Author Topic: Beginners Course and Ancillary Lessons - ie ear training, technique, etc  (Read 1053 times)

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post, so please bear with me as I am just feeling my way around the site and boards so I hope I have put this in the right spot.

I have just finished Stage 1 of the Beginner's Course. I have been on and off learning guitar for about a year, but just had a baby 9 months so the guitar was collecting dust for a while there and I've decided to start at the beginning again.

My question is in relation to a schedule for not just the beginners course, but all of the ancillary lesson topics ie ear training, technique etc. At the conclusion of Stage 1 Justin suggests checking out the ear training lessons. I've noticed there is a whole bunch of other topics ie technique, scales etc. As I work through the course does Justin suggest checking these along the way (as my skill level increases)? Or are these separate and for me to check out as I go ie, should I be looking at subjects such as technique now? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and don't want to bite off more than I can chew and hoping I can relax and Justin will tell me when to do each part ha ha!
My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: Beginners Course and Ancillary Lessons - ie ear training, technique, etc
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 01:10:31 am »
I'd would stick with what is in the Beginners Course.

Beginners have enough to think without adding technique exercises and ear training.

The best advice I can give you is learn songs that go with each stage and don't skimp on JUSTIN sound exercises that are apart of the BC.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 01:16:36 am »
The best advice I can give you right now is that the guitar is a never ending journey. There's always something new to learn with it everyday. I know it can seem overwhelming at times because there's an ocean of information out there. Just stick with the beginners course, and listen to every thing Justin says. Don't do anything outside of the course unless it involves learning songs at your level.

Stick with the course, and you'll be good to go. All those scales, and what not like the minor pent he shows through the beginners course. He even goes deeper into scales with the intermediate, and Blues lead course. Everything that you need to learn the "basics" pretty much is in the beginners course. So there's no need to feel overwhelmed stick with it, and you'll get where you want to be.
"You're only limited to what you think you can and can't do."

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:00:23 am »
Thanks so much for both of your prompt responses. I just received the Justin Beginner Song book so I'm amped to get cracking.

And I will heed both of your advice - I'll just stick to the Beginners Course for now :-)
LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:12 am »
Aye, stick to the beginners course for now, but don't neglect Justin's "ear training" parts of the course. I did the first time, which was silly of me. They really help.
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:44:06 am »
Haha, I'm back now after having another baby, getting rid of my right handed guitar, and back on the journey again.

I'm at stage 4 now with my left handed guitars and progressing much quicker than I was on the righty.

I practice every day for at least 30 mins. I'm so much more committed now I don't have competing demands such as study and night classes.

:-)
LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:55:12 am »
Haha, I'm back now after having another baby, getting rid of my right handed guitar, and back on the journey again.

I'm at stage 4 now with my left handed guitars and progressing much quicker than I was on the righty.

I practice every day for at least 30 mins. I'm so much more committed now I don't have competing demands such as study and night classes.

:-)

Welcome back and rock on, Danni.

Batwoman offered you some good advice earlier.  Being at stage 4 now, loads of great songs that can be played with the chords you know.  Simple audio recording of just strumming some progressions is good enough i.e. don't have to get all fancy with the recording and be able to play and sing beautifully together.  The feedback and encouragement you get from sharing recordings and ability to track progress is invaluable.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 06:03:48 am »
Awesome!

Where do I post a video of myself then.... May get myself some dutch courage with a few gins over the weekend and put something up.

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 06:11:47 am »
Awesome!

Where do I post a video of myself then.... May get myself some dutch courage with a few gins over the weekend and put something up.

I know how scary that can be, Danielle ... many deep breaths before I posted my first recording and anxiousness waiting to see if anybody would reply and what they may say.  All the anxiety was unnecessary, everybody was and contininues to be marvelously supportive.

Take a look here ... https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=28.0

Read the "Please read before..." original post for context.  Then you can chose to either post your recording as a reply on the Beginner Thread topic or just start a new topic.  My suggestion, just start a new topic and add some context about the recording to position your play-grade and what you were working on.  I think you'll get more feedback that way.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App