Author Topic: Cheap tower PC to run DAW(s) on?  (Read 3957 times)

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: Cheap tower PC to run DAW(s) on?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 09:17:17 pm »
Scrounge around and yeah, you'll be able to find something that meets those four requirements pretty cheaply (maybe not $150, but a lot less than $500).

Absolutely! But;

Is it going to outperform the existing laptop?
Is it going to be quiet enough to allow you to record acoustic instruments in the same room?
Will it allow you to upgrade in the future without trashing the investment?
Will it frustrate you every time you do a recording project?

Original post didn't mention anything about DAW or recording requirements, only a set of hardware specs that had to be met.

I just said what I thought you could meet those base requirements for.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 09:24:34 pm »

Original post didn't mention anything about DAW or recording requirements, only a set of hardware specs that had to be met.

From the original post:

I just read on the Cockos forum about buying up old and dated towers to run a DAW on.

I probably shouldn't make assumptions, but from that it would seem logical that it was intended to be used for a DAW?
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 11:41:48 pm »
About the noise thing, my laptop is quite noisy when the fans are blowing like they are most of the time. I kinda stopped caring about that and I think I have a decent chance at scoring a quieter PC.
Upgradability would be very handy, and I doubt that's a possibility on many systems.

This certainly seems trickier than I thought, even with a laptop that's practically four years old (it was already slightly old when I got it).

Also, most logically would of course be to use REAPER (Cockos forum), but there's a possibility that there's gonna be some (Ableton) Live in the mix also. Live has a reputation to be amazingly reliable and needs to be driven extremely hard before it hiccups (not even breaking). REAPER hasn't quite reached that level yet.

I run a 10-track session at most in REAPER, where the only real processor-heavy plugins present are a convoution reverb or two of which are either on a send or a buss. Like in my current project, I'm using a Bricasti M7 plate impulse that seems to be quite heavy. Anything else I use is some slapback delays, EQs and compressors, it's rarely more than that.

But that's just for REAPER. ;)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:15 am »
I used to run SonarX2 Producer and Presonus Studio 1 on a 2-core with 8 gigs. They crashed frequently. Reaper is very light-weight and I haven't had any issues with it. With the old machine though I ran into latency/delay issues when tracking through Guitar rig, because I had to set the buffer rate so high. Also had issues using convolution plugins like Nebula Reverb. Izotope Ozone is one of my favorite plugins on the 2-bus, but had to be careful with it. The ToneBoosters plugins are also nice, but require a lot of video resources. It sounds like for the moment your laptop is adequate except for the noise. IMO ya might as well keep using it until you can build a desktop machine that would actually be an upgrade.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 12:37:29 am »
If you can find a PC that Sonar can't crash..... buy it.

Live is solid... or it used to be.... don't have a recent version but it was always stable.

Reaper I can bog down.... like Nebula and Ozone  loaded up. but you can back up and it keeps on going.

Cue... what are you running the M7 in? Which host plug?

Gone

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 02:43:31 am »

From the original post:

I just read on the Cockos forum about buying up old and dated towers to run a DAW on.

I probably shouldn't make assumptions, but from that it would seem logical that it was intended to be used for a DAW?

I assumed the hardware requirements would be sufficient, otherwise why list them?  Given the DAW, you don't need much of a computer, as sound and effects processing, as well as recording, can all be offloaded to the CPU in the DAW's physical interface. If you need more than that, the hardware requirements of the base machine go up.

But we've batted this ping pong ball back and forth enough, I think :)
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 03:30:37 am »
Given the DAW, you don't need much of a computer, as sound and effects processing, as well as recording, can all be offloaded to the CPU in the DAW's physical interface. If you need more than that, the hardware requirements of the base machine go up.

Really.. that's interesting because when I run plugins on my DAW, Windows resource monitor shows otherwise.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 03:37:47 am »
Yeah, that's a new one for me too.

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 06:39:23 pm »
TB, I'm using ReaVerb. Cabinet impulses work great in it too, unless I'm trying to run multiple in parallel, but I have LeCab 2 for that. I think I also have SIR sitting around in my VST folder somewhere, but haven't loaded it up yet. I love that M7 library, by the way. :D
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:14 pm »
Ok, that's what I figured I was just wondering... also which set of Bricasti did you get?

I think I have one but have not tried it. also I seem to recall that they gave their blessing to a set to be freely distributed or maybe that was a set for Nebula... At any rate it I'm not sure if I have teh latest adn greatest or not and would like to get them in case they disappear.

That is... at least the unit demo I saw, a beautiful sounding thing.
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 12:41:24 am »
TB, I've looked high and low for free stuff just to see where it could get me. I have yet to make the purchase as REAPER is not free and is very cheap indeed. I will make it final, eventually (don't worry).

That search lead me here: http://www.samplicity.com/ - there's a free set of Bri M7 IRs on it somewhere. I think I used one of the chamber IRs. A little off topic perhaps, but I love chamber reverbs, as well as plates. :)
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App