Author Topic: Harmonic ear training  (Read 2204 times)

Offline firefix

• Good Vibes 0
Harmonic ear training
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:50:13 am »
Hi  gals and guys,

first, thanks Justin for this app... Very nice to have the guitar sound and visual.. The one I used before was also excellent (http://classic.musictheory.net/90) but lacked those features. Back to subject.. I can almost make a 100% on L15, but no way I can do the harmonic, even the 1st level ... Very frustrating. Does someone have any tips/advices to get better at this (other than keep practicing) ? Thanks. Cheers.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 149
    • justinguitar.com
Re: Harmonic ear training
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:02 am »
Play them!!

Learn how to play all the intervals and then play them and try and make a song association. For the first one I hear 4ths as "Smoke On The Water" and 5th as Power chords.

If that works, keep going!! 3rd: start of Brown Eyed Girl Riff... etc.

It's harder though for most people!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline firefix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 01:22:57 pm »
Ok , thanks Justin. I will play them, and let you know how it goes...

Offline Ralphonz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:38 am »
I am really struggling with this as well.  The first harmonic level is the hardest, the other interval are much easier to distinguish if i make it onto the second harmonic level with the 2nd and 3rd.

If the root were to be an octave up then the 5th is a descending 4th and the 4th is a descending 5th so depending on which way you come at them there isn't a difference but then there is!!  Is this why its so difficult or am I just over-thinking!?

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:44:59 pm »
Play them!!

Learn how to play all the intervals and then play them and try and make a song association. For the first one I hear 4ths as "Smoke On The Water" and 5th as Power chords.

If that works, keep going!! 3rd: start of Brown Eyed Girl Riff... etc.

It's harder though for most people!

Thanks, those songs helped.  Any chance you could tell us the songs you used for all the other intervals as well?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App