Author Topic: Beginner's Thread  (Read 116538 times)

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Beginner's Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »
@drubbing Fast changes definitely make the strumming harder, mostly when the strings I'm supposed to be hitting change. Particularly the change to D. I tend to catch on the D string. I have not put a lot of focus on just strumming The D Chord and I think I probably need to do that.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the mechanical approach. Separating things out and learning then independent of the other?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2014, 03:05:21 pm »
I found the written - DDuuD etc - approach to learning strumming, mechanical. it came more naturally to me to listen and copy. I can't hear a rhythm when it's written on a page.

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2014, 03:20:48 pm »

I found the written - DDuuD etc - approach to learning strumming, mechanical. it came more naturally to me to listen and copy. I can't hear a rhythm when it's written on a page.

Oh, I see. I haven't tried paying along with anything yet. More adventures await.

Offline dbrx

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2014, 07:12:39 pm »
Thanks for the kind replies.

The kids bought me a capo for my birthday so I've started learning some of the other songs - ie more from my kind of era. Knowing the songs better and strumming harder/louder seems to be making things a bit easier. I'll post some more clips soon, and I promise to leave the singing out! ;D

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:28 pm »
Don't leave the singing out dbrx :)

I would say that knowing songs well makes a huge difference to how easy it is to learn them.  As others have said getting the changes smooth and the foot tapping will help. But that is fantastic for just 3 weeks in!

I would also say as someone who has been posting songs here for a few months that your singing will really improve as you practice as well.

I'm hoping he won't mind me pointing you his way, but one of the regular posters here - Rossco - has been posting songs since quite early in the BC. You should check out his soundcloud and compare his playing and vocals in the early days to his recent songs - he is so good at both now :)

https://soundcloud.com/rossco01

BadOmega - really I think that is fine for where you are. You will improve 'naturally' with more practice, no need to fixate too much, just keep with the programme :)

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:22 pm »

no need to fixate too much, just keep with the programme :)

But.... Fixating is what I do best.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2014, 12:54:54 am »
Hi all. I am both proud and a little scared to be posting my first ever recording. As many others have done I am starting with three little birds -- probably the song I am most comfortable with. I have been lurking this forum for a while now but am now ready to jump right in. I look forward to any comments or criticisms you may have.

I find it interesting how recording and then listening to your own playing can tell you so much. I had no idea how slow my singing and playing was until now. Kind of goes along with my personality, I suppose. Most people see me as pretty laid back.

Anyway, I look forward to posting more as I progress through BC...hopefully improving as I go.

Happy playing!

BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2014, 01:15:56 am »
@DBRX

Nice job with those videos, especially considering you've only been doing it for three weeks. I've in for about the same amount of time and loving it.
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2014, 02:14:28 am »
@ phx1973

Nice work phx1973. As a beginner here too I don't really have critique for you other than to say well done for posting a recording. I'm trying to muster the courage to do the same. Might have a go at the weekend if I'm feeling brave enough!

I have to say, having only found the forum last week and spending way to much time, (when I should be working) browsing it, see people of all levels posting up their recordings is awesome!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:49:32 am by close2u »

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2014, 02:26:11 am »
Do it. No one will humiliate you, and you will get good advice to help improve.

I took nearly 3 years to post audio, but I just didn't get round to recording myself til earlier this year.

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2014, 02:30:24 am »
@ Drubbing

Thanks for the encouragement...

...and without wanting to derail the thread too much just wanted to say a quick thanks from a beginner to all involved with the website & forum, what a fantastic resource. I've progressed more in the last couple of weeks going through the first couple of beginners lessons than I ever have in probably 15 years of picking up the guitar every year or so and getting as far as learning one or two buzzy, inaccurate chords then giving up again.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:50:02 am by close2u »

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2014, 02:44:24 am »
@phx1973- It sounds good to me. There were a few places where it sounded like you stopped strumming, I think. I confess, I was mostly listening to the singing. (oops)

I look forward to hearing your progress.

@numbnuts- I look forward to hearing yours too. You can doooo eeeeeet

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:05 am »
@ Numbnuts

I totally agree! Seeing other beginners struggling to make A-D-E chord changes (well, you get the idea) has actually motivated me to keep going. There is something about realizing that others are going through the challenges that makes you feel better about your own progress. Good luck
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:50:33 am by close2u »

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2014, 06:03:37 pm »

@phx1973- It sounds good to me. There were a few places where it sounded like you stopped strumming, I think. I confess, I was mostly listening to the singing. (oops)

Thanks for the comments! I probably stopped strumming because of the singing. Doing both the first time out may have been overestimating my guitar competency. Square 1 has to start somewhere, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline torikoos

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2014, 08:33:40 pm »
well done on everyone posting their recordings etc here. I would like to do the same, but I currently have no means of inputting any sound or audio, not owning a webcam, or even a microphone that I could plug in at this time. Will see if I can find one soon.  I am ever so slightly ahead of being an absolute beginner. In fact I'm at the end of the beginners course (but I skipped the songs), and now going back to the beginning starting with some of the songs, it's just they way I wanted to do it and see if that would work for me, time will tell :-)

If you never make mistakes, you never try anything new.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App