Author Topic: writing songs  (Read 3200 times)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: writing songs
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 05:01:12 am »
People will throw ideas to you into jam sessions that you have to work off of.

Good point, I agree. When I had my first "full band" jam it was a learning experience. When jamming along to backing tracks, etc. everything is (mostly) in time and you can expect that there will be few, if any, mistakes. But when playing with 4 or 5 other musicians - especially with some inexperienced people in the group - it's inevitable that people are going to lose their rhythm, play the wrong chord here and there or do various other unexpected things. The ability to recover from a mistake or hold things together when others mess up takes some practice, but I think it's a skill that will help multiple aspects of your playing.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 10:16:26 am »
oh yes, songwriting ..my love/hate relation :)

One time you feel all lyrical and pen down the deepest stuff but when you read it 2 days later, it is too straightforward, too descriptive, too limited, bnot suggestive, no atmosphere or you just feel like you write like an 8 year old :)

The lyrics that actually stick with what we play with the band are mostly the lines I made up improvising while trying other lyrics or lyrics i wrote on purpose as something brainless, straightforward.

Then the occasions I get philosophical, about a person trying to convince the other his extremism isn't the solution and start asking these retorical questions, all the public will hear is the chorus that has a line "burn you alive" :D

Not so long ago I wrote lyrics for a long country song that has not one but 2 semi-ironic twists in it. it is long..;I wonder i people would even sit it out if I would make a song of it...so the one time you get a beefy song ready, you might even end up worrying what to exclude... but it would hurt the story or atmosphere too much

then the band makes up a cool tune and you notice that noe of your previously writter lyrics could fit in, even with heavy modifications...and you need to write lyrics that fit in. on top of necessary inspiration, the musical scope gets to be an extra limit. It's hard to break free then AND create an interesting vocal melody while bringing a story. I always want to bring a story. Yet my favorite song form the band has no story and is just about a guy telling a woman what he wants from her. no plot, no twist, no character evolution, no clever lyrics or wordplay, lots of repetition... :D

"Keep it simple" often gives you the most working space to add the final details and finesse that will actually make the song unique or at least recognizeable.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:12 am »
i'd really like to throw around ideas with other people my favourite bands are bands that are actual bands were everybody throws in something in the mix and its this beautiful stew of sound and vibration, it would be an aboslute dream to play with other people and am trying to make that reality
"He said, for a nominal service charge,
I could reach Nirvana t'nite"
frank zappa

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 10:40:39 am »
Hi,

If you can't find anyone in the real world to jam with at the moment why not do some online collabs? Advertise yourself in that bit of the forum - what you're wanting to do, what you have to offer, what/who you're looking for. Okay, it's not quite like being in a room with someone, but it can kick start your songwriting and get you thinking in different ways.

Cheers,

Digger

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 12:43:53 am »
For me, songs just kind of write themselves.  I haven't written many, but they all have some kind of meaning for me.  I can't just sit down and write song after song, doesn't work that way for me.  I just wait until something I see creates the spark, then I just kind of puke it out.

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
I've been writing songs for years.  Most aren't worth the paper they're written on.  But some are actually pretty/very good.

It's normal, not every song written is a hit, and not every song written by stars even makes it to a record.  It's very normal to write things that only you get as well.  The key to song writing is write in a way that people can listen and put themselves into the song. 

I have some unfinished songs that I started years ago and just can't find the right direction to move forward on.  It's frustrating when you know it can be a good song but just can't get it finished.  And song writing is like playing the guitar, you get better as you gain experience.

I heard this on a Glenn Frey interview once.  He was with Bob Seger and the song Hair, by the Cowsills came on and Glenn wanted to change the channel.  Bob said no.  For some reason that song made the top forty, now listen to it and find out why. (or something to that affect anyway) This was before they both became stars.  Not long before though.

Start listening to songs and write down the theme of each one, the melody, the chords in the song, and then ask yourself why you like that song.  If you don't like it, ask why someone else would.
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 09:41:40 pm »
I wrote a song called "Same Old Road" which is not the type of music I typically listen to and I don't even like the song that much.  It's a hippy-type love, peace, and happiness song.  But other people seem to like it.

But like Shadowscott said, I just had to get the song out of my head so I could move on to other things.

Offline vincebrown

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »
This is something I'm struggling with too. I tend to record little riffs or chord progressions into my phone whenever I 'hit something' of interest. I do the same with lyrics, but after that I can't seem to put a whole song together. Maybe I just can't see the bigger picture? Damn, it's tough!
My plan in the next few weeks is to try and finish one or two and record them so I have something to go off from there. Like lots of others have been saying, it seems you have to just keep writing to get to the good stuff!
No amount of darkness can hide a spark of light

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 06:14:07 pm »
I never understood the true value of team work until I jammed with others it was the most fun I've ever had in my life honestly.

Exactly
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »
i have been writing songs for a year and a half on guitar i think and every song i had written in that time did not satisfie me if it did it only did it for a few hours or one day does anyone ever have that feeling? do you just write songs till you hit something you like?
What you state is the exact reason why I never pursued writing. I might have a serious swing at it this year, however.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App