Author Topic: I'd like some practice playing songs with others  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
I'd like some practice playing songs with others
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:52:52 pm »
I've been looking for some people in real life to play with, but haven't had luck yet, so a few people on here suggested I post here and find some people to play with virtually.  I want some practice playing with other people, and I also have a lot to learn when it comes to recording things.  (Right now I'm recording using GarageBand, which does not make for good recordings.)

I like Bon Jovi, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Elton John... and basically all classic rock.

I just recorded this this morning.  The audio quality is terrible but should give you a decent idea of what I sound like.  The first verse has some mess-ups, so if you skip the first minute or so you'll be at the better parts.

https://soundcloud.com/livinonaprayer/what-do-you-got-bon-jovi-acoustic-cover

Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: I'd like some practice playing songs with others
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 02:41:25 am »
Just noticed this thread (I already replied in the other one in AVOYP).

Are you looking to collaborate on covers, write some originals, create and swap backing tracks to improvise over, or something else entirely?

I have some decent recording equipment. My vocal skills are definitely lacking, but I can lay down guitar & bass tracks and have EZdrummer to use for some VST drums. My recording and mixing skills are not at the level of some of the other people on the forum, but I know the basics.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:05:39 am »
Well, I'd like to write originals eventually (I want to be the frontman of my own rock band), but for now covers are fine, and so is just kind of improvising.  I mostly play acoustic, and mostly chords, though.  I tend to just sing to the songs that are electric. which is fun, too.  But I haven't had the chance to play with another person yet, so if you have a better idea on what's good to do at this point, I'm all ears.

I definitely need to get at least a decent USB mic, though.  GarageBand on my computer just doesn't cut it.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:21:06 am »
Equipment-wise, I think there were some good suggestions in your other thread. You can go the budget route and get a USB mic that should give you decent quality recordings, or if you're able to spend more then you can get an interface and a larger diaphragm condenser, which should give you the ability to record acoustic, electric, vocals, whatever you want with pretty good quality.

Garageband will work fine. It allows for multitracking, and although it doesn't have too many bells & whistles it'll get the job done. For $60 there's Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/), which is what I and many others on the forum use. There's a free trial on there, as well so you can try before you buy.

For the collaboration bit, we could lay down a rhythm track or two, save it off as a .wav file and use that to jam over or build upon. I've got a pretty good case of writers block going on at the moment with a lot of partially finished songs, so it might be a good way to break out of the rut and make some cool music.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 03:51:30 am »
Sounds good to me. 

I mean that GarageBand doesn't do well with recording vocals.  Mine, at least.  So yeah, tomorrow I'll go back through the suggestions again and figure something out.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 06:22:52 am »
I'd enjoy working on something with you, depending on the song.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline katja

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 06:56:46 am »
Hi there,

Just as a side note: Do you use your internal microphone to record?
This could be why "The audio quality is terrible". I don't think that GarageBand is to blame.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »
Yes, I used the internal mic.  Which makes sense that it's the mic and not GarageBand.  But why do I get different sound quality recording from GarageBand than I do recording from PhotoBooth, which is also using the internal mic?

Offline erichamion

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 04:15:13 pm »
But why do I get different sound quality recording from GarageBand than I do recording from PhotoBooth

They're probably using different recording settings, and possibly different file compression methods/settings.  Anything from the volume level to the audio sample rate to what (if any) file compression is used to the bit rate of the compressed file will affect how the end result sounds.  I don't use a Mac, but I would assume that an audio program like GarageBand stores uncompressed audio.  PhotoBooth is for videos, right?  If so, it probably compresses the audio stream into an mp3, AAC, or similar, just because video files tend to be huge.  Also, if you use them for different purposes, you may be in a different location (relative to the mic) or be singing/playing differently without noticing it.

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »
Your voice has a lot of potential I could feel the emotion in your singing. You would be great to front a band most singers just plain suck.. IMO I think most rock singers are horrible, but you could change the game.

8)

*Clap Clap*
"You're only limited to what you think you can and can't do."

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 04:44:33 pm »
Looking forward to see where this leads.
 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App