Author Topic: Beginner Songs - Q&As  (Read 2477 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
Beginner Songs - Q&As
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:13:25 am »
For Q&As on:

Breakeven - The Script
I Gotta Feeling - The Black Eyed Peas
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
(Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams
Super Trouper - ABBA
Realize - Colbie Caillat
Rise - Gabrielle
Sing - Travis
Teardrops On My Guitar - Taylor Swift
The Passenger - Iggy Pop
What Took You So Long? - Emma Bunton
You're Still The One - Shania Twain
Love the Way You Lie - Eminem Feat. Rihanna
You're So Vain - Carly Simon

Offline Bie4u

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Beginner Songs - Q&As
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:20:20 am »
Hello,

Is there anywhere on Justin's website where there is an explanation on how to read the riffs. I really can't read it, don't know what all the numbers are for ...

Just bought the pop songbook, started with the first song 'Breakeven' and I'd like to try to play the riffs.

Thanks!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:29:06 am »
@ Bie4u

It's TAB.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/ES-080-HowToReadGuitarTAB.php

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you could probably benefit from going through the basics before you attempt the riffs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:22:49 pm by close2u »
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:17:09 pm »
Agreeing with Joueur here. Sounds to me you are starting at the wrong end of your guitar journey.
If you really want to play the guitar you should throw yourself into the Beginners Course. When you are ready the secrets of TAB will reveal themselves.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:23:22 pm by close2u »
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:18:40 pm »
And just like the Sound of Music start here https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-101-CommonQuestions.php start at the very beginning. Simples  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Bie4u

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:32:22 am »
The thing is, I already had some lessons from a teacher (live  ;)) before I found out about Justin Guitar on web. So I know how to strum, I know a lot of chords and I can play songs. And I did begin with the lessons of Justin, from the beginning, but I know this already and now I want to learn about riffs, but cannot find it. So thanks for the link. I will definitely look into it!
Bie

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:38 pm »
So... you know how to strum, chords, and play songs yet you don't know how to read tab? Reading tab isn't all that complicated and I would think you would have easily picked it up organically if you can do those other things. I don't know what "learning about riffs" means other than you can 1) look up the tablature or 2)  work them out by ear (which is better for you). There is a Classic Solos section of the website that can teach you some of the more famous lead lines and solos

If "learn about riffs" you mean "play lead guitar" I encourage you to look at Justin's Blues Lead courses on his website.If may be what you are looking for.

Offline Yost72

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 03:47:53 pm »
I saw this thread, and I am in a similar position to Bie4u. I purchased the Beginner's Course and have gone through this and am building up my confidence. I have just bought the Pop Songbook, and saw the riffs set out in tab form for Breakeven, but I haven't seen them laid out like this before, and I cannot see it like this on Justin Guitar or any other website.

1/ I was not sure what the joined together notes mean - my guess is you play them both within a single beat, whereas if there is only a single note, that is the only one you play on that beat?
2/ For the single beats, I don't know what the straight line is which points up (or down) from the number representing the fret?
3/ On Riff 2, the second beat there is something which looks like a 7, and I'm not sure what this is?
4/ Then next to that there is a 7 with something which looks like a flag going up from it. Again, not sure what this is?
5/ Also, if this song is to be played with a capo on the 3rd fret, how can some of the notes be played on the 3rd fret which both riffs require?

Sorry if this all should be obvious but I have gone through all of the tab-related sections of the Justin Guitar website and app, and also tried to Google other sites and cannot find the answers. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:23:53 pm by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 06:54:45 pm »
1/ I was not sure what the joined together notes mean - my guess is you play them both within a single beat, whereas if there is only a single note, that is the only one you play on that beat?
The song is in 4/4 time.
Think four beats.
Notes that are 'joined' in the firstriff are two eighth notes. Notes that are not joined are quarter notes.
Each of the four bars of riff one have:
2x 1/8 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 2x 1/8 = 4/4

Eighths last half the length of quarters. So those notes are shorter in duration, happen quicker.

2/ For the single beats, I don't know what the straight line is which points up (or down) from the number representing the fret?
If this was sheet music written on a musical stave, the quarter notes would have stems (the straight lines) pointing up or down and the eighth notes would have stems (pointing up or down) with flags (to connect to the adjacent eighth note. Whether they point up or down is usually a question of 'best appearance' depending on what else is written on the page nearby,
See the images below.

When TAB is written the idea of the stems and flags is adopted. The 'note head' becomes a number rather than an open or closed black dot.

3/ On Riff 2, the second beat there is something which looks like a 7, and I'm not sure what this is?
You can see this on beat 2 of bars 1 and 3 and also on beat 1 of bars 2 and 4.

That is the symbol for a musical 'rest' of duration one eighth.
See image.

There is no guitar / music for that short section of the bar.

4/ Then next to that there is a 7 with something which looks like a flag going up from it. Again, not sure what this is?
That is an eighth note with its flag.
Because the immediately preceding eighth was a rest, and not another eighth note, the flag for this note is waving free by itself, not connected to another.

5/ Also, if this song is to be played with a capo on the 3rd fret, how can some of the notes be played on the 3rd fret which both riffs require?

I don't know the song and have not attempted to play this.
But the fret numbers will need to be taken as counted from the capo not from the open string position / nut.

Offline Yost72

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 07:14:32 pm »
Cheers, most of that makes sense. I can’t recall covering any of that in the beginner section though!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 07:40:52 pm »
Cheers, most of that makes sense. I can’t recall covering any of that in the beginner section though!

It is not in the beginner section and you do not need to know it.
As Justin emphasises many, many times,listen to the song over and over and play it until it sounds  good / right. Let your ears guide you, play by feel.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App