Author Topic: writing songs  (Read 2713 times)

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
writing songs
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:33:26 pm »
i have been writing songs for a year and a half on guitar i think and every song i had written in that time did not satisfie me if it did it only did it for a few hours or one day does anyone ever have that feeling? do you just write songs till you hit something you like?
"He said, for a nominal service charge,
I could reach Nirvana t'nite"
frank zappa

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
Re: writing songs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:39:44 pm »
Creators are rarely completely satisfied with their creations - but at some time, you have to put it out there. Have you played your songs to other people? How have they reacted?

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:09:32 pm »
i did play it once and everyone liked it very much but i dont know that song isnt good enough now i dont know maybe i should revist that song and try and make it better
frank zappa

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:30:37 pm »
If they liked it very much it may be that it was good. Why don't you post it here and see what others think, asking for suggestions as to what you might do to make it better?

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »
yea maybe i will thx for the help
frank zappa

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:15 pm »
Lot here.

First sometimes you juts need to get the idea outta your head so you can work the next one.

I used to try to make every song I wrote a rock song.  Teacher would ask me what I was working on I'd say it sucks and strum it and he would say not bad, could make a decent country tune.  I'd roll my eyes and he gave me the above advice.

Second, have you liked every top forty or other hit since whenever?  Probably not.  So just because you don't like the tune doesn't mean it has to be bad.  Maybe you just don't like it.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:16 pm »
no, you see i cant accept that, tha'ts the whole point i am writing its because i want to write something soulful, something that means something you know? if i play something i dont like its not gonna sound good to other people i wont play it well and thats a bad trait if your thinking of going professional but no i cant do that
frank zappa

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:35 pm »
i dont know i mean its just me playing the songs there isnt any drums or bass or piano and i have been looking for a band maybe the songs will sound fuller with a band i dont know
frank zappa

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:58:50 am »
Have you tried doing some recording? If you have a bit of extra cash and can afford to get a mic, a DAW (like Reaper!) and some VST drums or other instruments (many free options available!), I'd highly recommend it.

The first several songs I wrote were heavily guitar-based, and they seemed to get redundant. I've recently started to focus more on the overall composition and how each part fits into the mix (drums, bass, etc.).

At the end of the day, some songs just suck and there's nothing wrong with that. I saw an interview with Jonny Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) who said that most songs he writes aren't very good, and that's coming from a guy whose band has had 14 top ten singles.

Another good example is Switchfoot. I watched a video on the making of "Hello Hurricane", I believe, where they said Jon Foreman had written something like 80-100 songs, and only 10-15 were being used on the album.

These are guys who have written hundreds, if not thousands of songs and they still write bad ones. I don't know how many you've written, but it's likely nowhere near that number, so keep at it and you will improve.

Be willing to put a song down and start a new one. I have probably 20 songs in various stages of completion right now, and when the inspiration strikes I pick them back up and keep working on them. In the meantime I start writing new ones or just jam and see what happens.

Finally, don't worry so much about writing something 'meaningful' or 'soulful.' Just write. Silly songs have a place, as do sad songs, love songs, and any other type of song. Sometimes you need to write a stupid song to get past your writer's block and inspire some new ideas.

Sorry for rambling on, but hopefully something I said here was useful to someone!

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:57:05 pm »
Hi,

I think songwriting is like writing novels - you write a load and end up disregarding a fair amount, but you've got to do some writing in the first place.
Unless you're lucky, you've got to write some not so good to get to the really good stuff. Learn your craft, i guess. Hopefully you learn something each time you write/mix, etc. Sticking with the same song till it's "perfect" can be tedious. And, probably in a few months/years you'll listen back and think - that wasn't very good.
Just write and write. The good ones will start to poke their heads out and they're the ones you might want to spend some more time on.

Well, that's what i keep telling myself - "one day...."

Good luck.

Digger

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 03:32:18 pm »
yea thx for those two replies i feel abit more excited about the whole thing now am just abit busy with exams and stuff i havent been able to really work on songs but am also abit lazy when i have the free time anyway i will keep trying till "one day" :)
frank zappa

Offline Craig Howard

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:07:21 pm »
i dont know i mean its just me playing the songs there isnt any drums or bass or piano and i have been looking for a band maybe the songs will sound fuller with a band i dont know

If you think about how songs are written on a guitar/ piano and piece of note paper in a hotel room, back of a band bus, back stage etc... you have to  realise they dont become a "real song" until they get produced in the studio with collaboration of other musicians and  sound technicians and of course...a producer.
Fender Stratocaster MIM Burst,  RI Fiesta Red; Fender Mustang II and Champ Amps.
FX Pedals: Boss Blues driver, Boss RC3 Loop Station, EP Booster, Zoom Bass FX. Alessis SR16.  Riffstation.

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:09 pm »

If you think about how songs are written on a guitar/ piano and piece of note paper in a hotel room, back of a band bus, back stage etc... you have to  realise they dont become a "real song" until they get produced in the studio with collaboration of other musicians and  sound technicians and of course...a producer.

I agree with this if you're working with a group of people your song idea can be completely changed. If anything it's not a bad thing it's actually good because the people you're working with can lay down some different insight of things you would of never thought of. The feels man the feels....

:'(
"You're only limited to what you think you can and can't do."

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:23:58 pm »
I agree. When I was jamming with some other people last year, I tried writing a few songs. There was one in particular that I remember playing for them on maybe our 3rd or 4th meet-up.

I had written a pretty basic song, a couple verses and a chorus. It just seemed like something was missing. As we were jamming to it the other guitarist stopped and said "why don't you take that A in the chorus and make it an A7?" All of a sudden the chorus just seemed to work. I would have never thought to throw an A7 into that particular progression, but it made it sound much, much better.

If you have the chance to play with other musicians, go for it. They will often throw out an idea that makes your song really spring to life.

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:31:11 pm »
^ Hell yeah even jamming with other musicians will suddenly bring out things that you never thought of in your guitar playing. Playing music is best done with others it's not like jamming to a backing track where it's so boring, predictable, and uninspiring. People will throw ideas to you into jam sessions that you have to work off of. I never understood the true value of team work until I jammed with others it was the most fun I've ever had in my life honestly.
"You're only limited to what you think you can and can't do."

Get The Forum As A Mobile App