Author Topic: Calling all Photoshop gurus adn guruettes  (Read 1093 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Calling all Photoshop gurus adn guruettes
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:35:31 pm »
Ok, here's the deal...

I want to take some pictures of the inside rooms and outside of a house. The rooms will be empty.

Then I want to "decorate" the rooms, perhaps even "repaint" or even do some "renovation/remodel" work.

Now I understand a straight on picture is simply rectangular and all angles would be 90deg, but interioir photos are angular.

As an example I used to draw isometric drawings of buildings and maybe the angles were 30deg so if I needed to place a picture on a wall it would sit on a 30 deg line and parallel to the floor and ceiling. Nice and easy and looks proper.

My question is, in Photoshop is there some manner to keep all the items I want placed in the room in the proper geometric perspective. It seems the only way now is if I just randomly alter the shape of an object and hope it looks ok. There must be some method to 'fit' items and know they are in the proper perspective regarding angles, scale and size.

I was hoping to, for instance, take a picture of a bed and have it placed in the room and be exactly what it would look like in real life.

If anyone has ever seen a tutorial or knows a PS tool I should be looking at it would be appreciated.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: Calling all Photoshop gurus adn guruettes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »
You really want to be working in 3D, not 2D. But you can expand the canvas beyond the image, and on a separate transparent layer extend parallel lines in the image to find the vanishing point or points. This will help you place, shape, and size. "frames" on the layer for where you want objects to go. The problem is that the stuff either has to be pretty flat like curtains, rugs, pictures on the way, or else the pictures of objects you want to place have to have very nearly the correct perspective already for where you want to place them.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
Yeah, that's what I 'm starting to find out.

Is there some sort of free/cheap 3D software that would be suitable?
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12:24 pm »
Blender.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:38 pm »
I may have to go to plan B. I don't think I can learn all that.
Gone

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:06 pm »
Not a guru and definitely not a guruette (wow my autocorrect recognizes that).  But I have done things with Google sketch up where I have imported an image to lay over a shape.  I don't know if it would work but you could build a room (cube) and paste the images of the walls on the inside of your cube.  That may give you some 3D ishness.  Still leaving you color decoration change drama.

I did it as a cheap trick to skyline some PCBs.  So slightly different needs.

A thought. ..

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:41:15 pm »
Try finding a used or older copy of Nexgen Home and Landscape Design. I got a copy for 19.99 in the
bargain bin at Staples. You can draw up blue prints in 2 dimension and make them 3D. Then add all the
things your looking to do.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:19:36 am »
If you use Chrome browser you might want to try the following:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autodesk-homestyler/kdmmkfaghgcicheaimnpffeeekheafk

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App