Author Topic: high E ball end keep unwinding  (Read 1787 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
Re: high E ball end keep unwinding
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 06:18:07 pm »
Some cheap online string are counterfeit knock offs from china. That's why their cheap. 

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 07:43:20 pm »
Yep - that's exactly what they've said in the store :)

Funny thing - on the package it's written MADE IN USA, well I guess china is new usa :)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 07:49:13 pm »
Some cheap online string are counterfeit knock offs from china. That's why their cheap.

^^This +100

If you are buying strings on ebay, I would almost guarantee that they are fake and poor quality.

It is almost impossible to tell from the packaging.

The ones I had were not as shiny as the genuine ones (D'Addario) and broke really easily.

I order from people like Strings Direct now, and haven't had any more problems.

You are probably safe buying from a real store, too, but my local shop didn't stock the acoustic strings that I like (Martin SP Phosphor Bronze) and were often out of stock for standard sets of D'Addario electric strings (10s), so what can you do?

Offline 8livesleft

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 05:21:33 am »
Thought I'd revive this thread since it's been happening to me and I'm not quite sure what's going on.

This is the 6th time this has happened on various sets: Daddario, EBall, Dean Markley, Fender. 9, 10 and even 11. Strings bought from different stores (not online).

I've also already tried superglue on the winded part. Same thing.

I have a headless R Trem clone from Overlords of Music. It's a kit guitar so I've been doing a bit of work and have had to take the strings off at the bridge (ball) end from time to time. The problem comes up when I reinstall and retune. The other strings tune fine but the high E starts detuning because it unwinds or slips through the wind.

You can see the kinks in the string.

The coil is still there but it's somehow slipping through it.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:31 am »
Try soldering it, not too much solder though.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline 8livesleft

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 08:16:46 am »
Yeah I'll try that.

One theory I have is maybe from the repeated loosening and tightening, the coil is losing it's hold.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:24 pm »
Is there anythi9ng in your setup where the front edge of wrap is grabbing on something. IOW, teh Ball is not taking the stress but rather the front edge or some part of the winding.

B=Ball
~~ = winding
--- = string

B~~~~~~~----------------------------
_______^   somewhere about right there it is catching on something and all the pressure simply pulls the winding back towards the ball. Once that starts it weakens and falls apart more easily even if the tension is later applied at the ball itself.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline 8livesleft

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 02:19:53 am »
Is there anythi9ng in your setup where the front edge of wrap is grabbing on something. IOW, teh Ball is not taking the stress but rather the front edge or some part of the winding.

B=Ball
~~ = winding
--- = string

B~~~~~~~----------------------------
_______^   somewhere about right there it is catching on something and all the pressure simply pulls the winding back towards the ball. Once that starts it weakens and falls apart more easily even if the tension is later applied at the ball itself.
That's what I thought at first, so I filed the slot and now there's a groove so the string isn't touching the edge.

But I notice the other strings touching the upper edge of the bridge plate and they're not unwinding at all.

I do see some wear on the ball itself. Maybe it's on that end that's causing the problem.

Either way, I can't know for sure unless I disassemble.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 161
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 06:13:52 pm »
One theory I have is maybe from the repeated loosening and tightening, the coil is losing it's hold.

Well, depending on how much you've done that, it may be the cause.
I can tell from the ball ends on the strings in the picture that they are Fender or d'Addario, which comes down to d'Addario either way; i recently got told by a Fender rep. that Fender still uses d'Addario as OEM string manufacturer.

Purely on a hunch; can you take another picture of the bridge, but this time with the guitar on it's back (preferably with the camera at about the same distance), then post it here ?
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 02:31:15 am »
You know, looking at that photo again. are those strings on correctly? Should the winds be sitting on the bridge saddles?

I've never had a bridge where the wraps sit on the saddles. It seems like that would make them unwind no matter what.

ETA: If the strings are installed correctly then you are just going to have to solder them. It's no big deal. Lots of people do it. I've never needed to but I can see that bridge could be a problem.

Fender Bullets... no winds.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:47:41 am by TB-AV »
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 06:21:07 am »
Not familiar with the bridge - looks like a floyd? As TB says, I think something is wrong. The ball end and wraps are far too close to the saddles. Wraps should not be on the saddles at all. I think the ball ends should be secured much further back.

EDIT. A FR tute I read said you need to cut the ball ends at the wraps, insert and lock into the bridge screws.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 05:25:06 am »
I think that's a Steinberger.

I wonder if it's made for double ball end?

I can't tell exactly what I'm looking at but something looks wrong.

If it is a Steinberger, it looks like their double ball strings have very short winds.

Yes, that's a R-Trem. I can't tell if I am looking at reflections or pieces of string unravel, but if the string winds are crossing the bridge saddles then you need different strings. Only the sing;e piece of string should break over the saddle. If that is the case then just solder them. It only takes a minute.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:42:03 am by TB-AV »
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline 8livesleft

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:00 am »

I think that's a Steinberger.

I wonder if it's made for double ball end?

I can't tell exactly what I'm looking at but something looks wrong.

If it is a Steinberger, it looks like their double ball strings have very short winds.

Yes, that's a R-Trem. I can't tell if I am looking at reflections or pieces of string unravel, but if the string winds are crossing the bridge saddles then you need different strings. Only the sing;e piece of string should break over the saddle. If that is the case then just solder them. It only takes a minute.

Hi, it's a Steinberger clone of sorts made by Overlords of Music. So, the tailpiece is double locking so you can use regular strings.

Offline 8livesleft

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 07:26:44 am »
Anyway, the saddle isn't touching the wound portion...

If ever, there's probably a friction issue inside that's getting exacerbated by fast/repeated reinstalls.

I've tried reinstalling/tuning much slower with the high e and now it seems to be holding.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App