Author Topic: Steel Drums - Katja, Digger, TB  (Read 931 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Steel Drums - Katja, Digger, TB
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »
Let's just discuss this here or via email... either is fine with me.

If you think you have a feel for how the steel drums may go, you probably want to send me the midi file sooner than later... because what you send may not translate at all like you think it will.
I have never tried steel drums nor do I have any midi rhythms and of all things I can imagine this being a bit of a process to get it sounding authentic.

In fact if you even have chord changes over X number of bars, it might help to have a chart.

Gone

Offline katja

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
    • Bandcamp
Re: Steel Drums - Katja, Digger, TB
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:14:43 am »
All right, let's get started with the basics.

Since I haven't been able to record for some time we cannot send a full arrangement, yet.
We can only share a snippet of the song. It's just the beginning of our idea. It is the first draft I sent Digger ages ago. I hope it gives you a flavour of the vibe anyway.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hbn95x26ip2bztz/01_HOTO (first snippet).mp3

Would you agree that the steel drum could play something like that little guitar riff? The one that mainly plays in the left speaker. What does your gut say?

I hope to get back to recording by the beginning of September. I will write the structure and a chord chart down. Anything you may need. I'd like to check out what this guitar riff sounds like. Would you like us to send you a midi file of this riff so that you can administer a first test?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:08:40 am »
That's a really pretty song.

Yes, I think they might good. That sort of reminded me of Jimmy Buffet when it started. I think he might might have some steel drums in some of his songs.

I'll look around for some steel drum midi files.

It's such a strange instrument. ... and I'm not clear how they actually play them... I know they are pitched  but I don't think every drum is pitched the same. ... and one person can't play but such a big chord.

I'll watch some YT vids and see if i can figure how they do it.... but yes, I think it would be easier if I just have a midi file of that instrument and then you can drop the guitar and raise the drums or just raise the drums and see how it sits.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:17:28 am »
Steel drums definitely have standard tunings. Google and you will find a million links on their construction and how to play them
Insert humorous signature here.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App