Author Topic: Radio Shack 33-3043 mic?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Radio Shack 33-3043 mic?
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:50:20 am »
Is this thing good for anything? Wife bought it few years ago and I'm wondering if it would be useful somehow.

Spec sheet:

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/3303043_PM_EN.pdf

FYI I typically use a Sterling Audio ST51 FET condenser mic for vocals, my acoustic has an LR Baggs sound hole pickup, and I record my electrics through the DEP straight to interface, no amp involved. I do have a classical guitar and two ukes that it might be nice to mic separately from the ST51 if I am singing while playing. Wifey does not know it but I may eventually mic my acoustic drum kit once it's back from refurbishment. ;O) Also the LR Baggs is super bright and it might be nice to have a second mic to mix in, depending on the tone, since I don't have any sort of pre-amp/EQ for the LR Baggs pickup.

Don't want to give this thing away if it would be serviceable for something.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Radio Shack 33-3043 mic?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:02:39 pm »
They're basically junk.. but you can always find a use for different mics. I had a similar mic packed in my road case that I used to use for a talk-back mic from the front of house console to the stage monitors.. came in handy for talking to the guys on stage during sound checks... It's a 600 ohm mic.. you kinda need a transformer to use it with most pro gear.. but it'll work.. If you're on a budget and wanting to mic your kit, you might consider using it for a bottom snare mic until you can get something better. Just experiment.. sometimes you'd be surprised. Once I attached a Radio Shack PZM mic to the soundboard of a grand piano and blended it with a stereo pair of AKG 451s.. actually sounded pretty good.. I'd hang onto it..
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
Speaking of mic specs. Except for impedance and having 20dB less sensitivity it has same specs as sm58
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »
Speaking of mic specs. Except for impedance and having 20dB less sensitivity it has same specs as sm58

LOL.. just 20db??
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:08:34 pm »
Well that's what all the expensive mic pres are for with all that extra gain and headroom!
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:49:57 pm »
I tested it last night. I ran it through my. DEP to get some compression and reverb. Didn't sound too bad, with the exception of having to practically be swallowing the mic to get any volume out of it. I don't think I could use it to mic the classical or uke, but maybe if I switched and used it for vocal and moved the ST51 down to sound hole level.  It's not like I have a great voice anyway.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »
Put a HiZ line matching transformer on it and plug it into an XLR mic-level input..

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »
Any recs on a HiZ line matching transformer?

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 06:16:49 pm »
Not to be dense, but is that really going to make up for 20dB less sensitivity? And if it can, can't I plug it straight into my interface and switch it to LoZ? FYI I'm not sure how any of this shtuff actually works.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:41 pm »
It will balance the mic so that you can use a cable longer than 6 feet and the pre of your mic input should give you more gain.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 06:34:54 pm »
The cable that came with it is 16 feet. It's XLR female to 1/4" male. Does that tell you anything?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 06:42:06 pm »
The cable that came with it is 16 feet. It's XLR female to 1/4" male. Does that tell you anything?

Yeah, it tells me that it's unbalanced 600 ohm and will be susceptible to noise.. and that it won't work well with most modern audio gear unless you use a transformer. 600 ohm matched impedance hasn't been a standard in decades.. nearly everything is bridged now.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 06:58:39 pm »
Can I just use an XLR cable and set my interface to LoZ, or do I want to still put in the transformer and set it to HiZ?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:58 pm »
You could try it and see what the results are.. I suspect that the level will be low.. The mic isn't really instrument level or mic level. It's not designed for a lowZ XLR mic input, but the impedance and voltage aren't quite right for instrument level. My general rule of thumb in pro audio is that anything with a Mini plug, or 1/4" plug will work best using a DI or matching transformer. (unless it's line level) Instrument-level inputs will usually accept a wide range of voltages, and it'll likely work being plugged into a hiZ instrument-level input.. but will generally work better with a transformer. . Radio Shack used to make a lot of low-end consumer stuff that was a bit out-dated, and sub-standard. It was mostly made to be used together with their other crappy gear - like the little DJ mixers. Shure A95U is the one that I used to use.. there's probably other similar ones, or if you want a project you could buy a raw transformer from Jensen and build a box.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App