Author Topic: We Came As Strangers Mixing Competition  (Read 6393 times)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 46
We Came As Strangers Mixing Competition
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:59:37 am »
So I took a stab at Justin's mixing competition and searched for other threads that I could add to but haven't seen one yet so I started this one.  I put it here because it's the 'production' forum so if it belongs somewhere else, please move it for me?

Here's my entry, submitted through all the proper channels, just posting here to see how many other people are going to give it a go and share their mixes.

I opted not to add any instruments but I took some out and did a bit of arranging.

Enjoy:

Offline artonsafari

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
Re: We Came As Strangers Mixing Competition
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »
Cool. Might have to give it a go in a style I'm not used to.  :D
The correct amount of guitars is one more than you currently own

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:18:05 pm »

My attempt at butchering very good song.

Didn't add any new playing, but replaced the drums and bass with a more reggae groove. Also adding a sitar instead of the piano. I removed the synth because it clashed with sitar.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:50:11 pm by TheCasual »
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:11:37 am »
I'm giving it a go.

Since there's no mention of entries-per-person I might end up with two radically different mixes. Provided I don't run out of inspiration on one. ;D
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:31:31 am »
I'm giving it a go.

Since there's no mention of entries-per-person I might end up with two radically different mixes. Provided I don't run out of inspiration on one. ;D

Read on the WCAS website you can enter as many times as you want.

With your talent I expect something special  ;)

Something bluegrass? banjo riffs?  ;)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 46
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:08 am »
Good to hear because I might be working on another version right now.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:12:17 am »
Wow, this looks pretty cool! Hopefully I'll have some time to give it a go this weekend.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:13:33 am »
I've started something rough, but I hope they aren't going to end this any time soon.

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:59:57 am »
I'm giving it a go.

Read on the WCAS website you can enter as many times as you want.

With your talent I expect something special  ;)

Something bluegrass? banjo riffs?  ;)
Ah, thanks for the compliment! :)

I only read the PDF, not the website. I should've known. ;D

I was indeed thinking of something bluegrass-influenced, but with more of a general acoustic music approach. Sucks that I don't have an upright bass at my disposal, but many acoustic sessions use an electric bass anyway.

ETA: And so did New Grass Revival, except I'm not even 1% as talented as even one of the members. :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:34:29 am by Cue Zephyr »
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 02:08:38 pm »
Had another go at butchering and went totally out my comfort zone and did a dance remix.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 146
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:20:09 pm »
Good job guys; I like diggers version most though

TheCasual: no offence but for you no "good job". You just sampled Adagio for Strings, the piano that falls in around 0:20 conflicts with the rhythm and around 0:30 it gets a total mess with asynchronous beats and melodies. The piano going through the song just doesn't fit.

Again, no offence but are you mocking us as a forumtroll or did you seriously believe this was a good entry?
If you're no troll; excuse my harshness but I don't think your up to this challenge.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 02:39:23 pm »

TheCasual: no offence but for you no "good job". You just sampled Adagio for Strings, the piano that falls in around 0:20 conflicts with the rhythm and around 0:30 it gets a total mess with asynchronous beats and melodies. The piano going through the song just doesn't fit.

Again, no offence but are you mocking us as a forumtroll or did you seriously believe this was a good entry?
If you're no troll; excuse my harshness but I don't think your up to this challenge.

No offence taken.

I haven't and wasn't going to enter it.

I don't listen to dance and it's my only my second ever attempt. You never get the stems for songs, but I'd thought mess around with it.

I did put "butchered"  ;)

I'm definitely no troll  :D

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 02:47:05 pm »
Lieven,

That was uncalled for.

Insert humorous signature here.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 03:04:54 pm »

Wow!!!  I didn't think it was so bad. Once you focus in on the beat it starts making sense rhythmically surprisingly enough. I kind of enjoyed it. I've certainly heard worse remixes done by professional DJs.

I was gonna try and mess with it some, but I suppose I'll just keep it to myself now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:31:55 pm by bradt »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 04:56:31 pm »
No offence taken.

I haven't and wasn't going to enter it.

If you move that piano around a bit,,, that's not a bad arrangement. You might as well enter it. what usually happens with these mix competitions is this... There are few that just don't sound right... lot's of reasons but they just aren't right.

Then there are those that are a lot alike. Nothing earth shatteringly different about them. People will say, of this bass drum sounds better than that one or this reverb is batter than that one but overall they are actually real similar emotionally even if different styles.

Then you get a couple that are noticeably different but have some inherent flaw that sticks out.

Then you have a couple guys that do this stuff for a living, have a nice studio and they come up with something that is just mind blowing --- this is way more so when they take a somewhat novice band and rework it than with people like Justin is hanging with. although it can happen either way.

BUT..... if you don't post yours and all the others don't post theirs then no one can say... wow, I can fix this aspect of my my mix by talking to the guy that did the middle of the road mix and got a great sounding bass or whatever.... AND... people will also tell you, without you asking what to fix on yours and how to fix it. You are not going to go from 'can't mix' to 'pro mix' in two steps....... or if you do, you better quit your job and go to London or Nashville or something.....

Take your piano track, turn "SNAP TO GRID" OFF. Slide it around while the music plays. See if it will sit in the mix somewhere else. AND/OR listen for a piece of the piano track and see if it would work as a loop dropped in somewhere repeatedly or occasionally.

BTW... where are the other mixes? I would like to hear some others. I don't care if they are good or bad.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App