Author Topic: Songwriting Challenge  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 47
Re: Songwriting Challenge
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:38:49 pm »
I actually like this a lot.

Offline Angel

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:47 pm »
Hi everyone!

A friend of mine started an initiative for a special challenge on facebook that takes place every week.

The man behind the curtain is Olav VD Spree, aka 'Dutch', a songwriting coach for a profession and has been playing and writing for about 30 plus/minus years. He has several students.

How does it work?
Every sunday, a new theme or assignment is posted by Olav.
You have exactly one week to write a song, shoot a video recording it, upload it and send it to Songwriting Challenge.

The goal of this community is to help eachother by pointing out our strengths and weaknesses and to grow.
When a challenge has ended, you can post some feedback or comments on everyones songs. Fe: one positive thing and one thing to improve. Just how it goes on justinguitar.

Don't worry about your skills, everyone can join. EVERYONE. No matter your age, guitar level, presentation or singing abilities. This all doesn't matter, only your songwriting progress is important.

The challenge is now active on facebook only, but soon the website will be aired.

So come join us and work on those skills! Hope to see you there.

Js

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Songwriting-Challenge/1465945763690198?ref=ts&fref=ts

I know that this was posted a while ago but...

I think that a weekly songwriting promt challenge is a great idea as it is not only fun, but also has the potential to get one thinking, moving and being proactive. Also it is an exercise in 'letting go' because of the time limit (I.e. you can't gradually perfect the composition over time but have to do your best in the time that you have).

I checked out the fb page but it has no up to date posts and the website no longer seems to exist. Do you know if it moved to another location, or perhaps just fizzled out?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 08:20:21 pm »
I'm afraid your questions are falling on deaf ears. JulieSun hasn't participated on this forum since
Feb. 2015.

If you would like to start a weekly songwriting challenge by all means fell free to set up the challenge.

Sometime the forum need a fresh face to kick everyone in the butt with a challenge.

Offline Angel

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »
I'm afraid your questions are falling on deaf ears. JulieSun hasn't participated on this forum since
Feb. 2015.

If you would like to start a weekly songwriting challenge by all means fell free to set up the challenge.

Sometime the forum need a fresh face to kick everyone in the butt with a challenge.
Thanks for your reply stitch101. I would love to start a periodical songwriting prompt/challenge when i am songwriting myself- for now I am working on getting some guitar experience under my belt and doing covers. I wonder if anyone else would be up for starting one. I would love to support and give feedback to this kind of endeavour, as well as contemplate the prompts in preparation for when I do start writing.

So here's the deal- if no one has started one by the time that I start songwriting... then I will. :D

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 11:28:33 pm »
I'd like to see something like this started again, however I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be.

I'm thinking something like a periodic challenge (probably not anymore frequently than once a month), released on a set date, with a time limit to complete it. That way people would know when the challenge was coming up, but don't get too much time to complete it.
As for the challenges, I think they could be quite varied, ranging from pretty simple (say limited to certain chords) to really pushing people (maybe tie in a bit theory and application of said theory).

Offline Angel

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 03:42:00 am »
I'd like to see something like this started again, however I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be.

I'm thinking something like a periodic challenge (probably not anymore frequently than once a month), released on a set date, with a time limit to complete it. That way people would know when the challenge was coming up, but don't get too much time to complete it.
As for the challenges, I think they could be quite varied, ranging from pretty simple (say limited to certain chords) to really pushing people (maybe tie in a bit theory and application of said theory).

Sounds good m_c... perhaps something like a four week cycle, with three weeks off and one week on for the challenge, as well as different categories of challenge types.

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 01:26:29 pm »
Sounds cool... may check this out when it moves off FaceBook. I hate FB. .....

Same here
Facebook? No not with me.

Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Offline Angel

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 04:24:25 pm »
The existing songwriting challenge fb page has made a post indicating that there will be another challlenge soon. https://www.facebook.com/songwritingchallenge/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Get The Forum As A Mobile App