Author Topic: Clapton Style, 22nd bar  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Clapton Style, 22nd bar
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:28:54 am »
The 16th note bit is unpossible for me to play. Any tips on fingering? Should I be barring the bottom 3 strings at the 3rd fret?

For what it's worth 16th notes at 95 BPM is significantly faster than I can play scales (my top speed thus far for 16th notes is 80 BPM), much less Clapton licks.

How much time do you spend trying to learn a single lick that is beyond your technical capabilities, and when do give give up and try to simplify it? I guess I should do both.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Clapton Style, 22nd bar
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 06:55:35 am »
How much time do you spend trying to learn a single lick that is beyond your technical capabilities, and when do give give up and try to simplify it? I guess I should do both.

As a JustinGuitar student, you know the answer to that question already.
None.
Zero.
Practice the skill first.
:)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:24:35 am »
Well if it is a speed thing, I would think he might say learn to play it VERY SLOW, but in time with a metronome (or with slow down software) and gradually work up the speed.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:31:39 pm »
Well if it is a speed thing, I would think he might say learn to play it VERY SLOW, but in time with a metronome (or with slow down software) and gradually work up the speed.

Shadow

Point taken ... but I stick to my answer albeit with your qualifying comment.

Practice the skill first ... at slow speed, then build up.
After a short time, you will be able to incorpaorate the Clapton lick at slow speed in to your practice.
And then after some work .... bingo!

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 04:19:08 pm »
I am familiar with learning the lick slow and then speeding it up. I can't even keep up with that lick at 50% speed. That's why I'm asking if there are any tips on how I should be fingering it. There's no videos for the RUBS so I'm sort of having to figure it out on my own. I know the two 6-3s are pull offs from the tab (forgive me, for I have sinned and checked the tab), but it seems like it may be faster to bar the eBG strings at the 3rd fret. However that seems to make the ring or pinky action at the 6th fret on those same strings a little more awkward. Just looking for some guidance on how Justin (or Clapton) might finger it. I'd hate to learn it an awkward way that I will never be able to get up to speed.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
I don't have the Really Useful Blues Solos so I can't comment on the exact lick but what I do is find the
spot on the neck that is most comfortable for me to play certain notes then work on the lick there.

What Clapton lick are you trying to learn?  You mentioned eBG at the 3rd fret have your tried these note
G D A# at the 8th and 7th fret on the B G D or at the 12th and 13th fret on the G D A?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:09:02 pm »
Well.... I'll tell you what a drummer told me once when I expressed how difficult it was for me to just play simple beats, just to have the sticks feel right.

"What did you expect?"

If that lick takes you a year, it takes a year. If it takes 20 years, it takes 20 years. It's not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to help you play somewhat like Eric Clapton, which is a lot different than the guy you just heard playing down at the local Guitar Center.

I would experiment with barring the eb strings and see what that gets you. Also the 6 5 - 3 ... that 5 can be a pulloff too and if you stumble on that it throws everything off.

The 5 5 5 thing on b and g strings is almost like a barre but it's just rocking back an forth to play/mute the string... and again that's a move that needs to be clean.

Also play it with Index and Ring... I'm pretty sure EC is a 2 finger Blues lick guy. That too puts your hand in a different shape and when you get to that 6 5 - 3 the middle finger drops right on the 5.

So over all there is some two string hand rocking going on. Not one string at a time. eb then gb.

That's all I got.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:54:56 pm »
Thanks TB. I don't have my guitar with me right now but I think I was actually sliding 6 to 5 ring then pull off to 3 on the G string and it felt pretty good. Bar eB like you said.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »
I would lose that slide...
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:13 am »
Right again; I lost it. And I lost the pull off 5 to 3 on the G string. I've got it up to 80% now. Didn't take my own advice and spend five minutes on it. I worked that damn lick for more than an hour. :Op 55 minutes of it probably wasted . . .

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 03:34:21 am »
90%, but not consistently yet. One thing that has helped as I'm moving up the speed is that when I fumble the lick, the next couple repetitions through I will play it at half speed! as two bars of 8th notes instead of 1 bar of 16ths. Gets the proper movements back into the right synapses and then I seem to be able to hit it as 16ths better.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:39:39 am »
FYI, 36 bars of solo is a lot to remember imo.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 03:59:41 am »
Two week update: I have the solo memorized. Trying to get it up do speed next. Not sure if it's possible but I'm going to try. Right now at about 60% to get it right. It's those brutally fast 16th note licks. Will try to work on them individually.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:52:40 am »
90%

Get The Forum As A Mobile App