Author Topic: An Alternate Pickup Wiring  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
An Alternate Pickup Wiring
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:08 pm »
This was shared on the Seymour Duncan Facebook page. Just passing it on in case anyone is interested:
Do you keep your wiring stock or do you like to customize it?

Don't use your tone controls on a four-knob guitar? Why not use those two pots as Spin-A-Splits so you can progressively fade out one coil of each pickup for humbucker, single coil and in-between sounds? Here's how.

I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: An Alternate Pickup Wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:11:00 am »
Interesting, since i only ever use the tone knob on the neck pickup for my Les Paul i bet i could do some creative variation on this.
Nice find scooter  ;)

Offline photomike666

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:15:49 am »
Or Seymour Duncan sell a hotshots pick up surround with 2 micro switches so you can swap between the humbucker wired in parallel, series or split coil.

Great way to experiment with different sounds

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:58 am »
Meh, my guitars have more toggle switches than a Mad Scientist's secret weapon...
More fun that way.
And the Triple Shots/hot shots are rather easy to break when used on a 'work' guitar.
They don't hold up well in live use at all.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:06:26 am »
I suppose you could still use tone pots too if you have enough room.. I was going to do some pickup wiring stuff a while back and suddenly realized that it was probably more sensible to learn to use what I already had first lol..
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline JordanP

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 11:56:12 am »
That looks really cool, I was going to rewire my LP copy with the Jimmy Page wiring but it all just looks too damn complicated!

Like the look of this though, does anyone know if it would be possible to keep one tone control as a master tone and then have the other tone control as a master coil split?

And if it is, how would I go about doing this?

Cheers

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 01:23:31 pm »
so this is a wiring scheme if you want to turn tone pots into controls that determine the level coming of 1 of the 2 coils of each humbucker? (where turned down= single coil and turn up regular humbucker)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:53:53 pm »
That looks really cool, I was going to rewire my LP copy with the Jimmy Page wiring but it all just looks too damn complicated!

Like the look of this though, does anyone know if it would be possible to keep one tone control as a master tone and then have the other tone control as a master coil split?

Cheers

Yes, most likely... Or you can use stacked pots and have it all.
Gone

Offline LAMF

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »

Cheers

Yes, most likely... Or you can use stacked pots and have it all.

Or you can go with standard 50's wiring n get the tones n find manipulation of the string offers more control n less use of electronics.
 I have had many guys come in with 59 re-issues and SD pups wanting the Jimmy Page set up.... the businessman say OK but inside I want to say you are not gonna sound like Jimmy and why would you , he already perfected his sound.
I prefer having my own signature sound, using what the guitar, wood and amp give me....manipulation is the key.

Changes of any kind in my opinion  should be made to your signature sound and done in small increment soya know what it was that made the difference as sometimes it may be as small as using a Bone nut or even just different strings or the right properly sized amp.
Then again I play nothing but Vintage guitars through Vintage amps and even with a vintage cord and have an old real tortoise pic...
I am into that early Chicago Blues sound from Chess records where the hardest decision was whether to use a glass slide or brass.

When a student or someone auditioning for a open spot and they say I can sound exactly like Muddy or any already known sound like BB King.....my response is usually the same.
If I wanted that I would not be looking for a guy with his own ideas and sound... if not I could emulate BB Jimi or Muddy myself... when given the chance always be you because 99% of the time unless your looking for a job in a cover band they want a new input or sound. \
I have gotten no better compliment when someone say I love your tone u sound like U  how did u get that??

With a smile n a grin... I just say by try Not to sound like someone else....

Just my opinion

LAMF
I play the blues for it is REAL LIFE put to lyric and music.....

Get The Forum As A Mobile App