Author Topic: Peter Green Mod  (Read 3366 times)

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
Peter Green Mod
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:42:19 pm »
Hi folks

I am thinking of getting some iron gear pickups:

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_016.htm

I have heard nothing but good about them and I am sure they are an upgrade to the wilkinson ones in my guitar. I was wondering if it would be worth it to have the peter green mod done while they are being installed?

Has anyone on the forum done had thus done?

Cheers

Ant
Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: Peter Green Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:11:23 pm »
Did the Peter Green out of phase sound really exist? Or is it just companies marketing gimmicks.

I saw this on Justin's Peter Green Lesson.

My buddy David Mead just emailed me with some interesting notes about the guitar sound.

All this is © David Mead.

<<<<<<<<<<

I saw on FB that you're doing 'Need Your Love...' by Fleetwood Mac. Quick story: there's an awful lot of fuss made about the fact that Peter's guitar had the neck pick-up reversed and the myth still goes that he rewired it so it was out of phase – but as far as I know this is completely wrong. I interviewed Peter years ago and he said that all he did was take the pick-up out and accidentally put it back in the wrong way around. He didn't rewire it. As we know, you don't have to take the pick-up out to work on the wiring.

Furthermore, when Gary Moore was recording the album 'Blues For Greeny' he asked me to write the CD cover notes and also invited me up to the studios (Sarm West in London) to hear some mixes. When I got there, the Peter Green Les Paul was in the studio on a stand and I asked Gary if I could play it. When I did so two things struck me: firstly it was the lightest Les Paul I've ever picked up and secondly it had the so called 'out of phase' sound acoustically.

So my take on the whole Peter Green 'magic' Les Paul sound is that he had a very rare, light and naturally nasal/honky sounding instrument. All he had to do was add his genius and there was his sound. Just to back this up further, I don't think Gary ever managed to achieve the same sound with that guitar. In his hands it sounded different, but not the same

So many pick-up manufacturers make a special 'Peter Green Set' with an out of phase wiring configuration when it just wasn't the case. I'm sure Gary [Moore] told me that they weren't out of phase as well.

Gary bought that Les Paul for £120 – Peter wouldn't take any more for it, he just wanted it to go to a good home. It was also involved in a car accident while Gary had it where the neck was broken and had to be repaired by putting a steel bolt in the neck.

This is an excerpt from the interview I did with Peter, talking about the Les Paul.

"I didn't have it rewired, it's just backwards, that's all. I didn't use the neck pickup very much and so for some reason I took it off. I can't remember why. I played it for a while with only one pickup but when I put it back on, I just put it on backwards with the screws pointing towards to the tailpiece instead of near the neck."
But surely the wiring was reversed at some point?
"No, it's just on backwards, that's all," he insists. But this really turns things around - where does the out-of-phase sound come from?
"People keep telling me about this out-of-phase thing but I don't know anything about it. It was just round the wrong way. If you take the cover off there are two pickups underneath which look like Strat pickups close together, but I didn't touch those. It must have been like that already..."

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks David!!

Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
Re: Peter Green Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 06:17:06 pm »
Cheers for the reply. It's definitely something to think about. I have read this article which seems to suggest that the magnets were in the wrong way

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Secret_of_Peter_Greens_Tone
Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Get The Forum As A Mobile App