Author Topic: Chord substitutions and choice of chords that do not belong to the key  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Jotapi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Hello,

Please, I would like to ask if someone could explain or if there are ressources available on the web explaining:

1- the chord substitutions (to M7, 7, min7, sus2, sus4, extended chords, etc.) applied on basic chord progressions in a key (example: why a first chord G should be played as a GM7, the fourth chord C as a Csus4, etc.),
2- the choice of chords which do not belong to the key (example: why a chord that should be played as a minor chord is played as a major chord, etc.),

when composing guitar parts for each of these music genres: blues, pop, rock, hard rock, metal, folk, funk, etc.?

I am asking these two questions because I would like to understand how guitar players selected chords to create the songs that I am learning from Justin's lessons.

Yours sincerely,

Jean

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
Re: Chord substitutions and choice of chords that do not belong to the key
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:12:04 am »
Have you gone through my practical music theory ebook yet? I think that will answer a lot of your questions!

1. See jazz chord substitutions lessons and the jazz chord concept - even if you don't want to play jazz.

2. regarding chord choices out of key - it's just about sound... you can look up secondary dominants or see this lesson on the real ear method!

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/JA-034-ReharmonisingNotesInChordMelody.php

:) J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Jotapi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:57:49 pm »
Hi Justin,

Thank you very much for your answer!

Indeed, I found informations related to my questions at the page 24 of your Practical Music Theory ebook.

I will go after the jazz concepts you mentionned in your answer.

Cheers,

Jean  :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »
Also get yourself a circle of Fifths. Adjacent Keys share a lot of the same notes/chords and you can also "walk the circle" and stop at any place.

Just get a circle and google some stuff. Lots of little things the circle can do for getting 'other' chords.

Too much to go into and different people have different little ideas.

Gone

Offline Jotapi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:14:51 pm »
Hi TB-AV,

Thanks a lot for your answer!  :)

Indeed, after reading it, I searched and found some sites explaining how using the circle of fifths for chord substitutions:

http://www.lotusmusic.com/blog/circle-of-fifths-tritone-chord-substitution/

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/substitutions.html

Etc.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:39:10 pm »
It's probably mentioned on one of those sites but if you recall a popular progression is vi ii V I... Look at your circle.

Pick A for instance... now make that ii or Am. Now just walk CCW A D G C vi ii V I Am Dm G7 C

Also and I got this from a Jazz friend. this is not so much about substitution as maybe modulations. But any time you play a minor chord no matter what it is and what the context.... consider it as though it's a ii chord and carry on from there.

It just leads you down other interesting paths.

Also chromatic movement. Check out notes that are a half step off 'normal'. It is likely it will build a nice chord but it won't necessarily an in key chord.

There is plenty of stuff to do but the really harder part is connecting it all smoothly. So maybe you use the wheel for one idea and some chromatic touches so that things don't move so abruptly.
Gone

Offline Jotapi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 12:54:18 am »
 :) Thank you again for these very useful advices!

Offline ClareM

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:16:45 pm »
Also and I got this from a Jazz friend. this is not so much about substitution as maybe modulations. But any time you play a minor chord no matter what it is and what the context.... consider it as though it's a ii chord and carry on from there.

It just leads you down other interesting paths.

Oooooooooh! You ain't wrong there!
Just spent a goodly long time at the piano wandering all over the place ;-)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App