Author Topic: Acoustic pickups  (Read 3195 times)

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Acoustic pickups
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:53:00 pm »
Looking for a Xmas present to myself.  Are any of these acoustic pickups worth the effort to get installed on my Seagull, or should I just save up for an acoustic/electric?

Reason is I found a great local buy on Craigslist of a good 2 channel acoustic amp.
Gretsch G2622 Streamliner
Squier Classic 60's Vibe Stratocaster
Martin DCPA5 Acoustic Guitar
Fender Superchamp X2
My Soundcloud >> https://soundcloud.com/sfdonovan

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
    • Texas Music Blog
Re: Acoustic pickups
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 03:26:40 pm »
Hey Donovan,

I've been contemplating the same thing. I have a Seagull S6 and was talking to my local guitar guy about adding pickups to it. My "dream guitar" is a Gibson J-45 custom which uses L.R. Baggs Element pickups and so he told me I could install those and it would suffice as a substitute for now. He claimed that I could get a similar sound as a J-45 when plugged in since the pickups significantly contribute to the tone. I'm a little skeptical on that but I suppose that could be the case. I'm really into Texas Red Dirt music and the J-45 is THE acoustic that a lot of those guys play. But the customs run 3K and up *yikes*. Admittedly, I know very little about pickups but I thought it was interesting that you were also thinking about adding them to your Seagull.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »
I've heard good about the S. Duncan pickup.
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 06:31:44 pm »
I was playing some acoustic guitars at the music store that had Fishman pickups in them. I was impressed!
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:36:26 pm »
You know, if I'm never planning on performing live, I'll probably never really need a pickup.  I think I'm just looking for an excuse to spend money.   :o
Gretsch G2622 Streamliner
Squier Classic 60's Vibe Stratocaster
Martin DCPA5 Acoustic Guitar
Fender Superchamp X2
My Soundcloud >> https://soundcloud.com/sfdonovan

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:55:21 pm »
You just answered the question I had...why do you want the pickups? :)

Since it's not for performance, if you mostly just want it for recording and messing around, you may look into getting a mic and stand instead.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:56:19 pm »
True that. I've recently come to the conclusion that no acoustic guitar pickup system can come close to a decent condenser mic sitting in front of the guitar. They can be awesome for live shows, but for recording, just mic it.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 07:47:15 pm »
You know, if I'm never planning on performing live, I'll probably never really need a pickup.  I think I'm just looking for an excuse to spend money.   :o

Yeah, if you're not planning to play live, you can get better results on recordings using a good mic and pre. That's what I would spend the money on. and actually; I've had good results mic'ing acoustic guitars or running the pickup to an acoustic guitar amp and mic'ing it - but the mics used for sound reinforcement would generally be different than one that you would select for recording.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:03:19 pm by Scooter Trash »
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App