Author Topic: Which Smart Phone  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
Re: Which Smart Phone
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:16 pm »
I wouldn't buy a Windows phone on the assumption it will be more functional or more tightly integrated with your desktop environment. In my experience Microsoft have always marketed the apparent seamlessness of their mobile platform, but other platforms have been just as capable, and often better.

If you go with Google Apps on Android, for instance, the integration of contacts, calendar, email and documents is superb, and was literally years ahead of Microsoft (who are now starting to catch up)

If you want a good phone, with good battery life, not very much bloatware and at a good price, the moto G is worth a look.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »
My bad.  Was my 2 year upgrade phone, so I really didn't/don't know what they cost in the wild....

My understanding is that in the states we get the hardware cheap so they can wildly overcharge us for the service as compared to the European cell business model where the hardware is fullprice but the contracts are reasonable...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 09:56:33 pm »
lots of good comment about the Moto G

For my listed criterion in OP, is the Moto E that much less of a phone for £60 less than Moto G?

Offline Greenish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »
Never seen the moto E in the wild, but my Moto G was worth every penny. Or eurocent.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »
There's a locked iphone 4s for £100 which would cost £20 to unlock near to me.
Does that sound reasonable?

I'm thinking they'd allow my wife to continue to learn and use just one new OS rather than yet another one (in the form of android).

That said, she finds the typing of text on the iphone 5c a little small so would the even smaller iphone 4s be more difficult?
And would this suggest she revise her thoughts about a 'small' handset?

The Moto G (again) has a 5" screen.
Another reason to consider it (or something of similar size) perhaps?

Oh ... damn these difficult decisions!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »
That said, she finds the typing of text on the iphone 5c a little small so would the even smaller iphone 4s be more difficult?
And would this suggest she revise her thoughts about a 'small' handset?

Funnily enough, the larger sized handsets seem to have been (somewhat successfully) marketed at women. Take the bizarre launch event for the the Samsung Galaxy S4, one of the first phones with a larger screen:

The marketing reasoning behind this is that, whilst such devices are a bit large for many pockets, women are more likely to be carrying a handbag, or clutch bag or similar in which they can carry a larger device.

OTOH my daughters prefer a small device because they tend to use their bra-strap to carry it when they are going out for the evening.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 04:54:45 pm »
I found a deal for a new iphone 4s on contract.
No upfront cost.
£8.99 / month over 24 months = £215.76 total cost.
Looks like that's the one.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 09:37:23 pm »
I've got an iPhone 4s and I like it. No issues with it, and it's simple to learn and use just like all Apple products (in my experience).

The one possible issue that comes to mind with the 4s is simply its age. It's now several models old, and it's likely that Apple will stop supporting it when they release the next phone. Obviously you can still use it at that point, but probably won't be able to download any new iOS updates, etc.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 10:59:18 pm »
I +1 the Nexus. I have an iPhone myself but if I didn't absolutely need it, I would've gotten one too.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App