Author Topic: Beginner's Thread  (Read 116731 times)

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
Re: Beginner's Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2014, 09:53:29 pm »
Actually feels easier without the metronome but my rhythm is probably all over the place

Yes and yes. I resisted using one (got nachrul riddim, innit) but should not have done so. Had to go back to basics on strumming.

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Beginner's Thread
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2014, 04:35:43 pm »
When using a metronome that slow try counting between the beats 1 2 3 4and 1 2 3 4and start your
chord change on the and and hit it on the 1. Strum 2 3 4change Strum 2 3 4change. This will help with
eliminating the pause between changes.

Thank you! I will try that.

@ Tim Mason- ha! Nachrul . That's why I try to think like I don't know anything even when I really believe I do. A beginner's mind is an open mind.

@ Greenish- it certainly feels next to impossible, but most of this guitar stuff feels like that to me.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2014, 12:19:22 pm »
@ Rolandson
Doing better, I think. The stutters are less noticeable. I think you're at that place where it's good enough the improvements are going to be smaller. 

It sounds pretty.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:02:13 am by close2u »

Offline dbrx

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2014, 05:55:00 pm »
Didn't really think I was ready for posting vids of me yet, but with an empty house this morning I thought "what the hell!" So just to make you all feel better about your singing, here goes...

Obviously, my signing is terrible (but luckily not very load) and I'm stumbling a bit on the changes still. This is mostly because I don't actually know the songs too well yet and I'm still having to read the lyrics and keep an eye on the chords.

But from the guitar side I'm pretty happy. It was less than 3 weeks ago I found this site and picked up the guitar!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:52:31 am by close2u »

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2014, 07:41:51 pm »
I don't know why a seemingly simple thing like strumming is so hard?  I've been working on I walk the Line for about a month and it hasn't gotten any better for the last two weeks at least. I think it may be time to let it go and focus on something else. Then, magically, when I come back it will be easier, right? (Or not so magically, actually a lot of hard work.)

When I'm strumming it sounds like I have dead notes but when I stop and pick it out they are all ringing so I think it's the strumming that's the problem.  I'm also hitting too many strings sometimes on A and D and I can hear a hesitation at at least one point during the changes. What else?

https://soundcloud.com/vanillomega/i-walk-the-line

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2014, 07:57:47 pm »
@BadOmega

Well I dunno, but yours changes seem to be smooth and even. Of course there is a lot to improve, but it is not as bad as you think it is.

I practice scales, chords, songs, techniques etc everyday and I can tell you that everything is connected, so if you find playing same thing all over again, you can try something else and you will still improve in that earlier things as well (in my opinion at least).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:02:51 am by close2u »

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2014, 09:29:54 pm »
@ Cataract

That's what I'm hoping since I seem to be stuck on this one. Doing something different will unstick it.  At the very least I will have progress on something else.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:53:42 am by close2u »

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2014, 10:39:51 pm »
@ dbrx

It's very nice for just a 3 weeks! I won't say a word about your singing, cause I don't do it myself and I honestly have no clue how to improve it (beside of practising it, lol), but from a guitar point of view it's good. I've seen that you don't even need to look at your hands when you change chords, and it's a huge achievement in such short time!

One thing you may consider - try to tap your foot, it helps with rhythm.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:54:29 am by close2u »

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2014, 11:05:04 pm »
@ dbrx

That is really good for three weeks. I can't actually hear the singing, but the playing is good.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:54:46 am by close2u »

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »
@dbrx

Sounded pretty good to me. Echoing Cataract, you should be tapping your foot, it will help your rhythm. You appear to be pausing a little at the bottom of your downstrum. This might be because of the slower tempo, but you want your strumming hand moving evenly throughout the motion.

@BadOmega

Strumming is not as easy as it seems. I think that's why Justin emphasizes keeping it simple for the first few stages. 4 downstrums per bar. Keep it simple. Keep it even. Keep your hand moving. Tap your foot. I know for me that it wasn't until about Stage 4 that I had an epiphany with strumming that smoothed it all out for me. One day it just kinda clicked in place. I didn't do anything different; it just started working better. Part of it was getting faster with the changes definitely. Really, I think it was relaxing and not worrying about it too much. When I stopped stressing about the changes, they came easier and didn't distract from my strumming. Also, you'll find it's easier to strum at 80-100 BPM than at 60 BPM. This assumes your changes are up to speed. The phrase I used to tell myself was Right Hand Rules. This was to remind myself that the right hand was more important than the left. Getting the chord change right is important, but strumming in good time is more important. Keep practicing, but realize it's not as easy as it seems, and it may take a little longer than you think to get it right. When you do, you'll know.

In the meantime, here's some food for thought:

http://justinguitar.com/en/QT-008-ItsALLAboutRhythm.php

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-145-ForcingChanges.php
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2014, 08:34:17 pm »
@DBRX for such a short period playing it sounds very good,  particularly as you're singing as well. Keep practicing and recording look forward to tracking your progress in coming months
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2014, 08:36:48 pm »
@bad omega all sounds fine to me given where you are.  Nothing different to my early stuff. It'll soon feel a lot more natural.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2014, 02:54:23 am »
@ SiegeFrog

Thank you! My changes are only at ~ 50 per minute for these chords. People keeping pointing out forcing the changes maybe I should start listening and give it a try.  Right Hand Rules-- I like that!

@Rossco -- I actually went and listened to your Three Little Birds before posting. I think you were doing better than me but hearing your progress helped me keep my chin up yesterday. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:36:06 am by close2u »

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2014, 03:10:00 am »
I don't know why a seemingly simple thing like strumming is so hard? 

Simple doesn't always = easy.

AC/DC rhythm riffs are a good example. A lot of simple open chords, not any challenging strumming. But they're tricky rhythms and fast changes. None of it really difficult. Til you try and put it together as they do.

For me, learning songs via strumming patterns was like pulling teeth. I went the old school way and listened to the rhythms played and then tried to copy them by ear, rather than analysing where the downs and ups were. I realise the way Justin teaches it is to get people started, and that seems to work for most. That 'mechanical' approach just made me stutter.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App