Author Topic: Calibre - Library  (Read 1841 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Calibre - Library
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
From other thread. I am trying to get Calibre to wok.

I have a Nook HD+ with Android for Nook running. This is basically a dual boot situation. I only run the Android part.. I have a few magazines and a book or two.. I also have many pdf docs I placed on the sd card..

Calibre sees the device when  I plug it in.

SD card shows blank -- nothing.
Device shows all my pdf docs.

Shows no purchased books or magazines. I have clicked every possible folder I can find.

any ideas?   I have been wanting to be able to read these on another pc or convert them but honestly... I don't even know where they are on my tablet.

ETA: Update

Under the icon DEVICE there is a tab for SD card adn Internal... I checked all those folders and sub-folders. So it actually is seeing the SD card

The ICON sd card on main menu shows nothing. It's all under DEVICE ICON.

Still... no books or mags...

Gone

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Calibre - Library
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 04:43:02 pm »
TB

I gave up on trying to get Calibre working on my Android Tablet (but it is French  ;D), it downloaded but would not run at all and ended up using Aldiko - another free reader.

http://www.aldiko.com/features.html.

BTW no probs with Calibre on PC or laptop.

8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 06:20:21 pm »
Just to be clear.... I have Calibre on my PC   and I'm connecting (BN Nook w/Android for Nook) to PC such that I might access my books and magazines.....

However I can't see any paid stuff...... is that what you are saying doesn't work? ... I thought that's what it was supposed to do...

Granted I am using a unique setup.... I may have to drop in at Android for Nook forum and see what they are doing... someone must have tried this before me.
Gone

Offline Greenish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 06:22:03 pm »
Maybe this part of the calibre faq helps (The list of books in calibre is blank): http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id42

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:18:30 pm »
No my Library in Calibre is fine. It comes with one book. what my issue is is this....

I can if I choose populate the Library with thinks from the Nook that I physically placed on teh Nook.. ie. my own pdfs

What I can't do is find any Nook content of purchased items.

So it's like this

Nook
My pdfs
My books - paid
MyMags - paid

PC
Calibre Library
-- I can pull My pdfs over as they are all listed but I can't see MyBooks or MyMags to pull them over.

Gone

Offline Greenish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »
That must be a DRM issue. I'm away from my pc right now, so can't check it for you right now.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:44:57 pm »
That's what I was thinking but it also comes with like two free books... of course they could be DRM too. You would think it could see them at the least... even if it wouldn't let you touch them.

I just found out there is a new OS KitKat 4.4 ... I'm going to install that and see if anything changes... I doubt it... but it does offer Flash and a couple other things.

I've got to tell you, Tablet OSs are not exactly my cup of tea. This cheap tablet has a really nice display though for movies. I got it cheap and have only had to spend maybe $20 getting a better OS on it.

I just wish I could get the stuff I buy onto my PC.
Gone

Offline Greenish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 11:20:22 am »
Totally missed the Android part in your question. I didn't even know calibre was available on android.

Offline Greenish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:24:43 am »
Where did you buy your books? Was it from the nook part of your tablet? Maybe the books are stored on the nook partition of your tablet. I don't think Android can see this.

Offline Greenish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 11:38:47 am »

I just wish I could get the stuff I buy onto my PC.

That must be possible. Where do you buy your books?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 01:14:41 pm »
Through Google Play on the Android part. But even that sees three free books... although maybe they are part of Google Play and not B&N.

Again.... Calibre is NOT on the Android and Calibre supports many many devices..... I do see comments from many people that Google has done something to prevent I believe what they call "side loading'. So I think this is a Google issue.

Updated to KitKat and no difference. So it' wasn't the Android OS.

I uploaded the Calibre user guide to the SD in Android mode last night. It shows up in Calibre on PC in Android and Nook mode.

In Nook mode there are several books and a couple magazines but none show up in Calibre on PC. It seems like if it's not on the SD card it can't be seen. Also I think that's what the sideload is. They run something to move things from internal to SD so Calibre can get to it.

Gone

Offline Greenish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 01:21:13 pm »
Google play books are only visible in the Google app, that's right. But if you go to the play store website on your pc, it is possible to download the book to your pc. I don't now the exact procedure, but I have done this several times. Problem is, since the books are DRM protected, I think I needed some Adobe program to transfer the book from my pc to my reader. Forgot the name of the program.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
Yep, I just figured that out.... Adobe Digital Editions

I didn't realize that was possible... You need a DRM removal tool to convert the .acsm file.

Soooo... at least I can get it on my PC.

I couldn't find the magazines on Google Play on the PC... only Books... but my purchased book was present and I could download the .acsm file.

Have no idea where the magazines are or what to do about that.

ETA: Found the Magazines.... need to install Google Chrome for that.... jeeze....

I 'm convinced the easiest way is what I did a month or so ago.... order several back issues at reduced prices... have them shipped her in three weeks  .. and you know.... just read them like a magazine........ it's a hell of a lot less frustrating and I can have it with me anywhere I go.... imagine that. Plus I get a nice DVD of content with them!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:29:19 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App