Author Topic: How can I best fix this?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Bassonb

• Good Vibes 0
How can I best fix this?
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:41:12 am »
Hi folks!

I have a Richwood RD-17-CE acoustic-electric guitar. As I wanted to plug it in my amp today, the socket (if that's what it's called... the receiving end of the jack) came loose and 'fell' into the body of the guitar.

I've been trying to find a way to put it back in, but I've been unable to find a way (without having to glue it in or something) to make sure it won't fall through again, nor have I found anything that seems damaged. Did anything like this ever happen to anyone? What's the best solution?

I tried including a picture of the situation, but for some reason the forum won't let me post links and pics don't show up in the preview?

Thanks in advance!!   :)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 248
Re: How can I best fix this?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »
You need 5 posts before you can post links or pictures.

Does the socket have threads on it like this? If so you need a flat nut and washer.

If it's also the strap button it will either have a retaining nut on the inside of the guitar or little screws
on the out side.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:25:24 pm »
You have lost something. There has to be a piece on the outside that secures the piece that fell inside.

No do not glue it.

You need to figure out what's missing.... by looking at another one. then get that part. then replace the socket and secure it proper. Usually some sort of threaded nut.

Take a picture of the situation. Not sure why it appears something is not missing. The two lower pictures stitch posted could not fall inside the guitar. They would fall out. the first one if the nut fell off would allow the socket to fall inside.
Gone

Offline Bassonb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »
Just...

Offline Bassonb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:33 pm »
Getting to 5 posts...

Offline Bassonb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:56 pm »
So I can post a picture.

Offline Bassonb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »
Ok, so now I should be able to post a picture. Sorry that it's flipped.

Thanks for the advice stitch and TB-AV. This is what it looks like. It is threaded but I can't tighten it to the hole and could not find any washer and/or flat nut. I really start to wonder how it was attached in the first place. Anyways, what I'll do is pick up a washer and a flat nut in the right sizes. That should do it.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:07:00 pm »
Looks like ya just need the nut and star washer. Purchase another 1/4" jack and use the washer and nut that come with it. Most of them use the same size nut and threads. You can take it to a hardware store and have them measure the diameter and threads per inch (with a thread gauge) if you want to be certain, but most of them are the same. A bit of Loctite 242 on the threads will help keep the nut from backing off again.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:26:07 pm »
There should be a star washer inside your guitar. OR.. .that socket fits into that bracket such that it can't rotate... like by a tab or something that fits the bracket.

socket >> BRACKET... pushed together the socket needs to stay in place when tight.

socket >>> star >>> BRACKET >>> flat washer so nut doesn't dig into bracket >>> nut.

OR
socket>>>tab/recess,anything that seats socket to bracket >>> BRACKET >>> flat washer >>> nut

Could be metric or sae... I see both

BTW... affix the socket to the bracket before you mount the bracket back with 4 screws. It should be good and tight.
Gone

Offline Bassonb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 11:20:33 am »
Purchased another 1/4" jack, great solution. Thanks all and happy playing :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App