Author Topic: How do the Major Scales names work? and technical question..  (Read 5107 times)

Offline GeHoin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
How do the Major Scales names work? and technical question..
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:34:56 pm »
Hello,

I have few questions :

1) About major scales. I don't understand why we call them E, A, D... For example, the major scale E, the first root note is on the third fret and it should be a G note ?

2) When I do a scale, sometimes with the notes on A and E strings, the palm of my hand mutes the B and e strings. Is that a problem ?

3) For doing the 12 bar blues, I use my thumb and my first finger (right hand) but can I also do it with my first and second finger or isn't that a good way ?

Thanks !
What goes on tour, stays on tour...

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 09:35:52 am »
Hi

1. The EAD.. etc is to do with the parent shape from the CAGED system. See some notes are red, all together they make the parent chord shape. You will see that the "E" one looks a lot like the E shape open chord (but played as a barre). can you see that? so the scale is shaped around the chord. They are used as reference. E shape will always have a 6th string root, A will always have a 5th string root, etc... ask again if you are still not clear...

2. When playing scales, ALL other string other than the one you are playing should be muted, so what you are doing is good, just do more of it!

3. For 12 Bar Blues you would be best to use a pick, or do a little strum with your thumb. What you are doing will rpibably sound ok, but never really perfect!

Hope that helps

Au revoir
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline GeHoin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:13:01 pm »
1) Now I see the chords through the scale, I'll never get it if you haven't explain it to me ! And can we move the scales ? By example the E shape start at second fret, can we start it at the fifth fret ?

2) I don't sound the others strings, but maybe the palm of my left hand should not touch any strings at all. I don't know if I'm clear ! Maybe it's a bad habit ?

3) I tryed to use a pick but I can only strum one string at a time, that's why I use my fingers lol The strings are too far, I can't strum one with the pick and the other one with my thumb.

Thanks

And if you want I can teach you french !  :wink:

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 04:06:28 pm »
1. you can move all the shapes anywhere - the name of the scale comes from the root note. Put your second finger in the 5th fret and play the E shape and you will be playing A Major Scale. Put it at the 8th fret and you will play C Major - got it?

2. not a bad habit - don't stress. you will WANT to mute them later with either your palm or your index finger - maybe post a picture and show me what you mean.

3. Learn to pick ore than one sring at a time - like a short strum that just hits 2 strings!!

I'll pass on the French lessons, but thanks for the offer :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline GeHoin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:49:23 pm »
1) Ok, I think now I get it ! If I put my second finger in third fret E string (thick one) I'm gonna play a G Major Scale with E shape.

2) I drew a picture, I know it's crap but I have no camera and I'm not Picasso (no kidding !) :lol:

3) I think I get it but I'm not sure. First I strum the A string and then the D string very quickly. But I need to be careful not strumming the G string !

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:56:09 pm »
1. Yes. cool.

2. Don't worry about it. It's better if your fingers and palm touch the string if you are not supposed to play them... check out my Basket Case lesson on you tube for an explination with video.

3. Yes, strum the two strings more or less at the same time. See the video for 12 bar in 12 keys on youtube for video!

J

Offline GeHoin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 06:27:02 pm »
Thank you for your help and your time  :wink:

See you next time I have a question !!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App