Author Topic: We Came As Strangers Mixing Competition  (Read 7694 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
Re: We Came As Strangers Mixing Competition
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2014, 04:52:20 pm »
New mix.

Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2014, 05:29:06 pm »
Sounds good... Soundcloud seems to change things a bit so it's hard to say but it sounded like to me your quiet parts, the verses, needed to be a dB or two higher and the choruses needed to be a dB or two lower.... the guitar I mean. Also I think I would play through that interlude it sounds a bit sparse. Just a few notes to keep things tied together. Kinda like the ending sounds, just some nice quiet playing.

Again, maybe it's SC because I have noticed things sound level wise a bit different here then when I heard them on SC. Like I will have something that sounds like ok, that's a max here and really pushing it,,, then SC makes it sound like it's too far...

But nice laid back duet.
Gone

Offline katja

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:07 pm »
I enjoyed both of your mixes, Cue. I really like your latest remix. You should enter with this one as well.

Did you finish all your other mixes, TB? Or did you give up on them?
Oh, it could be that your entry is a "mashup" of all of those snippets? Good one, too. I like it.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2014, 06:19:11 pm »
I think I will add the reggae mix I posted just above if I can add some more pieces to it.
It will contain none of their performance except Ellem which is not what I aim for but it would take a lot of editing to put in and I don;t think I have time. It get's the idea across though I suppose.

I also added this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQvVPLkPAY

there are some aspects of this one I like and some that still bother me. This is fairly true to their performances but I dropped some things here and there and added quite a bit .

and this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPwGZvOFCNM

I actually kinda like this one and it is the most true to their performances with me added. It doesn't sound like much of me there.

I wouldn't call any of them totally 100% but I wanted to see if I could get a few going under a time constraint. So 2 mixes with them totally in there and 1 without them. I started a Piano duet posted back a page in a SC link but i doubt I'll finish that. https://soundcloud.com/tb-av/piano-remix-intro

I've actually liked all of the ones I've heard. They are really different musically. They may not be ready for the mastering house but they are pretty cool musically, which I expect is what Justin was sort of looking for. Musical variety.

Gone

Offline katja

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2014, 06:44:30 pm »
Yep, there are a lot of great entries. I'm just "working" through all of them.

I like your synth remix best. Just because I love synths and those sound superb. I'd love to rifle through your synth collection.
You know that Digger and I love 80s music and synthesizers as well. We had to do an 80s like remix.

I enjoyed your other mixes as well because you changed the vocal flow a bit which gives it a totally different feel.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2014, 08:40:33 pm »
That turned out really nice. Haven't heard a vocoder lately.

I'd love to rifle through your synth collection.

I love it when you talk synthy to me, LOL!

You would have quite a time I suppose. I actually own an ARP2601 although it never gets used... and a DX7MkIIE!... also rarely used except for controller.

Absynth
Massive
FM8
A Few Mini Moog 
Ultra Analog
XILS
PSYN
DimensionII
Z3TA - around here somewhere
Reaktor - that's another whole ordeal.
Something from u-he but I forget what.
Kontakt and all it's stuff which is a sampler but same thing.

Just all manner of stuff that's in other programs as an instrument. I don't even know what I have.

The only thing I don't have that people rave about is Omnisphere and actually another Sylenth... those two are what everyone says ok, you get 1 synth... which one... most always pick Omnisphere.

If you want to hear something really interesting.....

This is Brian Clevinger - He wrote / writes Absynth.. Native Instruments bought it from him but he still writes it.  This is more of a soundtrack type deal but this is -one note-. read his description.. it's supposed to be an iceberg melting and what it might sound like inside. If you ever look at the Absynth interface you will wonder not only how did he write it but how could he plan this sound. The water sounds around the 6:00 mark are something... a lot of it also sounds like what you hear scuba diving... those pinched sounds and clicks.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-clevinger-1/dissolving-ice-tunnels

BTW... this guy is really good... really good... he will also interview people like Brian and the other synth inventors. He also shows you how to actually build a sound within any given synth and dig deeper into it. He really knows his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuKxBfrjXMDZZfuP_bfSHFA
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »
TB,

My dynamics were thrown off because I'm used to playing acoustic instruments. Through an amplifier it's all a little different. I'll see what I can do on the interlude - cheers!

Here's a folk rock ish mix:

Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2014, 11:26:49 pm »
That sounds nice.... I like it

When I first started listening to this song it seemed very laid back and somber. ... and that's pretty much where my first mix went ... into the darker side.

But it really seems to work out better with upbeat rhythms. It all depends on how much of them you leave in. But if you just take her vocals it can be really upbeat.

I really like that one.... it's sort of Folk with an Indie flavor. It kinda reminded me of like M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel kind of thing.  Or could go down that road anyway.

I like that last one Digger and Katja did too.

If they ever want to record an entire CD of remixes of that one song they sure have enough ideas to go on. That's an easily likable song.

Gone

Offline katja

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2014, 10:43:56 am »
What a collection, TB! Listening to Clevinger, now. Really nice.

I wonder if you could help us out with recording steel drums for one of our songs. Do you have something like that somewhere?

Oh, and there are quite some ideas floating around for Shattered Matter. There is another synthy version. We kicked out everything except the bass and piano. We didn't nail it down, yet. I got a bit sick of playing with the song to be honest.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2014, 11:05:33 am »
I got a bit sick of playing with the song to be honest.

The reason i won't be sending something in;
I'd LIKE to but I'm afraid I'd get demotivated because I suck at it :D

So I really admire all these productions and the pateience that goes into them

Keep up the good work guys; the people in this thread are some hefty competition for the other competitors out there!!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »

I wonder if you could help us out with recording steel drums for one of our songs. Do you have something like that somewhere?

I have steel drums in Kontakt, I would be happy to run a midi file through it. Beyond that I don't know much at all about steel drums.

I don't know how they are supposed to be played. I can tell you the instrument is basically set up so you play one note but can change it's character quite a bit. Tonality and damp or ringing.

Then there is a knob that plays a chord or interval for each single note. You can pick Oct, 3rd, 4th, 5th, Maj, min, sus etc...

So I think it's programmed to sound like multiple players rather than if you actually played a chord on a keyboard.

At any rate, just email me the midi file, otherwise I'm not sure how to go about it unless you have some ideas.
Gone

Offline katja

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2014, 08:39:38 pm »
Awesome! Sounds as if you've got what we'd like to hear.
The basic arrangement is done. We will record all bits properly in August and September. We'll send you a demo and a midi file as soon as possible. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:13 pm »
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »
If I remember correctly, the closing date is in two days (July 14), in case anybody missed it. It said so in the confirmation email when I submitted my first mix.
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »
Yep,,, looks like the time is upon us... I've gotten too busy with work and personal stuff...

Submitting a mini-mix.

The photos in this video, for anyone interested, were taken in western Jamaica. I do not have the book, but somewhere in Catch a Fire like maybe first page of Cpt. 15 or Cpt. 7 there is a very brief mention of Bob having a retreat on the other side of Jamaica from where he generally lived. There is a magazine on the news stands right now devoted to Bob and his life, that also mentions it. This is that retreat home.

According to the magazine a storm has since taken it away and there was a big storm that took out my friends very heavy duty gazebo built into concrete so being just up the road it makes since that this would have been destroyed. I have never seen any other pictures of his retreat and I took these.

There was a little circular area in the rocks out front that sort of formed a natural spa type resting area. Also very close by was a fresh water cave... Beyond that moving away from the sea and reasonably short walk up into the "bush" as the Jamaican's call it, would be high ground to escape a storm and also the Ganja plantings. There is no running water and electricity get's sketchy out there so it makes since he would have chosen this spot as it offers a lot when you are that far out..... it's not the easiest place to get to and all the locals 'notice your arrival' so to speak... long before you get there.  .... and it has a beach which most of this area does not.... it's typically rock and often cliffs... so to have beach and cliffs is desirable as well as a shallow cove. Everyone there is adamant to the fact that he sat out on those rocks and came up with the lyrics "rock was my pillow" "rock stone was my pillow".... this would of course also be in reasonable contrast to the "concrete jungle" he was used to. Apparently he had a girlfriend out that way as well or they would meet out there.

Now if he can forgive me for my interpretation of Jamaican music....

Kinda hard to read....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:58:21 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App