Author Topic: We Came As Strangers Mixing Competition  (Read 7550 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: We Came As Strangers Mixing Competition
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »
I likely won't enter the competition, but here's my mix:

I added some guitar parts and part of the Martin Luther King "I have a Dream" speech.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 11:51:05 pm »
Nice Scooter, you should enter it man, sounds good.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 12:01:25 am »
Nice Scooter, you should enter it man, sounds good.

Thanks Endureth.. I just found out about this this morning and only spent about 3 hours on it.. but I went ahead and entered it.. 
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 10:59:39 pm »
Well everybody seems to have their own idea of what a remix is.

The song is a good song on it's own, you could do the banjo mix where the only real difference is that it has a banjo track. that's a new mix.

I'm not sure what they want or expect, I think it's anything goes, but I expect they want it recognized as the same song. IOW, not a new song with samples from their song placed in. and not a mashup of two songs.

I agree.. the "remix" thing is confusing because "remixed" songs are often actually re-produced and/or rearranged and not just remixed. But I think this contest includes all of the above.

Found this on YouTube, Justin explains what they expect:

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:27 pm »
I believe you have full control with what you want to do with it, anything goes.  As long as the core of the song is intact.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:16 pm »
I agree.. the "remix" thing is confusing because "remixed" songs are often actually re-produced and/or rearranged and not just remixed.
For me personally, that's always been the definition. That might be because I started in EDM and have done remixes in that vein for years.

[video]
That's how I learned about the contest in the first place, did I miss something? :o

I have one of the concepts down right now, working on the instrumentation and arrangement. Instrumentation? Yes, I only kept the dry vocal track. I didn't even keep the chord progression the same, which caused some happy accidents.

I might be taking this a little too seriously. :P

Speaking of arrangement, does anybody else feel this song is rather 1) slow and 2) long? I say that because by now I've both shortened it and sped it up and it still seems to drag a little bit.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 12:17:14 am »

[video]
That's how I learned about the contest in the first place, did I miss something? :o

Apparently not. But if others, like me, found out about the competition here in this thread, it may be helpful to them. It also clears up what TBAV had wondered.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 01:16:54 am »
Speaking of arrangement, does anybody else feel this song is rather 1) slow and 2) long? I say that because by now I've both shortened it and sped it up and it still seems to drag a little bit.

I've shortened it, but I haven't sped it up. I'm working on adding some of my own playing but it's tough getting things to fit in with all the subtleties on the existing tracks. It's my first attempt at remixing something, so we'll see how it ends up working out  :P

By the way, has a deadline for submissions been announced? All I saw when I downloaded the stems was the date they are announcing winners.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 08:22:49 am »

[video]
Apparently not. But if others, like me, found out about the competition here in this thread, it may be helpful to them. It also clears up what TBAV had wondered.
I see. I thought there might have been another source for a second.

I've shortened it, but I haven't sped it up. I'm working on adding some of my own playing but it's tough getting things to fit in with all the subtleties on the existing tracks. It's my first attempt at remixing something, so we'll see how it ends up working out  :P
The subtleties in the track are actually improving my playing dynamics. ;D
Production and mixing

Offline _Avalon_

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 08:43:51 am »
Is there an ending date indicated somewhere ? I must be blind because I can't find any. If there is still some time I might try something for the fun.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 08:48:04 am »
I suppose the closing date will be a few days before thee winners are chosen (July 18), so yeah, I'd say there's some time. ;)

Good luck!
Production and mixing

Offline _Avalon_

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:31 am »
Great! I will think about what I can do. Like you said, I think the song is rather slow, so I might speed it up, maybe rocking it up a bit too.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:38 pm »
sounds good Mr. Trash.....

I've gotten slammed with work and had to put mine aside. I've tossed a piano in there...

Man yours is really laid back... I didn't think that song could get much more laid back.... nice one.

I had a damn midi feed back loop causing a drop out and I didn't think I would d ever find it.
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 12:41:56 am »
sounds good Mr. Trash.....

I've gotten slammed with work and had to put mine aside. I've tossed a piano in there...

Man yours is really laid back... I didn't think that song could get much more laid back.... nice one.

I had a damn midi feed back loop causing a drop out and I didn't think I would d ever find it.

Thanks TB.

The song had kind of a dream-pop vibe to me and I didn't see any reason to change it much. I do wish I would have had the individual dry layers and not just the mixed stems though.. It's a kewl song.
I'm glad you got your drop-out issue sorted out.  :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 05:27:41 am »
I've still got a ways to go but I think I see some light at end of tunnel.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App