Author Topic: Beginner Songs - Q&As  (Read 6158 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
Beginner Songs - Q&As
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:09:42 am »
For Q&As on:
Cecilia - Simon And Garfunkel
Sunny Aftenoon - The Kinks
Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) - Steve Harley
First Cut Is The Deepest, The - Cat Stevens
Give Peace A Chance - Plastic Ono Band
All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
Be My Baby - The Ronettes
Take It Easy - The Eagles
Catch The Wind - Donovan
Surfin USA - The Beach Boys
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
You Got To Hide Your Love Away - Beatles
Cherry Cherry - Neil Diamond
Bye Bye Love - The Everly Brothers
Band Of Gold - Freyda Payne

Offline RickW

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Beginner Songs - Q&As
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:26:55 pm »
Re: fingering of chords in the "tricky" part: D  D/C  D/B  D/A progression. Instead of fingering the D/B as you suggest, why not use your index finger (1) to bar across the first three strings (G B E) at the second fret, plant your pinky (4) on the second string at the third fret, and use your middle finger (2) to grab the second fret of the fifth string?  If one uses his or her index finger to bar the first three strings at the second fret and one's pinky at the third fret of the B string for the D and the D/C chords, it's an easier chord change from D/C to D/B than what you propose. (I don't have my guitar with me now so I'm not sure which finger I use to play the third fret of the fifth string in the D/C. I think it is also my middle finger, but it could be my ring finger).

[mod edit - post refers to The Beatles, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:34:58 am by close2u »

Offline RickW

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:30:25 pm »
I checked and I use my ring finger to play the third fret of the fifth string in the D/C chord.

Offline RickW

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:02:40 am »
Re: Sunny Afternoon. I'm not sure I would categorize this one as a beginner song. I've been trying to play the "bridging barre" Dm/Bflat for two weeks and it just started sounding right today. The whole descending bass part is finally starting to sound like music, but I'm still not there. It's challenging. By way of comparison, I've been working on Waterloo Sunset at the same time. It's intermediate+. For me the chords are a lot easier than the chords in the descending bass part of Sunny Afternoon, and my playing Waterloo Sunset sounds better than Sunny Afternoon. The only other song I've practiced in this book is Hide Your Love Away (beginner) and the chord shapes in that one are easier than Sunny Afternoon. Anyone else learning these songs?

Offline RubyQbls

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:04 am »
Hi Justin,

I really enjoy this song.

[mod edit - post refers to Steve Harley - Make Me Smile]

I have worked out and practiced the solo. I have it about 90% sounding right. You mentioned that you would do a solo lessen for this song. When might you be doing that. I would really appreciate some finer points on playing triplets etc.

Cheers Mike
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:24:35 pm by close2u »

Offline bigdave58

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 10:39:37 am »
I just have a quick question about "Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran". Justin talks about muting the strings on beat 1, but whenever I try this I still get buzzing strings and not the crisp "scratch" that Justin gets. I don't think he is doing a palm mute and also checked the other videos on string muting, but it doesn't seem to apply.

By the way, I am thoroughly enjoying the course. Have purchased Beginner Song Book, RUST DVD and also the intermediate book. I also met Justin live at the Frankfurt Book Fair and he signed my books.

Thanks for all your good work and looking forward to a reply.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 141
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 12:32:50 pm »
bigdave58 Welcome and glad to see you're enjoying the course. I reckon Justin covers what you're talking about on the RUST1 course. Its in the later part of the course.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
My Band: https://www.facebook.com/retrospectivemusicuk/
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0A

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:04 pm »
@bigdave

Couple of things

1) Both too much or too little pressure on the strings can cause issues.  You want your fingers laying on the strings solidly but not enough to push them down towards the frets.

2) You want more than one finger laying across the strings to avoid string harmonics.  Sometimes depending on gain volume and the specific finger location if you only have one finger muting a string you can get a harmonic ringing out.

To work on it you could break it down like this:

Lay all four fretting hand fingers across the strings - just barely touching them.   Start strumming.  Slowly increase and relax the pressure until you find the sweet spot with enough pressure to mute the strings, but not so much that you are starting to get them rattling on the frets or actually playing notes.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App