Author Topic: BS-104 • Walk Of Life - Dire Straits  (Read 11182 times)

Offline LoriB

• Good Vibes 0
    • Future Relics Gallery
Re: BS-104 • Walk Of Life - Dire Straits
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 02:38:25 am »
I’m having the hardest time with the shuffle pattern at the end of the video. I’ve gotten good with the blues shuffle (later on in the beginner’s course) but this one alludes me.
It seems like sometimes Justin is counting 1&2&3&4 and sometimes he’s counting 1234 & I’m not 100% sure if it’s all downstrokes or down and up. Whichever I do doesn’t sound like the video.
Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks,

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 10:25:01 am »
He is strumming down and up for the shuffle pattern.

The 4th fret note is added on beats 2 and 4 for each chord.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline LoriB

• Good Vibes 0
    • Future Relics Gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 11:05:14 pm »
Thanks, that sounds more like it although I am catching an extra string on my way up but I suspect that will improve with practice.

Offline chesslevin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 10:22:35 am »
Hi there,

I've watched and trained with BS-104. At the end of the video Justin shows the rock'n roll pattern and mentioned it comes later in the beginners course. I've scanned several videos, but can't find the one where he explains the rock'n roll pattern in detail. Can anyone help me with an URL that points to it?

Thank you in advance
chess

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 12:08:10 pm »

Offline FrankCobretti

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 03:32:34 am »
Not really a question, but an observation.

I feel like I have this song down with rock 'n roll pattern, so I patched the Dire Straits track through my amp and played along with the song.  It was so much fun!  I got this big, goofy, ear-to-ear smile and just got lost in the music.  Thanks to Justin and the JustinGuitar technical team for making this moment of joy possible!

Offline Dave45

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 04:24:04 pm »
Hi Currymonster,
I would  play 2  strums of D then two strums of A (4 beats per bar)
Hope that make sense
Dave
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:29:51 pm by close2u »

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 04:38:31 pm »
Chord charts are not music notation.
They don't tell you what to do, they tell you what chords to play
You use your ears to learn the stumming patterns and to get the fee, of the music.
As beginner just follow Justin. He is starting you off slowly to help you learn. You
wan't playing song as they are on the record for a long time.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 04:49:59 pm »
The song book does not contain that information. It may contain snippets of suggested patterns, but very rarely a complete strumming pattern.

There's a couple reason I can think of for why.
It keeps things simple. You get the chords, and the lyrics. If you were to add in complete strumming patterns, you'd need more pages per song, so you'd either end up with an even thicker book, or less songs.

The other reason, is it allows you to strum in a way that suits your skill level, without implying you need to be able to do complex patterns in order to play the song. As a beginner, you might only manage a single strum per bar, which would at least let you play along with songs. You could then progress to 4 strums per bar (assuming it's a 4 beats per bar song). Then you have the option of using more complex strumming patterns, as your skills develop.
It's one of the reasons the songbooks are so well recommended. They contain songs that you can play at a very basic level, and then gradually incorporate more skills into.

As to how you find out suitable strumming patterns, tutorial videos will give suggestions, or listen to the original song.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 05:18:09 pm »
Actually tabs don't tell you strumming patterns either. Guitar players use their ears not their eye to learn
songs. This stems from how we learnt song before the internet. It is still the best way to learn.
This is why Justin has a transcribing course. But do the whole beginner course before trying transcibing
by ear.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 06:51:06 pm »
In a nutshell, yes, you need to know a bit about the song to play it.
Personally I like to think of the songbooks as an aide memoire, with some hints thrown in. Generally when learning a song, the strumming pattern is the easy bit to remember, so once you know that, the book provides a nice compact reference for chords/lyrics.

Guitar is a bit problematic to physically write music for, as the same note could be played in several different places.
TAB shows exact note position, but no timing details.
Traditional music score shows exact timing and notes, but not where that note is played.

Even official TAB books use a mix. I've seen a mix of the TAB covering just the lead guitar and relying on the notation for timing with chord boxes shown along with a rhythm shown above the TAB/notation, the TAB just covering the rhythm and switching to the lead only when needed, and a mix of TAB with it's own rhythm shown, and the notation just covering the vocal line.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 08:11:49 pm »
There is a bit of inconsistency with the vertical lines.

For intros (or any section with no lyrics), the vertical lines depict one bar, however during lyrics, each chord is assumed to be a full bar, and only where there is a vertical line, does that indicate there is more than one chord to each bar.
I'll admit it can be one of the most confusing parts of the book.

I've just had a look at some TAB, and the sheet music for Walk of Life, and Justin has simplified it by halving the bar count. I.e. for every bar in the book, the sheet music has two bars.
So sticking with the book, for the Pre-chorus, you play each chord 4 times per bar, then when you get to the Chorus, there are two chords per bar, and you only play each chord twice.

For information, if you want to look at the sheet music, musicroom.com sells it digitally, but they let you preview the first page. So if you search the song, it gives you various options. The first option showing only Melody Line, Lyrics, and chords, shows the most of the song (actually, it shows the entire song!), however Justin has written the book with a capo on the 7th, meaning EA&B on the sheet music, become AD&E shapes played with a capo on the 7th, so as to avoid having to play a B (which you would normally play as an A shape barre, making it not very beginner friendly!)

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 09:56:58 pm »
12 Bar blues is covered in a later stage lesson, and having just done a quick check it's stage 8.

A basic 12 bar blues progression uses the I, IV, and V chords, and unsurprisingly covers 12 bars.
If you flip the songbook back a page to Hound Dog, you'll see a classic basic 12 bar blues. A is the I (one) chord, D the IV (four) chord, and E the V (five) chord.
The other good example in the book, is Before You Accuse me. In that your I,IV, V are E,A,B7 (you can swap any major chord for a 7, to give a bit suspense in a 12bar blues).
Knowing your I,IV, and V rely on learning a bit about scale theory, which isn't recommended until after the beginners course, but can be learnt at any time, as it does help with understanding why certain things are the way they are. The reason it's not recommended until later, is to avoid overloading beginners with information, as you don't really need to know any theory to play an instrument, as long as you play what you're supposed to.

Offline Holensum

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 10:19:32 pm »
Thanks very much for the replies.

At this stage I'm just trying to put some kind of logic to how I see things in an attempt to assist my learning.
Thanks again
I'm a year into learning the guitar, and still struggle with intros and strumming. Just keep listening and trying to match and it will start coming.

Gets real when the time is 3/4 or 6/8 for a song you are wanting to learn, because the beginners song are 4/4.

Also, the strumming patterns so far in the beginners lessons are all on 4/4 time, e.g.; D D D D; DuD DuDu; D DuD Du, etc.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 12:35:08 am »
A part of me wishes Justin wouldn't keep throwing these distractions In to beginners stages as I for one find it a little confusing and almost a temptation to jump the gun a little. 
Cheers

Oh yeah I hear ya Currymonster, wanting to fly before you can crawl  :D  You'll most probably find these 'distractions' give you another level of learning, skill and undertanding if you go back over the course at a later stage. It's also a great way of seeing how much you've progressed. I've worked my way through BC three times and every time I find gems that I didn't see or understand or have enough skill to be able to use. These books are fantastic value and give you a chance to go beyond Beginner.

Best wishes with your learning  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App