Author Topic: Serious Internet Explorer Voulnerability  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Serious Internet Explorer Voulnerability
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:43:47 am »
What, AGAIN ?  :o
I think that's the fifth time in two years they've had an issue that serious.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:49:37 am »
All your Explorer are belong to us.
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Serious Internet Explorer Vulnerability
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:54:17 am »
Can't help but wonder if all the publicity about the recent vulnerabilities might have something to do with the discontinued support of XP.. Would be a somewhat brilliant way of boosting Operating System sales...
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:10:23 am »
Or to drive more folks over to Linux.
City council here is seriously considering giving M$ the finger.
That's a multi-million euro contract down the crapper.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:39:27 am »
Or to drive more folks over to Linux.
City council here is seriously considering giving M$ the finger.
That's a multi-million euro contract down the crapper.

Let's hope they see sense... and do it.

The willful ignorance and denial in the IT strategies of large organisations never fails to bewilder me. I'm currently consulting on a project for a large UK company. They are still running XP with a plan to move to Windows 7. They've been aware of this coming for quite a few years now, but have been putting it off. Why? because it's pretty much a forklift upgrade: they have to upgrade all of their central systems (hardware and software) before they can start dealing with the client systems. The human resource cost alone is going to be in the millions of pounds before you consider the licences.

And they are moving to an OS which is already 4 years into it's support lifecycle. Mainstream support for Windows 7 ends next year (which will probably be before they have finished rolling it out). Extended support is available until 2020, so they have another 5 years before they have to repeat this expensive and disruptive dance.

The irony is they are paranoid about security, and yet all of the laptops here are running XP with IE6! They also run Citrix and most of the use of the £800 laptops they deploy to staff is as a dumb Citrix client (the browser running in Citrix is also IE6 by the way).

I suggested to one of their IT security guys once that they move to lightweight Linux machines or even Chromebooks with the Citrix client app. It would save them money and solve most of the security issues very quickly. He basically told me that it would never happen because their whole IT strategy is based on what Microsoft and Oracle tell them to do. Crazy!

One of the primary reasons City of Munich moved to Linux is not because of the licence cost savings, but because they could control the destiny of their own IT rather than having vendors dictate it. It means they can avoid the disruption, risk, and cost of having systems going out of mainstream support and then having to do forklift upgrades every 5-10 years. They also no longer have to deal with the BS of support contracts:

“What do you need a support contract for? You really get no support, you get new versions. The only reason you need it is because your lawyers tell you so they can have someone to blame if it is failing. We no longer blame anyone, we try to fix it”

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline FChris

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »
Thanks Majik, that was very interesting to read. I had similiar experiences but in a lower scale.
Whenever friends ask me about computer problems I tell them to get linux and then I can help them, since I just don't bother to keep my knowledge about Windows up to date. Would solve tons of problems for lots of people if just dumped all the proprietary software.... best start with IE^^
Guitar is a lot about getting there, not arriving. - Drubbing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:32:57 pm »

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 06:33:01 am »
BTW, because the vulnerability was related to Flash, it may also be good to update your Flash player: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Get The Forum As A Mobile App