Author Topic: Beginner's Thread  (Read 123067 times)

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
Re: Beginner's Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure I was better when I didn't record the song
california dreaming.
https://soundcloud.com/thewholedamntruth/california-dreaming2

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »
I've worked my way all the way up to Stage 5, but realized I haven't done a good enough job of playing songs in each section. Since I posted Three Little Birds a couple days ago I decided I will continue recording one song from each of the other stages (2,3,4,5) -- then I will move on.

Stage 2 recording here (Wild Thing). I feel like it doesn't sound as good as it could have. I was being a little quiet on the electric on purpose. My kids were asleep and unfortunately my guitar and amp are right across the hall from them. haha. I have a hard time with that G6 chord and then putting down the A chord. Fingers just don't come down in a perfect A chord every time. Oh well, something to work on, I suppose.

Wild Thing

[mod edit - direct link copied / pasted]

https://soundcloud.com/tosh1973/wednesday-09-51-pm
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:09:44 am by close2u »
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2014, 08:14:51 pm »
Nice work Rolandson & phx1973.

@phx1973 - I'm with you mate, I'm up to stage 4 but haven't bothered too much with any of the songs aside from a bit of What's Up, so I'm also going back to the start and will record one or two from each stage before I move on.

I struggled with 3 Little Birds last night mind, I seem to find slower tempo, all down strum harder than a faster tempo strum timing wise. I seem to drift off mid way through and then my timing goes to pot.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »
@Numbnuts

Re: Three Little Birds. You mentioned having difficulty with tempo. You might try using a metronome if you haven't yet. As I said in my original recording, I was shocked at how slow I sounded. BPM of about 76 seems about right, which is way faster than felt natural to me at first. Just a suggestion.
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Numbnuts

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2014, 09:20:39 pm »
@phx1973 thanks bud, definitely going to start with the metronome. I've some spare time this weekend so going to set up my stall properly, I grabbed a music stand and I'll commandeer some space in the spare bedroom so I can get set up a bit better. Back to the first lessons then, work back through them again with metronome, foot tapping and do the ear training before I move on to the next stages. I have sneaked forward a little, just to get a jump start on my F barre, other than that I want to get the early beginner lessons nailed with some of their corresponding songs before moving on.

A buddy is coming over tonight, he's a guitar genius. When he leaves I'll either be even more inspired and motivated to progress, or feel totally inadequate and chuck the acoustic on the fire. We'll see what happens, (I'm tipping inspiration).

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2014, 01:58:46 am »
Stage 3 - Mad World.

[mod edit - direct link copies / pasted]

https://soundcloud.com/tosh1973/thursday-08-25-pm
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:08:49 am by close2u »

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2014, 08:21:11 am »
Good one Phx1973. Had a listen to all of your tracks today and thought you show good progress. Personally I think getting three or fours songs under the belt from the BSB is key to getting some good progress. It's also a lot more fun.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2014, 10:29:42 am »
Hey guys!

I listened to most of your songs! I can't follow, commenting on every single track here.

Just wanted to say you're doing great! Keep recording, keep practicing, keep sharing!

Before you know it you'll be tackling Hendrix solo's ;)

regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2014, 05:21:04 pm »
@ de_conne

Thanks! I must say these forums, particularly this thread, have really complemented my learning progress in Justin's Beginners Course. I have found cases in which I thought I knew the song well enough for a particular stage. But after recording it I realized I wasn't happy and need to keep working. It is making the course take longer but will be beneficial to my playing in the end.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:04:52 pm by close2u »

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2014, 06:51:35 pm »
Haven't been in this thread nearly enough lately.  You guys are progressing nicely!

@ Numbnuts 

Very nice on What's Going On.  Your small head start on playing shows here, nothing wrong with that. Look forward to hearing this when you get your vocal and playing together in synch.

@ rolandson

Showing more progress on a hard to play California Dreaming.  Keep at it, it's getting there.

Phx1973

Nice sound coming from your guitar too.  It is a good decision by you to start recording songs at each level.  It is not only fun but a good teacher too.  Don't worry about how long it takes to get through BC.  The foundation is the important thing.
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2014, 08:15:42 pm »
I will definitely take that advise. Thanks Sweed.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:48:15 pm by close2u »

Offline dbrx

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »
Sorry about the crappy recording, but here's an attempt at playing along with this years love:

https://soundcloud.com/dbcrx/this-years-love
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:06:35 pm by close2u »

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure I was better when I didn't record the song

It's weird how that happens, huh? Nervous?

@numbnuts- good job!

@phx1973- Also a good job. I especially like wild thing. I have actually had a hard time getting motivated to practice any of the songs in Stage 2 but maybe I will try that. Someday.

@dbrx- Sounds good for only playing… four weeks now, right?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2014, 01:05:30 am »
Good changes for 4 weeks. I'd suggest working on your strumming, you seem to be strumming very hard with a thin pick, and so make an audible click on each string, as you can hear this over the top of the amp.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2014, 01:10:41 am »
I walk the line - guitar and vocals

One problem I am finding is by the time I get to the end of song I lose the pick in my hand and need to readjust. I have gone back to Justin's post about how to hold a pick but am still not sure why this is happening. It seems to be a new phenomenon. I might be holding it too tight. I think this led to the chords not sounding quite as good as in some of the other songs I've done recently.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App