:04 pm »
I was following instructions listed here.

http://www.samsontech.com/support/samson/servicequestionanswer/view/samsons-usb-mic-faqs-combined-historical/

Then choosing C01U from the Audio Input drop down list in Garageband.

But there is no signal.

I would not know where to install or uninstall a driver on a Mac.  The Samson tech I've been in contact with has offered to replace it even though I purchased it last December.  Nice of them.  I'm gonna try to connect it to my daughters laptop as a last resort.
Fender Superchamp X2

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 05:13:36 pm »
Happy to report I finally got this working, but I don't know if it is correct.  The instructions told me to choose Built-in Audio when in the Aggregate Device Editor.  I was trying my daughters laptop and along with Built-in Audio also chose Built-in Microphone.  I then had two inputs appear in Garageband; CO1U 1&2 and again as CO1U 3&4.  I selected CO1U 3&4 and started to receive a signal.  Was able to record some strumming and a bit of vocals.  Now will have to work on mic placement.  The desktop stand give me very little to work with. 
Fender Superchamp X2

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:00:40 pm »
That was stupid.  Choosing "Built-in Microphone" picks up the internal mic from the computer.  I sent this back to www.samsontech.com as it was still under warranty.  Hoping to get a replacement by Thanksgiving.  Not going to happen.  In fact they emailed me and said:

It is still be processed into the correct service department.
It will probably be a couple weeks time
We happen to be slightly backed up
we do apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you

Wow!  Just to ship me out a new mic will be weeks.  Poor customer service.
Fender Superchamp X2

Get The Forum As A Mobile App