Author Topic: TE-110 • The Finger Gym  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
TE-110 • The Finger Gym
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:25:40 pm by Indigo »

Offline D.S.

• Good Vibes 0
Re: TE-110 • The Finger Gym
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:29:29 pm »
hey folks, can i ask the question about the finger gym ?

is it common when u first start practicing the hammer-on u will sometimes hit the string not accurately?
and for the flick-off sometimes the finger you used to press the string start bending a lil bit when you flick the string?

and the flick-off parts is hardly ring out when i used my third and fourth fingers. is there any advice that i can use to make it better beside "always play slowly" by justin..?

i'm so glad if i can dig up some advice here.

cheers

Offline Maiters1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »
Hi , hope someone can help me out here , I'm on on stage five and I was having trouble with c7 to g7 change , I managed to get it to 58  changes at stage 4 but it was a struggle  so I started doing the finger gym as the five minute warm up instead of the normal one  to try and get some strength in my pinkie as that seems to be the issue really , I can do all the other 7th chords fine in stage 4 and 5  it I've now found c 7 to g7 has gone backwards ?????  I'm lucky if I can do 40 clean ones now , how long generally does it take the finger gym to kick in and pinkie strength become apparent , it was achy the first two days but not now I've been doing a week so it's not because my finger is sore , help me thanks in advance 

Offline sdd56

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:18:18 pm »
Not sure I can be much help as I am at a similar stage and have a similar problem with C7-G7.

I've been stuck at around 55 changes for 3 weeks now.

However this morning I did try a different method of changing. Previously I had been twisting my wrist to make the change from C7-G7, keeping my fingers in roughly the same position. This meant that the change felt uncomfortable, and my 3rd finger ended up in the middle of the E string fret.

This morning  I tried a different method - from C7, I led with my 3rd finger, 'bouncing' fingers 2&3 up 1 string each and just dropping the index down one. This feels much more comfortable, and I think will speed it up.
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline VanManNW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:18:42 am »
I would say stop practicing it for awhile if you've been hitting it hard.  Unless you really need it for a song you're working on. It's sometimes amazing what some rest will do.
Maybe just practice it casually and slowly thinking about hand position for a few seconds each day. Then hit the minute changes again and see where you're at.
Don't worry about loosing the progress you've built. It will return quickly.

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 04:12:12 am »
Is the recommended speed in quarter or eight notes?

Offline versuswhat

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 12:40:36 pm »
hi all - newbie to the forum here and just getting started with Justin's lessons! Question on the Finger Gym exercise: I see Justin mentions using the tip of the fingers rather than the pads. This seems quite awkward to do on the first finger and throws the left hand a bit out of shape. On the video, Justin doesn't seem to be using the tip either. Is this something that gets natural over time?

cheers!

Vikram

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:47:53 pm »
It's important to use the tips of your fingers. That way, you'll learn not to mute strings by accident. You hand is going to learn something new, and that will take time and practice. I remember my first practice sessions thinking to myself: "i'll never get this right.". But i did. You will too. Take it slowly. If i remember well, it's all about the training of the muscles, not about speed. Getting the notes to ring out clearly, should be the objective.
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 04:14:05 pm »
Vikram

What the good Lord is saying is true but also have a look at the last but one comment from BC106.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-106-PostureFingerPlacement.php

Here Justin explains that you should be starting on your finger tips and its good practice to do so but in time you will start to flatten your fingers in order to mute the strings below. However, that's something to aim in the future, so tips for now.

I guess in that Finger Gym lesson its a case of "do as I say not as I do" as I'm sure with all the time under his fingers, Justin naturally flatten his fingers, where as beginners we need to progress slowly to that level.

Hope that helps.

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Get The Forum As A Mobile App