Author Topic: Available on vinyl?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline SGplayin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Available on vinyl?
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:52 pm »
  Just curious if this album is or will be available on vinyl. 

Offline SGplayin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: Available on vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:32:52 pm »
 I guess it is not available on vinyl as there is no response.  Even though there is a link for CD,  it does not show anything and I cannot find and CD available anywhere, so I guess it is available only on MP3.

I know it has been awhile since this album came out,  but I was not around here at the time and not really paying attention to what was going on, so I am sorry I was not around for the initial support.

I was listening to the songs on YouTube and thought this was worth buying, so I downloaded the MP3s for both the Shattered Matter and Recipe for Destruction albums.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:01:11 pm by SGplayin »

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:15 am »
I don't know the answer, but keep in mind that the regular posters here are from all over the world. When you post, the person that knows your answer could be asleep, in transit, spending time with family, or any number of things.

Three hours is not a large amount of time in the grand scheme. You may get an answer still

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:55:18 am »
Highly doubtful. Cost plus limited audience. Maybe after they have a few more releases and greatest hits on vinyl for the cool factor... but other than that.... I doubt it.
Gone

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:53 am »
Vinyl takes an enormous amount of equipment to produce - you've got to melt the vinyl, pour it into the record molds, then press and cool them.

They scratch, warp, and relatively few people have the machines to even play them any more.

I highly doubt that there will be a vinyl release. There's much better things to be done with money than that.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline SGplayin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:18 am »
Vinyl takes an enormous amount of equipment to produce - you've got to melt the vinyl, pour it into the record molds, then press and cool them.

They scratch, warp, and relatively few people have the machines to even play them any more.

I highly doubt that there will be a vinyl release. There's much better things to be done with money than that.

While it is true that vinyl is a more expensive form of media to produce and not as convenient as an MP3,  vinyl records is not a dead form of listening to and collecting music.  Vinyl has been making a strong comeback over the recent years with many musicians and labels including lesser known, independent musicians,  have been producing new vinyl records as well as re-issues of older albums on 180gram vinyl. Many on very unique colored and picture vinyl records.
 There are record stores opening which sell new and used vinyl records. There are modern phonograph players where you can copy right to a USB then transfer to your computer and phone.
  It has been studied that the sales of CDs have dropped while sales of vinyl has grown when it came to the sales of the physical copy of a music album.   So there are still many people who own a phonograph player and buy vinyl records and have an effect on the sales of vinyl records.   Else, there would be no reason why they would be making new vinyl records at this day and age of cheap MP3 downloads.

Whether or not it would be financially worthwhile to produce and sell, I don't consider it to be an unusual question to ask. 

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:51:43 am »
Vinyl records don't have the dynamic range that digital has. If it's making a comeback it's because "audiofiles" with more money than sense bought into some hype and someone's trying to take advantage of them. Or because they'd rather look at their music than listen to it.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:48:07 am »
Vinyl records don't have the dynamic range that digital has. If it's making a comeback it's because "audiofiles" with more money than sense bought into some hype and someone's trying to take advantage of them. Or because they'd rather look at their music than listen to it.

Please pass the popcorn and beers, this is going to be an interesting and entertaining thread.  ;D
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:12 pm »
Or because they'd rather look at their music than listen to it.

I think that is a major part of it. Many really do want it for several reasons -- other than the music itself --.

We have a record store here that has survived for ages and they sell used media. There is a segment on PBS station where they interview people that buy vinyl.

1. The art
2. Their parents had vinyl vinyl and they started listening to some old records
3. The experience of having to sit down and relax and actually place the needle on the record.

Except for one guy who was prompted about digital, no one really mentioned sound quality. It was more the experience. It's simply the experience... and of course the collect ability of some of those old records. Some are quite expensive, apparently getting into the thousands for a single record.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:52 pm »
  It has been studied that the sales of CDs have dropped while sales of vinyl has grown when it came to the sales of the physical copy of a music album.   

Yep, it's been studied that if Fender puts out a novelty guitar it sells for more than the same thing without the novelty name. Like Playboy guitar... $5K   same thing regular ... $2K.

Vinyl is a novelty... nothing wrong with it if that's your thing, but it's still a novelty.
Gone

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »

Please pass the popcorn and beers, this is going to be an interesting and entertaining thread.  ;D

Vinyl is the reason we have compression in music.

It was needed to keep the needle from jumping out of the grooves.

Now, with CD's or downloads (even with 8 tracks, probably- I'm not sure on 'standard' cassettes, they've got a lot less real estate to play with) it isn't needed any more, but so many people still grew up with vinyl that they like the compressed sound, so on and on it goes.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:15:53 pm »
Vynyl breathes. It changes over time. For certain music, cd's are nice, but can be too clinical. I still love getting out old records and listening to them because of that. It just brings a life to certain songs that you don't get otherwise.

With most modern music however, I do prefer cd or above. That's what it was recorded for. I think once the readily available recording technologies outgrew vynyl, it became somewhat obsolete, but with records mastered specifically for it, it sounds great; especially old blues or jazz performances.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:09:23 pm »
Vinyl is the reason we have compression in music.

but so many people still grew up with vinyl that they like the compressed sound, so on and on it goes.

Compression is used to make the music sound good... plain and simple. It may have been a 'mechanical' tool at one time. Now, and for quite some long time it is a tool of sonic life and excitement.

Gone

Offline SGplayin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:53:02 pm »
  Listening to vinyl also encourages people to listen to the entire album  while only getting up to flip the record. The listener is less likely to get up to move the needle to skip songs where someone listening to a CD or digital can just hit the skip or repeat button listening to the same song over and over.

I will be fair and say there are disadvantages of vinyl that most will agree with and that's simply it isn't portable to listen to and can be easily damaged/scratched.   I will assume this is why people don't have vinyl because you aren't going to look cool carrying around a big phonograph on your belt even if you ARE wearing overpriced Dr Dre BEATS headphones.

I enjoy music and have my collection on different forms whether it be vinyl,  CD or MP3.  My favorites I have on vinyl and sometimes have a copy on CD as well.  I can listen to a CD and listen to the same album on vinyl and for me it is a different listening experience.  In some cases there is a different sound, in other cases it is something nostalgic when listening to an older vinyl and other cases it is holding and looking at the album art while listening to the music.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 05:02:46 pm »
Things don't always sound different just because it's vinyl. Sometimes the CD is made to sound different and may in fact sound worse... not because of the medium but because it was remixed and mastered poorly.

Also when digital was young people really didn't know what they were doing and screwed up a lot of stuff. Also the converters were not as good as they are now.

there is a lot going on. It's quite possible to have a piece of vinyl that sounds better than a CD. Not so much that vinyl simply sounds better but because there exists no CD of that particular piece done properly.... but provided the master tapes were available... it's quite likely someone could make a digital master that sounds better than the existing vinyl.

It's not magic either way. It's skill and knowledge of the medium. After that it's simply personal preference.

Gone

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 05:19:22 pm »
I don't know which sounds 'better' per se, that gets subjective.  But in terms of a technologies' ability to reproduce or replicate the information with as little measurable difference between the master, gotta go with CD over vinyl. 

But beauty is in the ear of the hearer... I'm not sure more accurate and better have the same meaning in this context.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »
I don't know about anyone else but I don't like buying downloads. I'd rather pay extra for a psychical version.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:20:44 pm by TheCasual »
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 07:10:46 pm »
Buy a CD and listen to it through a good tube amp. You'll get the best of both worlds. The CD's will sound better than vinyl, and you'll have a "physical version"
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 07:32:02 pm »
I don't know about anyone else but I don't like buying downloads. I'd rather pay extra for a psychical version.

Watch out for those psychics ... they can read your mind.

I'm not crazy about downloads. Albums were cooler than CDs for sure. I wish at a minimum we had a 24/48 standard. I know if you want to listen to something immediately off a website you might have to give up something but 24/48 is not asking too much as a purchase delivery medium. Then people can rerender to whatever they want.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App