Author Topic: Beginner's Thread  (Read 131232 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Beginner's Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2014, 08:42:01 pm »
@phx1973
Good first post ... and its value will only be fully revelaed as you continue to learn and make yourself into a better player ... then you can listen back and marvel at your progress.
I hear mostly good clean chords with chord changes coming on time.
Can't ask for much more after such a little time - especially with you singing at the same time.
Good stuff.
Good vibes to you
:)

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2014, 10:53:22 pm »
well done on everyone posting their recordings etc here. I would like to do the same, but I currently have no means of inputting any sound or audio, not owning a webcam, or even a microphone that I could plug in at this time. Will see if I can find one soon.  I am ever so slightly ahead of being an absolute beginner. In fact I'm at the end of the beginners course (but I skipped the songs), and now going back to the beginning starting with some of the songs, it's just they way I wanted to do it and see if that would work for me, time will tell :-)
Dont skip the songs...
Whats the point in Learning guitar if You cant play a song?
You are not ahead, im affraid... Your behind ...

Go and learn songs, It's not to late;-)

Regards,
De_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 12:26:23 am »
@torikoos I recorded mine with my phone an emailed it to myself.

I have a microphone on my computer and audacity but every time I tried that way my playing got even worse.

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 12:56:10 am »
OK, here we go. First ever recording. A small section of "What's Going On", 4 Non Blondes.

I dropped the ball a bit at the start with a wrong chord and my strumming needs some (read "a lot") of work, but I'm happy with progress so far.

Mouth-to-strum-to-chord co-ordination not there enough to sing yet, as soon as I open my mouth my arms simply stop moving!! so you're all spared from my Teesside 'Boro' drone, for now.....

Anyway, this is me about 4 weeks into the beginners course and on about lesson 3 or 4 from memory (up to Am Dm & C7 G7 lessons).

Waiting for my RUST DVD and Beginners Songbook to arrive, (hopefully before Christmas break so I have time to digest and practice it).

Recorded on the iPhone with no external mic, just the phone.

https://soundcloud.com/numbnutsguitar/whats-going-on
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:31:45 am by close2u »

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2014, 01:11:22 am »
I wish I was doing that at 4 weeks.

Strumming is very good for where you're at. You've got a good rhythm and the tempo is pretty even - many people struggle with this, and that's why their tunes sound a bit all over the place. You played a song.

Don't attempt singing for a while.

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2014, 01:18:51 am »
Thanks Drubbing. 4 weeks is a slight exaggeration in the sense that I have owned a guitar for years. Every couple of years I pick it up and play the same G C D A E chords in some form or other, then get bored and it fades away again.

Since finding Justin Guitar I've become massively enthusiastic about actually learning to play, and not just repeating the same basic chords ad infinitum.

This was, however, the first time I've attempted any kind of structured strumming pattern rather than just free styling a few basic chords.

I'm going to set aside the weekend to go back through the first 3-4 lessons properly again as I skipped the ear training and the metronome, mainly due to not having a good space at home to set up properly so I've been running the lessons from scraps of paper and concentrating on 1 minute changes.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:32:43 am by close2u »

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 01:41:02 am »
Ah that's cheating. In that case, you're crap and need to lift your game…

Seriously, the strumming is pretty natural, the chords changes smooth. I think you've just got to stick at it consistently. Little and often (everyday preferably) not big slabs of time 2-4 days a week.

The problem with your previous approach is there's no structure, even if you're picking random covers off YT to copy. You've no idea if it's within your capabilities or not. Justin's course builds logically and even tells you what to practice.

As for 'formal' strum patterns, I know Justin's RUST has dozens of them, but there's not that many that get used a lot. Even the percussive mutes are just rhythmic variations on a handful of patterns.

I'm playing as many songs as I can at present, and feel I'm cheating or 'stuck' because nearly everything I choose seems to be DDuuD. But the different chords, changes mid beat, rhythms and tempos mean they're all clearly different tunes. I also tend to throw in my own variations on patterns with tunes I know well, and if it sounds good, it is good.

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 01:58:14 am »
Ah that's cheating. In that case, you're crap and need to lift your game…

Lol, yep! Seriously though, that was the first time I'd played anything that sounded remotely musical to me, so I whipped out the phone and hit record. I seem to have gone backwards a bit since then, (that was about 4 nights ago?).

Little and often (everyday preferably) not big slabs of time 2-4 days a week.

Absolutely. I've been doing 20-30 minutes every day. Basically, as per practice schedules. 5 minutes chord practice, 5 minutes finger warm up. 1 minute changes then just messing about for a bit. Most of my 1 minute changes are up at the 60 mark, there's a few in there I'm still working on before I move on to the next lesson, and as I say, I want to go back over and play with metronome and do the ear training before I go to the next lesson too.

The problem with your previous approach is there's no structure, even if you're picking random covers off YT to copy. You've no idea if it's within your capabilities or not. Justin's course builds logically and even tells you what to practice.

Couldn't agree more! Finding this site has been a revelation. I'd play simple 3 chord John Denver type songs here and there, but that was it as far as it went. Every time I sat down to "practice" I'd just filter out an "easy" song on Ultimate Guitar and skip anything that had a chord I didn't know, (most of them). So, it just meant I basically played the same 3 chords in varying patterns and falling into the trap of practicing what you can do, not what you can't. Following a structured routine and actually learning something before you move on has been great. Flicking through the forum and listening to peoples sound clouds from beginner to 12 months in has been fantastic, it really helps keep you motivated knowing that it is possible to learn to play with the right teacher and right structure.

Can't wait to get home from work tonight and get these last couple of 1 minute changes nailed....

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 02:15:03 am »
I'm sure you'll make a lot of progress quickly. you've got some good basics to build on already. Give it 6 months of following the course and you'll be playing stuff you never thought you could do.

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 02:19:04 am »
@ Drubbing l

Thanks man.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:34:12 am by close2u »

Online phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2014, 03:05:12 am »
@ Numbnuts

Good job here. We are about the same as I am about 5 weeks into the program. Interestingly, I am now going back and starting to record songs from the first few weeks before I move on any more. I think it will help me get to where I need to be with my chord changes. Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:34:35 am by close2u »
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Online phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2014, 03:06:39 am »
@ close2u
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. It's great that this forum is so supportive and helpful.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:35:15 am by close2u »
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2014, 06:36:39 am »
@ Numbnuts
Looking forward to more (from a fellow Teessider) as you follow the structure of the BC.
Your first recording shows lots of potential with chord changes and rhythm all coming along.
:)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:10:09 am by close2u »

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2014, 06:45:21 am »
@close2u Thanks mate. I managed to "escape" the Boro in 2007 and fled to the land down under, been in Melbourne ever since. I haven't been back at all since I left, weirdly. Didn't intend not to come back to visit, but time has just sort of gotten away. I do miss the place, (30 years on the same estate Marton/Nunthorpe).

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2014, 08:19:18 am »
@Numbnuts good start to "What's going on" . It's got a pretty tricky strumming pattern as I recollect and this one took me ages to get anywhere half decent (let alone add singing) so a big +1 for getting this one down. Probably just need to get the timing more even (use a metronome or tap the foot) and the strumming a little tighter. I'd carry on practicing this until the rhythm is absolutely second nature THEN try adding some vocal to it.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Get The Forum As A Mobile App