Author Topic: TE-110 • The Finger Gym  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
TE-110 • The Finger Gym
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:25:40 pm by Indigo »

Offline D.S.

• Good Vibes 0
Re: TE-110 • The Finger Gym
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:29:29 pm »
hey folks, can i ask the question about the finger gym ?

is it common when u first start practicing the hammer-on u will sometimes hit the string not accurately?
and for the flick-off sometimes the finger you used to press the string start bending a lil bit when you flick the string?

and the flick-off parts is hardly ring out when i used my third and fourth fingers. is there any advice that i can use to make it better beside "always play slowly" by justin..?

i'm so glad if i can dig up some advice here.

cheers

Offline Maiters1

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »
Hi , hope someone can help me out here , I'm on on stage five and I was having trouble with c7 to g7 change , I managed to get it to 58  changes at stage 4 but it was a struggle  so I started doing the finger gym as the five minute warm up instead of the normal one  to try and get some strength in my pinkie as that seems to be the issue really , I can do all the other 7th chords fine in stage 4 and 5  it I've now found c 7 to g7 has gone backwards ?????  I'm lucky if I can do 40 clean ones now , how long generally does it take the finger gym to kick in and pinkie strength become apparent , it was achy the first two days but not now I've been doing a week so it's not because my finger is sore , help me thanks in advance 

Offline sdd56

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:18:18 pm »
Not sure I can be much help as I am at a similar stage and have a similar problem with C7-G7.

I've been stuck at around 55 changes for 3 weeks now.

However this morning I did try a different method of changing. Previously I had been twisting my wrist to make the change from C7-G7, keeping my fingers in roughly the same position. This meant that the change felt uncomfortable, and my 3rd finger ended up in the middle of the E string fret.

This morning  I tried a different method - from C7, I led with my 3rd finger, 'bouncing' fingers 2&3 up 1 string each and just dropping the index down one. This feels much more comfortable, and I think will speed it up.
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 5/6.
Yamaha F310 Acoustic.
Yamaha ERG121 Electric.

Offline VanManNW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:18:42 am »
I would say stop practicing it for awhile if you've been hitting it hard.  Unless you really need it for a song you're working on. It's sometimes amazing what some rest will do.
Maybe just practice it casually and slowly thinking about hand position for a few seconds each day. Then hit the minute changes again and see where you're at.
Don't worry about loosing the progress you've built. It will return quickly.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App