Author Topic: Remote Desktop  (Read 791 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Remote Desktop
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:09:19 pm »
Win 7... remote desktop to Raspberry Pi... some browser named Midori... logged in here...

Zippy it is not... but it works and seems solid. I  have to wait a couple seconds but it does work

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Remote Desktop
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:54:57 pm »
Remote desktop ?
YOU SISSY !
Learn to SSH, and then drop and give me 500 lines of C script !

Bad jokes aside, RD is always slower (in my experience, at least) when going between OS'es and especially with the Pi's.
Hence why using something like Putty/Kitty to connect to the Pi is a far better alternative for most purposes.
It's harder, but xx--xx, it'll make you feel like a real man when you pull it off  ;)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 11:02:02 pm »
Yep, I connected by Putty as well. I can run commands but haven't figured out the Linux commands to run to get the desktop going. Need to study that a bit more.

I got something installed but never could get the desktop running... plus I have to learn it for Windows and Linux  although I intend to lean more heavily to Linux... but I have to take a lot of notes to remember what I've done and how to undo it.

For instance I have done this.....

install ssh --- have no idea how to uninstall if I ever wanted

sudo update-rc.d ssh defaults  --- all I know is that makes ssh run at boot... no idea how to stop or what it means..

sudo apt-get install xrdp == this worked but again... no idea how to get back to where I was.

So I'm trying to actually learn what the hell I'm doing and how to undo it in both Windows and Linux.

I realize I can just wipe the SD card but I need to get a bit better than that. Lots of how tos on what to do but kinda short on what you are actually doing and how to undo it.

Oddly... after I shut things off my Win7 pc locked up hard about five minutes later.... very very unusual.... maybe never happened before. Just a cold hard freeze... had to use the power switch.

I finally got all my CD's ripped.... man what an absolute PITA.... Hope I never have to go through that ordeal again.... at least not with the same damn cd's again.

But... I'm getting there, that's my next goal to get desktop via ssh. I also should be firing up the RaspBMC this weekend.

I just found this at a thrift shop for $5.50 but somebody had thrown in a couple other pieces of other VESA mount. One is a damn nice piece of aluminum block . If all goes well I can mount all this to the stand/arm of monitor...... Instant ghetto iMacPi... Also got an HP mouse for a dollar. I went back to pick up a keyboard for $5 I saw the other day... All brand new generics... all gone. No idea why I didn't buy it then but this mount was a better find.

http://www.amazon.com/Omnimount-QM100-Small-Panel-Platinum/dp/B00006I5KR
Gone

Offline dhalbert

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:25:31 am »
To uninstall something:

sudo apt-get remove whatever   # removes but leaves config files
sudo apt-get purge whatever    # removes all traces

I use x2go for Ubuntu remote desktop. It has Windows and Linux clients, and will pass sound. It may not be in the Raspbian repos, but I see discussions of how to install it. It's quite efficient.

Instead of Putty I install cygwin. In the cygwin setup program search for ssh (upper left) and choose it - the appropriate packages will install. Cygwin on Windows is an approximation to a Unix shell, with many Unix commands.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:29:07 am »
Thanks,,, that cygwin name looks a bit familiar. Haven't run across x2go yet. Will check that one.

Several things I first hit upon were a few years old so I'm sure someone has come up with something better.

=================
Checked out cygwin last night... that looks really nice... Watch a vid from some college or something... anyway he went over an install.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:42:28 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App