Author Topic: changing chords during strumming  (Read 10064 times)

Offline algebun

• Good Vibes 0
changing chords during strumming
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:10:51 pm »
Justin mentioned in his lessons that between chord changes many use and 'open strum' to give them time to get to the next chord.  This has worked out great for me for open chords.  Does the same advice apply for 'barre chords'? I find doing this 'open strum' from barre to open chords works great.  But . . .  for some reason going from open chords to barre chords using the 'open strum' method sounds funny.  It sounds partially muted.  I believe it's because as I'm doing the 'open strum',  parts (not all) of my fingers are at the barre chord.   Is this something I just need to practice more or is this 'open strum' technique not good for strumming from open to barre. 

Thanks for your time

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: changing chords during strumming
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:47:33 pm »
The 'open strum' isn't really something you want to get in the habit of doing. Yes, it's there and it sounds ok with just about anything (it's an Emin11 or Amin11/E), but ideally you want to change between strums.

You're correct about why it's muting - as soon as the barre touches the strings it mutes them. The chord comes a split second after that, no matter how 'cleanly' you make the change. It's a bit like trying to end a bend by lifting it off the fretboard - you'll always get a little downward 'squawk' when you do. This is why you mute the string, then lift your fingers.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:42:21 am »
If you use that technique, you will actually -want- the strings to mute. Some changes would be in key as open strings rings out but a lot of times they not be the notes you want so they need to be muted.

At certain tempos you simply can't get there in time but you can prevent wrong notes from sounding. Try minimizing the movements of your hand. Like making big arcs. Try to analyze things and minimize your movements.

It's a PITA when you are just a little too slow to make a clean change between chords, so you try to speed up and stumble or you slow down and use the mute strum. Sometimes you work yourself through that by minimizing your movements to as little as possible to buy yourself some time.

The technique is fine to use and somewhat style dependent but the wrong notes ringing is problematic.
Gone

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 02:57:37 am »
I think I tend to use the slide/mute between barre chords, and just use whatever sound I get between chords as part of the rhythm. When your changes speed up it's barely noticeable anyway.

Offline algebun

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 04:10:51 am »
Drubbing

Don't mean to sound dumb, but what is slide/mute?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 05:43:32 am »
I just release the barre pressure and slide to the next oneā€¦ No fingers off and on.

Offline Tazz3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 11:32:48 pm »
What video does he talk about this

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:04:43 am »
I don't know that he does. But it's pretty self explanatory.

Offline jnewman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:08:03 am »
I know exactly what you mean about changing from open chords to barre chords, and what I found is that it just takes practice and repetition.
What I found was happening was that I was laying the barre (first finger) down first and then placing my fingers in the e or a shape depending on the chord instead of putting all my fingers down at the same time in a fully formed chord shape. After a bit of practice you'll probably find that your fingers 'know' the barre chord shape and all go down together...at least I did. One thing to remember, however, is the old 'use it or lose it' cliche. Once you get the barre chord programmed into your muscle memory you still need to practice it or it'll go away.
Good luck.

Offline useDraW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 05:21:19 am »
slow it down if you want to change it in time with your picking (performing music no matter where you are requires multitasking) and for certain styles just mute with your left hand for dead notes to allow your clumsy fretting hand to get by and sound groovier along the way. *wink*
20 yo noisemaker/musician, been playing guitar for 11'ish years.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App