Author Topic: Beginner's Thread  (Read 167381 times)

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: Beginner's Thread
« Reply #660 on: November 05, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »
Think stage 2 is beckoning your name
My other half will be pleased, she's sick of hearing me 'try' and play Down on the Corner! :-X

I vocals were very enjoyable btw ;) The fact that you could sing along nicely is a good proof that your playing was good and timing was solid!
Did you add the vocals in afterwards, or rerecord and play at the same time.
I cheated and added them afterwards. I really wanted to play and sing at the same time but both suffer when I try and combine them currently. To be honest, I thought it would be better not to add vocals to the video as I didn't want them to distract from my playing as that is what I'm looking for advice on; I don't need anyone to tell me I can't sing I already know that, I just have no shame. ;D

I like the fact that you did the video and the audio.  Really, really did enjoy the song.  I concur with other replies ... steady rhythm, good chord changes using the anchor finger well, strumming smooth and the vocal was excellent.
Thanks David for your encouraging words. I'm looking forward to learning more in stage 2 and trying out a few more songs!

That is an impressive performance for two months in, mate  8)
Like I said, I cheated with the vocals but the shoddy playing was all me! Thanks for the kind words Brian. :)

Now I can only quote LBro ... Rock On !!
Rock on All !! 8)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 50
    • YT-channel
« Reply #661 on: November 05, 2018, 02:05:38 pm »
I cheated and added them afterwards

I was aware of that and it's proof of your timing skills nonetheless :)
I wouldn't call that cheating, it's rather divide & conquer :D Doing both at the same time is hard and IMO you have to be able to do at least one of those two parts of a song without thinking too much about it.
Uploading both versions was definitely a good idea :)

I just have no shame :D
This gives you a head start and I tell you that you can sing ;)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 303
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #662 on: November 05, 2018, 02:35:42 pm »
PilgrimPod,

Max got in ahead of me but feel strongly so going to help drive the point home ...

Over-dubbing the vocal after recording the guitar is not cheating.  We can have a further philosophical conversation over in "Just chatting" as to what would constitute 'cheating" but no way should you think of what you did as cheating.  It is a choice as to how to perform and record to deliver the song as you want it.  And those are choices that all the pro-recording artists consider and make decisions how they want to produce studio albums.

And if you never ever play and sing together that would be fine ... until you want to play and sing at an open mic  :)

As for no shame ... that's great.

However, based on that recording I'd contest your assertion that you can't sing.  Your voice sounded good, easy on the ear timbre, phrasing and timing that matched the music.  I can't comment if you were pitch perfect throughout as that is beyond my ears.  Irrespective it was enjoyable to listen to, which means in my book you sing well enough to add vocals to the songs you learn to play and would keep them coming, just as you did here ...  video for guitar technique feedback and the audio that adds the vocal.

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #663 on: November 05, 2018, 07:12:42 pm »
PilgrimPod

Solid clean sounding chords, smooth changes, and in time with your track.  If that's because you took a little longer on stage 1 well, it was time well spent  :) 

Not anything to really criticize in your technique it was really well played.  My only thought watching was it didn't appear that you are tapping your foot?  It's not a must but I think most find it helps with timing as things pick up speed and become more complex.  I remember thinking foot tapping should be easy when I first started but it was anything but  :-[  It didn't help that as a music listener I had always tapped with my right foot so switching to left while trying to learn to play guitar certainly added to the challenge  ;)

Add me to the list that thinks you have a nice voice.  Good tone and it fit the song very well.  Nothing wrong with adding the vocal after, singing along will come in good time.  The main thing, with that voice, is keep singing! 

You've got a nice solid base to build on, well done.

My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #664 on: November 06, 2018, 09:31:17 am »
I wouldn't call that cheating, it's rather divide & conquer :D Doing both at the same time is hard and IMO you have to be able to do at least one of those two parts of a song without thinking too much about it.
Over-dubbing the vocal after recording the guitar is not cheating.  We can have a further philosophical conversation over in "Just chatting" as to what would constitute 'cheating" but no way should you think of what you did as cheating.  It is a choice as to how to perform and record to deliver the song as you want it.  And those are choices that all the pro-recording artists consider and make decisions how they want to produce studio albums.
End-game for me is to play a few simple ditties whilst being able to sing along at the same time. That's all I really want from playing guitar. For Down on the Corner I wanted to throw a vocal on it for my amusement and curiousity but having tried multiple times to play and sing at the same time I came to realise that is beyond me right now so I did the next best thing and over-dubbed. Maybe 'cheated' was the wrong choice of words, rather 'took a short cut' to reach my end goal. :D

Not anything to really criticize in your technique it was really well played.  My only thought watching was it didn't appear that you are tapping your foot?  It's not a must but I think most find it helps with timing as things pick up speed and become more complex.  I remember thinking foot tapping should be easy when I first started but it was anything but  :-[  It didn't help that as a music listener I had always tapped with my right foot so switching to left while trying to learn to play guitar certainly added to the challenge  ;)
Foot tapping is covered in stage 2 I believe so I'll try and incorporate that in my next video in say, another two months... ;D

The mobile app lessons appear to differ slightly to the web course so I'm trying to cover all lessons from both. At stage 2 the app touches briefly upon up strums which I just know are going to prove a nightmare for me. My pick is unruly at the best of times but having dabbled a little with DDDUD the pick just twists and turns and moves everywhere. It's going to take time to tame this beast. ::)

Thanks for taking the time to offer me advice Sweed, it is very much appreciated. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #665 on: December 22, 2018, 09:57:36 am »
Note to self … come in here asap and catch up with all the recent posts.

Great that beginners are still posting and I'm sorry not to have got in here sooner.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
« Reply #666 on: December 22, 2018, 10:37:09 am »
@ LeftyLoosy

re: I Don't Wanna Live Forever
Very steady playing. Well done. Good clean sounding chords.
Try to develop the constant movement in your strumming arn - to be in smooth constant motion to match the beat / tempo. If a song has stop / start strums you can allow your strumming arm to keep moving and live inside the rhythm.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
« Reply #667 on: December 22, 2018, 10:37:35 am »
@ daren.brown.16
re: Perfect
How much of that track is youand how much backing? Is it you playing just the melody over the top?
It sounds assured and smooth. Well done.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
« Reply #668 on: December 22, 2018, 10:38:06 am »
@ The_Fien
re: Three Little Birds
Good vibes for trying to play on the off-beat reggae style. Especially after such a short time learning.
It is not so easy, especially if you're also trying to mute - which you do make an effort to do. So good vibes for that also.
It sounded good for your amount of time playing so keep up the good work.

re: I'd Rather Be Blind
Keepng the strumming simple at your stage isthe way to develop so well done, you were smooth and consistent throughout.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
« Reply #669 on: December 22, 2018, 10:38:37 am »
@ silman

re: Bad Moon Rising and Hey Ya
You're making good progress and to continue without developing bad habits I suggest you do the following. Slow down the entire tempo of the song you're playing so that when you reach whichever chord change is your slowest, the speed of that chord change does not stand out as a pause, a blip, an interruption, to the general flow of the tempo of the song.
It is a common beginner thing.
Everyone likes to play at tempo, at speed. But if you play two bars of G fast then take a second or two to form your next chord before playing it for another two bars or so, then the whole structure of the groove, the rhythm, the smoothness, the musicality breaks down.
Slow it down to where there are no pauses or interruptions in the chord progression from the chord changes.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
« Reply #670 on: December 22, 2018, 10:38:53 am »
@ PilgrimPod
re: Down On The Corner
That was a really solid play through and perfectly emodied the essence of a strumming arm in constant motion up / down in time with the tempo and rhythm.
Solid playing. Keep it up.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App