Author Topic: UK-003 • Ukulele Open Chords (Part 2)  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
UK-003 • Ukulele Open Chords (Part 2)
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:30:20 pm »

Offline SteveS_2000

• Good Vibes 0
Re: UK-003 • Ukulele Open Chords (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:56:28 pm »
Wondering if the chord diagram for D7 contains an error. In standard voicing it's D-F#-A-C. The chart shows (2-0-2-0) =  A-C-F#-A. Other resources show the grip as (2-2-2-3) i.e., A-D-F#-C, or alternatively (2-0-2-5) = A-C-F#-D which would also work.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 11:27:59 pm »
Well I don't think its an error or a typo.  I think it is purposeful.  Open chord shapes, and relationships between chord types is the point of the lesson.  To quote the preface on the lesson page.

"Continuing on now, we have 9 more chords for you three types of chords, Major, Minor and 7th, this time on D, A and E.

As for the last lesson, a VERY useful exercise for you to do is to compare the chords with the same root, for example, play A, A min and A7 and see how they are related. Do that with each chord and you'll start to make connections which will make it easier to remember the chord grips and also help unlock the fretboard (helps for guitar too!).

Where is "B" I hear you ask! Well B is only playable as a movable chord shape (kinda like F on the guitar) so we're going to check them out in a couple of lessons time!"

As shown on the lesson page.

D major:  A D F# A

D minor:  A D F A made from the major shape by flatting the third.

D7:  A C F# A made from the major shape by dropping the root to C.

The first grip you reference isn't an open shape and the second was likely deemed "more difficult" the the basic shape that was included.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline SteveS_2000

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 03:15:02 pm »
Shadow - you may well be correct that it's intentional. I'm reminded of the George Carlin bit where he notes that one thing we know about something with "vanilla flavor" is that it doesn't have any vanilla in it. Here, we've got "D7 flavor" without any "D" in it.  :-)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App