Author Topic: Point Fifty Live: prep and report  (Read 7874 times)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
    • Point Fifty
Re: first live gig coming up, any good advice besides all this?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »
I don't have the Zoom R24 I'm plannign to buy yet but I arrange with the soundguy to record with my zoom; wanna try 1 channel master out of pa and 1 channel "ambient" to have crowd noise
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:28:14 pm »
 Have you ever heard a YT video that sounded good from the camera in the audience? I haven't. Your father can record his audio track and use that for crowd sounds to mix in.

I think I would try to get as much good stuff off the board as possible.

Gone

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 11:45:49 pm »
yeah I foresee that the audio on the cam will be bogus and clipping all over.

my photocamera has a soundattenuator option though, which works pretty well; perhaps the camera has that too. Audio from board and station ambient mic will deliver a more ocnstant sound though.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
    • Point Fifty
Re: Point Fifty Live: prep and report
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:16 am »
The gig was nice, we had an excellent time, the people were enthouastic (we knew most of them, about 85 people, a bit more than we anticipated) and they want to hear more.

mission succesful

The venue was ok, the sound guy did a good job. The lights guy didn't get there in time so the sound guy improvised a bit. Having a good sound guy is a luxury; he set up all the mic's, the sound check was swift but effective and the mix in the house was good. Besides my (own) vocal mic twisting upside down about 2 times, no gear failed. After 2 songs there was a feedback issue though; tech only took a second or 30 to fix it and we were rolling again.

The songs went ok. we started off with the hardest one, "Hippodrome" (one of our originals). The lead guitarist forgot a part and when singing I noticed something was wrong; we improvised because I was starting to make a mistake. I sung  one line where it shouldn't but I repeated it in the next riff so it sounded like it was meant to be :) In general we played songs too fast but we never broke a song apart by fumbling or something. The communication among bandmembers went good and we managed to "end" songs, something that was somewhat hard on rehearsal sessions. I had to switch from playing with a pick to fingerstyle so I just threw that pick in front of me :) i'm not going to attach them to the mic stand though; gonna find something else for that. Capo same thing (I use capo for one song).
We played hippodrom again in the end, as some people missed it. This time, it went better :)

People liked our originals more than the covers and that was good to hear. They noticed that we gave more of ourselves in them. It was a delight to be on stage; I guess I'm such an attention whore that I actually feed on it. Having an audience for you and the band for an hour is quite a luxury.

I had some forum friends over as well; JulieSun and Katja were there too! they don't even live in my country! My parents offered them a place to stay and it was cool to meet them in real life.

The rehearsal and setup time in the afternoon was no luxury because we organized the event ourselves and booked just ourselves :) So nowI know what it is to organize AND get booked. I learned a lot.
also about being on stage, handling things life, copying with tech issues like the mic feedback problem etc.

My father filmed with a manual camera in front of the stage and a fixed camera at the back of the place. I wonder what it will look like. In the meantime, the soundguy managed to record every mic (14) to seperate, continuous tracks so we can actually mix it! he also saved the "master" output to a file but that one has skips. The seperate tracks are ok though. A bit quiet perhaps but I think he played on safe to avoid peaks.

I think there aren't many band who do their first gig for people like this. a decent stage and PA, soundguy, beer on tap, several hundreds of euro sponsored funding, a radio spot on the local radio, a free keg of beer, bringing songs properly in a set of about 12 or 13 songs. I'm proud of the band because they did great.

There weren't much good pictures but I asked my dad if he could take some "screenshots" from his filming :)

From here?
We got encouraged to write more songs and do more gigs. We'll enter in some competitions as well.

Setlist:
HIPPODROME*
HEY JOE
PIECE OF YOU*
RED HOUSE
NEW FOOL*
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH
BURN (YOU)*
THE JOKER
FOLSOM PRISON BLUES
WATCHTOWER

encores:

NEW FOOL*
BORN TO BE WILD
HIPPODROME*

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:55:57 am by LievenDV »

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 490
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 11:09:48 am »
KaBoom!

Ace.
I'm off to see if you've posted an audio / video yet.

:)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »
Awesome!  Sounds cool. Glad it all went well.

You've really come a long way in what seems like a short time.
Gone

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 03:54:25 pm »
Sounds really cool. So what is next?
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »
Great success! I'm sure you were having fun. And you organized all things pretty well!
Waiting for concert CD/DVD ;)!

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »
for those wondering about the concert footage:

Here is a selection of 7 songs:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6AyMGjc2A4hQTcoBGfafpy4vxb7Tf2Mo

My father filmed it, our own Digger72 made the audio mix (we were able te record seperate tracks of all the mics) I noticed that live there was more reverb on the vocal but that would have been a bit too much on the recording. Track mixing in UK, audience from The Netherlands and Germany; very cool to have so much JustinGuitar-people involved!

(btw don't forget to like us on Facebook to follow our news! :p   https://www.facebook.com/PointFifty )

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 490
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:20 pm »
Just started watching now ....  8)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 490
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 01:06:14 pm »
Wow
I am really enjoying these Lieven.
Super cool rock-punk-surf-country

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 490
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 01:07:44 pm »
Good work digger too
 :)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 490
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 01:13:39 pm »
Last song - I'm rocking.
More to the point - you guys were rocking.
This is a big WOW.
 8)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 490
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 01:25:10 pm »
Those originals stand up and hold their own against the 'classics' so you must be on to something.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 01:28:58 pm »
Yeah, that turned our really well. The originals are very strong and more relaxed.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App