Author Topic: Help needed with Chords Progression and Song Writing  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Julien

• Good Vibes 1
Help needed with Chords Progression and Song Writing
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »
Hey guys, hope y'all having good times.
I need your help if I may. I am trying to write a song, using the acoustic guitar (a sweet Mahogany Taylor GS mini) as an anchor.

I am pretty novice on guitar and have very little technical knowledge.

OK so what I got so far is a Chorus and a Bridge (verse and Lyrics for both). What I struggle to find is a good guitar intro and regular verse.

I got a Capo on 3rd fret. The strumming is folky for the Chorus (D D UDUD) and more reggae for the Bridge.

Chords are Chorus: F C G Am F C G G/C and repeat it once
                 Bridge: F F C G F F C G F F C G F F F F G G G...silence and bang back to chorus

I would like the verse to be kind of basic, repetitive. May be only 2 chords and right before the chorus that comes and catch you.

I hope you'll find that interesting and thank you for your suggestions! Any Q? lemme know

Julien

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
Re: Help needed with Chords Progression and Song Writing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 05:02:11 pm »
CMaj7
Asus2

x

x

I assume you mean your last chord was C/G not G/C  IOW C chord / G Bass note C chord over G bass ... inverted C chord

C E G changed to G C E ... your final chord needs to be a C chord not a G chord G to C/G... not G to G/C as you wrote it.

Also it's a bit odd to start on a IV chord F. I would consider something like a Dm7 as it is basically the same as an F but it contains a C note so your melody can start on C which is the root of the Key...

Just a thought ... You have a lot of IV chord action going on there... the Dm7 is your ii chord and subs easily for the IV. You could also try an Em chord and start your melody on the e note or g note... 3 and 5 respectively, which are going to easily resolve to the following C chord.

This is all concerning your opening chord of F by the way for a song in the Key of C. IOW it's good you don;t start on C but instead end on it.... but do you really want to start on a IV chord?... It's hard to hear what you may have and it may work just fine but just something to think about.

.... and it might be why you are having trouble finding a verse chord because you have pulled to hard to the sub-dominant F tonal center in an otherwise normal C Tonic progression.

IOW... you may be hearing confusion as the F IV tries to take over as Tonic but can't because it has no supporting chords in the progression. Everything else supports C Major. .... but you play a lot of F and place it in prominent places.

Gone

Offline Julien

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:44:35 pm »
Thank you very much for your good advices. I see that you are rated 5 star so I have no doubt they will be gold. I'm gonna try to replace that F note as you mentioned it and see why I get at the end.

This is great piece of lesson/theory that's gonna help me to progress.

Cheers buddy.

Julien

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »
I like the way you think.... Yes it will be gold... in fact it will be at the end of the rainbow in a pot.  ;)

These are just suggestions.... The stars mean nothing.......

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App