Author Topic: BS-104 • Walk Of Life - Dire Straits  (Read 13176 times)

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: BS-104 • Walk Of Life - Dire Straits
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 08:37:38 am »
Well, I don't know if this is your question, and I'm not really well-versed on this, but I don't think a song "has" an absolute strumming pattern in the same way that it has a melody, or uses certain chords. There are different strumming patterns you can use, but it's still the same song. A certain version will have a certain strumming pattern however, so if you intend to play exactly like a specific recording, you will have to listen closely. But Justin in general teaches simplified versions, where he suggests a pattern that won't be too difficult. He often suggests another pattern to use once you have more experience, which will sound a bit better and more like the well-known versions. But it's still the same song :-)

When you're learning a song in the BSB you might start with strumming a chord only once per bar, to get the hang of where the chords change. Then strum four downstrums per bar, then any kind of strumming pattern Justin suggests or any extra flourishes that you think sound cool. I would still say that as long as you're changing to the right chords at the right moment while singing the melody, you are "playing the song".
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 427
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 10:36:52 pm »
I notice in the video Justin throws in a shuffle as he plays the chords and goes on to mention this will be shown later
Although I am not at that stage yet nevertheless he has now intrigued  me enough to want to see how this is done

Check out the blues rhythm lessons ... this is a classic rock n roll (where the chunka chunka is played with straight eighths rhythm) and blues (where it is played with a shuffle feel)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:30:49 am by close2u »

Offline sk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:45 pm »
Hi everyone - I've just started learning the guitar and am trying to play the walk of life as part of stage 1. I've got an electric guitar - anyone got any tips for playing this on electric rather than acoustic? Justin's video seems to cater only for acoustic players! Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 05:00:30 am »
SK, I'm also a beginner and only playing acoustic.  But from all I know of Stage 1 and the little I know of electrics, you should play it exactly the same way i.e. 4 down strums per bar. 

You will want a clean sound on your electric.  So on your amp the gain should be turned down and use the master volume to get a decent sound level.  You may also turn the volume down on the guitar a little as well.  The reason being if the gain is right up, you will get lots more sustain, even some distortion on the sound and that could end up sounding like one continuous muddy mess.

That is not ultimately the way to get a great tone from the electric but at stage 1 that is not what it's all about.

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 07:59:07 pm »
At the risk of resurrecting a topic that's over a year old. I'm really struggling with this and indeed many of the Stage 1 songs.

It's not the chord changes, I can do those no problem (well most of the time) it's knowing when to change.
I mean I get that for the verse and pre-chorus it's just 4 strums of each chord but when it gets to Chorus 1 the bar starts 3 words in and without a backing track I can't tell when to change. If I play the original I find that it's played so much faster than in Justin's video and I end up strumming at double time.

If I try and read the lyrics then I'm concentrating so much on that, that I miss the chord changes. It's like my brain will only let me do one thing at a time. I can either strum chords 4 beats to the bar, read lyrics, or make up my own rhythm but I can't do any two of them together.

Any tips for breaking through this barrier or should I have kept the receipt for my guitar  ;)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 08:41:43 pm »
Go to youtube and find a backing track or karaoke version and slow it down.
In the youtube settings you can slow down the video .75  ,5 or ,25 speed
without changing the pitch. You can also get software that slows down
as well.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 11:57:31 pm »
Better still get a free copy of Riffstation https://www.techradar.com/news/fenders-riffstation-pro-is-now-free-get-the-chords-for-any-song-on-your-desktop or buy for around £25.

It not only can slow down tracks without effecting pitch but is very accurate in identifying chords. So you play the track, it shows you the chord progression, the chord being played and the next chord in the progression. And for those awkward songs that throw up chord shapes that ain't open, you have a capo setting, so you can move the virtual capo up the neck and find those BC Open chords you know and love, simples. 
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline jump

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2019, 02:51:10 pm »
                               hi when u wacth justins video on the walk of life song
              In the chorus there are two strums for each chord but
               how do you fit the words to the song in the two strums
                           thank u

Get The Forum As A Mobile App