Author Topic: metronme question  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Tazz3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
metronme question
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:24 pm »
I have a fast question about the metronme.I found a free on line one and i set it to 40 bpm.because my chord changes are rough now i wanna know if iam useing it right lol.when it clicks thats when i hit the chord right?? and when it dont click i do a chrod change right??
well so far its been really good. so when i get better i will rise the bpm
so iam i useing it right?? SO FAR ITS HELPING ME. I SHOULD HAVE USED IT SOONER

THANKS ALL

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 326
Re: metronme question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:07:04 pm »
BPM = Beats Per Minute

Beats per Minute = Tempo that is tied to a clock. Pretty much so that we have an exact reference. Since we all use the same time standard of 60s = 1minute, etc. ... MIDI notes have a time base, based on this same system. Reverb, Delay, chorus etc, also all reference this same time base of one minute. So it's a universal system. All across the world 60sec = 1 minute so 40 BPM is the same for everyone.

Now the question is.... What is a BEAT?

Well a "BEAT" has no universal singular reference. Instead it is a reference to the meter of the music being played.

Perhaps the "BEAT" for a given song is 6/8, 4/4, 12/8, 5/4, 2/4, etc... in each of those cases the second number tells you what get's a "BEAT".

As an example 4/4 means a 1/4 note gets a "BEAT" so you might strum that DUDU ... 1 2 3 4 quarter note durations to form 1 bar of music.

It's very popular for music to have one chord per BAR in simple beginner 4/4 songs.

Soo,... if you are making one down strum per bar and holding the chord, you would count strum 2 3 4 strum 2 3 4.... that would have been 2 bars of music at 40 BPM and you have played a whole note in each bar.... one single down strum per bar where you hear 4 clicks on the metronome.

Now at that same 40 BPM if you strum DUDU | DUDU on each click.... that's also 40 BPM but now you are playing 1/4 notes...

So...

Strum 2 3 4  lasts for exactly as long as DUDU. One is whole note ( 4x 1/4 note in duration ) the latter is 4 individual 1/4 notes.

Your question about when to change chords is correct. Provided the BPM is slow enough, between beat 4 and the following 1 you have to make your change.

But you need to understand what those BEATS mean otherwise when you get a song at a tempo of X BPM you may not play it correctly.

40 BPM is quite slow but if you are beginning that may be fine. If however you find that tempo aligns to a song you like.... it's quite possible the tempo is really 120.

If you are playing 40 BPM than I would expect you are strumming DUDU on each click and yes, getting that change in between the 4 and 1 is what you want to do.

IF you have doubts on BPM, TEMPO, METER, Note values.... now is the time to get that sorted out though.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline MervinGaeth

• Good Vibes 0
    • Best Boutique Amplifiers, Pedals, Electric Guitar Amps - Baroni-Lab
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:24:38 am »
BPM = Beats Per Minute

Beats per Minute = Tempo that is tied to a clock. Pretty much so that we have an exact reference. Since we all use the same time standard of 60s = 1minute, etc. ... MIDI notes have a time base, based on this same system. Reverb, Delay, chorus etc, also all reference this same time base of one minute. So it's a universal system. All across the world 60sec = 1 minute so 40 BPM is the same for everyone.

Now the question is.... What is a BEAT?

Well a "BEAT" has no universal singular reference. Instead it is a reference to the meter of the music being played.

Perhaps the "BEAT" for a given song is 6/8, 4/4, 12/8, 5/4, 2/4, etc... in each of those cases the second number tells you what get's a "BEAT".

As an example 4/4 means a 1/4 note gets a "BEAT" so you might strum that DUDU ... 1 2 3 4 quarter note durations to form 1 bar of music.

It's very popular for music to have one chord per BAR in simple beginner 4/4 songs.

Soo,... if you are making one down strum per bar and holding the chord, you would count strum 2 3 4 strum 2 3 4.... that would have been 2 bars of music at 40 BPM and you have played a whole note in each bar.... one single down strum per bar where you hear 4 clicks on the metronome.

Now at that same 40 BPM if you strum DUDU | DUDU on each click.... that's also 40 BPM but now you are playing 1/4 notes...

So...

Strum 2 3 4  lasts for exactly as long as DUDU. One is whole note ( 4x 1/4 note in duration ) the latter is 4 individual 1/4 notes.

Your question about when to change chords is correct. Provided the BPM is slow enough, between beat 4 and the following 1 you have to make your change.

But you need to understand what those BEATS mean otherwise when you get a song at a tempo of X BPM you may not play it correctly.

40 BPM is quite slow but if you are beginning that may be fine. If however you find that tempo aligns to a song you like.... it's quite possible the tempo is really 120.

If you are playing 40 BPM than I would expect you are strumming DUDU on each click and yes, getting that change in between the 4 and 1 is what you want to do.

IF you have doubts on BPM, TEMPO, METER, Note values.... now is the time to get that sorted out though.

wow...it's awesome..dude!!!! love that!!
My two blogs about guitar amplifiers and amplifer cabinets:

newbielink:http://omgamplifiers.tumblr.com/ [nonactive]
newbielink:http://ampscabinets.tumblr.com/ [nonactive]

Offline irish164

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:12:56 pm »
Hello, this is not really a reply but I dont know how to ask a question yet so I thought I'd reply to this and hopefully someone will be able to help. I'm starting out and am on stage 2 of the beginners course at the Metronome lesson. The metronome in the lesson is a Korg MA30 but its not available to buy any more, does anyone know what the direct replacement for the MA30 is please?
Thanks.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:32:59 pm »
Any metronome will do. It doesn't have yo be a Korg. Justin even has an online one on his web site
http://justinguitar.com/apps/metronome/

Offline lunarscope

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • So many positive waves - maybe we can't lose !
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:09:19 pm »
BPM = Beats Per Minute

So...

I'm confused now. Surely 4/4 time would be 1+2+3+4+ i.e., D+D+D+D+ or DUDUDUDU as Justin says that we should downstrum on the beat and upstrum in between.
Guitars: Ibanez TCM50E Talman; Cort Z42 Zenon; Squier Stratocaster.
Gear: Fender Mustang I v2; Kustom KLA10.
Road case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=36565.0
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/lunarscope

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 08:51:55 pm »
Lunar,

What TB said is correct.  But I understand your confusion.  To translate into how Justin would teach a beginner to strum, it would be down on each click, DDDD.

So where TB said, "Now at that same 40 BPM if you strum DUDU | DUDU on each click.... that's also 40 BPM but now you are playing 1/4 notes..." you could write "Now at that same 40 BPM if you strum DDDD | DDDD on each click.... that's also 40 BPM but now you are playing 1/4 notes..."

For the purposes of that post, what was trying to be explained, downs and ups really don't matter - what matters is each strum happens on a click, on the beat.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline lunarscope

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:57:10 pm »
I'm still a bit confused. So in 4/4 time the DUDUDUDU pattern would be DU for each click of the metronome ? If so, surely each D or U strum would be 1/8th of a note, therefore the time SIG is 4/8 ?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 10:40:17 pm »
No.  There are still 4 beats click click click click. TYPICALLY for 4/4 each Down is on the click (on the beat) and each Up is between the click.  Each strum is only getting half a beat

All of these are 4/4, 4 beats per measure, quarter note gets a beat.

1   2   3   4 
D   D   D   D
Each strum gets one beat.  You are strumming quarter notes.

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
D U D U D U D U
Each strum is getting half a beat you are strumming eighth notes.

But in both cases it is 4/4 time.  But you are dividing the beat by placing more than one strum over the beat.

Shadow

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 10:42:30 pm »
4/4

4 beats per bar
Each beat = 1/4th note in length = each BEAT not each NOTE --- that's a big difference ;D

So dudududu -  you're playing 2 x 1/8ths notes per beat (1+ or down up) and 2 x 1/8th = 1/4ths. So its still 4 beats per bar and each BEAT is a 1/4th note in length.

You could be playing 1/16th and strumming on 1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a but if you play each ne+a on one beat its still 4/4 time.

Hope that clarifies 8)

MMmmmm I hope I got that right. I think I have but you know self doubt and PMT sort of hand in glove. Might get a visit from Mr Big Blue Font if I missed a beat here 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:05 pm »
Scott - Have you got super fast typing fingers, or am I just getting old 8)

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 10:47:14 pm »
I'm still a bit confused. So in 4/4 time the DUDUDUDU pattern would be DU for each click of the metronome ? If so, surely each D or U strum would be 1/8th of a note, therefore the time SIG is 4/8 ?

In 4/4, there are 4 beats to the bar. One beat each time you tap your foot. If you played one downstrum per beat, D D D D, then you would be playing quarter notes. You would tap you foot on the beat and do one downstrum. If you played one downstrum and one upstrum per beat, DUDUDUDU, then you would be playing eighth notes, but you would still be in 4/4. Tapping your foot down on the beat and doing a downstrum. You would do the upstrum as your foot came up. You would count this as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. The downstrums and foot taps happen on the numbers. The upstrums come on the ands. 

If you played 2 downstrums and 2 upstrums per beat, DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU, then you would be playing 16th notes. You still would only tap your foot 4 times per bar, but 2 downs and 2 ups per foot tap.

In the time signature, the first number tells you how many beats there are in the bar (i.e. how many times you tap your foot). The second number tells you what duration note that beat corresponds to. Nothing in the time signature tells you how to subdivide that beat into half, quarter, eighth, or sixteenth notes. FWIW, Old Faithful is a mix of quarter and eighth notes.

Most of the songs from the Beginner's songbook are 4/4. A couple are 3/4: Working Class Hero. A couple are 6/8: This Year's Love and I Can't Help Falling in Love with You. They all have video lessons in which Justin explains how to count them.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 10:50:05 pm »
Scott - Have you got super fast typing fingers, or am I just getting old 8)

My fingers are about 51, but I just finished doing some scale metronome practice so they are all warmed up and feel pretty spry for an old guy...  :)

Shadow

Offline lunarscope

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 11:10:17 pm »
Thanks everyone for clearing-up my confusion. I understand it now.  :D

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 11:17:50 pm »
Glad we clarified that Lunar. :)

My fingers are about 51, but I just finished doing some scale metronome practice so they are all warmed up and feel pretty spry for an old guy...  :)

Shadow

Scott - 51 to 59 (near as damn it) you'll see that pace drop over the next 8 years :). So are you recommending pre-post scale practice ? That's an interesting approach to practice sessions 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App