Author Topic: Can I change the fingers suggested in the videos?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Quadzilla4425

• Good Vibes 1
Can I change the fingers suggested in the videos?
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:47:19 pm »
Hello Everyone:

New here so go easy on me . . and Justin if you see this SORRY for accidentally sending a PM on Facebook as for some reason my phone wouldn't let me post to your page so I just figured you changed the settings and it was OK but then I went to it on my computer and found out it was just my phone so again I"m very sorry as I did read the Terms.

Anyways I just started the Blues Solo DVD set and loving it so far and in Lesson One you say to use fingers 2 & 3 to pluck the last 2 strings.  My question is can I change it to my thumb and my first finger or will that screw things up in later lessons?

IF I were to use a pick can I just hit the last 2 strings like a chord or do they need to be plucked?

I'm sure these are silly questions so if I'm way out in left field on this just delete the post lol

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
Re: Can I change the fingers suggested in the videos?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of people here willing to help you with any question you have
about guitar.

The whole idea of a finger style lesson is to teach finger style techniques. You could use a pick but that's
not the point of the lessons.

The standard fingering for any finger style is the thumb plays the E A D strings. The index finger plays the
 G the middle plays the B and the ring plays the e string.
That being said most of the old blues player from the 20's and 30's only used their thumb and index finger
but this will limit your playing and if you really want to play finger style blues I'd suggest using the
fingering Justin suggests. It will make you a better player. Don't change something because you think it's
hard. You won't learn anything doing that.

Offline Quadzilla4425

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »
Hello and thank you.

Yes this is what I figured and thus why I didn't change it  . . but it would have been nice lol.  Loving the site and DVD's . . and to think I stumbled on it by accident while I was literately getting ready to sing up for another paid site . . much rather give my money to Justin

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:25 pm »
Just checked your profile and see your from Canada. So am I. I'm in Southern Alberta.

Offline Quadzilla4425

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:16:59 pm »
Just checked your profile and see your from Canada. So am I. I'm in Southern Alberta.

Hey that's cool . . were almost like neighbors lol 

Been playing for years plunking around here and there with a few layoffs but back into it full speed and needed a break from my normal playing style of metel (rolls eyes lol) and it sad how you get locked into on style and when you try and switch to something with more feelings you actually struggle with it.  I love this site as it really helping me improve on somethings I really should have spent more time with in the begining

Get The Forum As A Mobile App