Author Topic: Windows 7 8 8.1 OS install Upgrade ISO help  (Read 2499 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Windows 7 8 8.1 OS install Upgrade ISO help
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »
If anyone has any good links to ISO and clean install of Windows 8.1 please post.

I am collecting links and some reference instructions on how to clear out Win 7 from BIOS etc... which may be needed as a potential method for Win 8 to 8.1

OEM stuff... anything... Seems MS has made this as difficult as possible.... so far I'm only here...

Possible method to get an 8.1 ISO
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57608376-285/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/?_escaped_fragment_=#!

Belarc Advisor can apparently read the product key from BIOS
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Not sure what this is... identifies your key so you know what it will actually activate... like home or pro.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/20816-The-Ultimate-PID-Checker

Not sure how this works.......
copied-------------------------
You can use the official Microsoft MSDN Windows 8.1 ISO. For install use the generic key. After install use your embedded key from uefi

Generic Key Windows 8.1 Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Generic Key Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
-------------------------------------------------------------
These keys won't work for Single Language editions. You need these:
CoreSingleLanguage=Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
gvlkCoreSingleLanguage=BB6NG-PQ82V-VRDPW-8XVD2-V8P66
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More fairly recent stuff....
http://www.mediafire.com/download/as21l1ml16iu21k/Windows+Product+Key+Viewer+1.4.7d.zip

Wow... this is for a specific PC model but what an ordeal just to get an OS loaded..... still some good info and links to ISO images
http://forums.tweakarena.com/showthread.php?t=191

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:37:43 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
Re: Windows 7 8 8.1 OS install Upgrade ISO help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:20:16 pm »
I must have missed something, TB ......... So just in case I did, I'll just ask.......

Why do you need to upgrade from 7 to 8.1?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:23:28 pm »
I don;t ... I just bought a pc that will arrive with 8.... some of the stuff I am reading ( which may be dated ) references 7 and some 7 oriented techniques to attempt to get 8.1 rolling as a clean install.

I am actually hitting on more recent stuff now... where it looks like people have figured out the 8.1 process. I'm just putting info here in case anyone else might need it.... or I forget it ( more likely )...
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:24 pm »
Ah..... I get you now .... It just didn't click in my head what you were up to .......

As I mentioned in the other thread, I had to put 7 on my niece's laptop. She had 8 for a week and went ballistic ....... Said she didn't give a damn about the learning curve expected for a new OS, microsoft had quite simply fecked another one up to high heaven and she'd like an OS that knew what it wanted to be and she wanted it right now, pretty please, with a cherry on top.

Shame is.... I kind of agree with her ..... I really wanted to like the thought of a new OS, but I've spent a little time with it and can't argue the point. Our Em is a great barometer for the usefulness of a particularly new thing: She isn't resistant to change........ She's resistant to xx--xx stupid ideas...... and she classes Win 8 as just that.

I'll have to see if I can wangle a legit copy of 8.1 out of one our many visiting techs. I want to move forward and I'll give 8.1 a look, but I won't hold my breath. All I want is a button that says "Look like Windows 7 'cos this is a xx--xx desktop and not a tablet for advance xx--xx fingerpainters" and I'll be sold on it as a step in the right direction  ;D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:22:48 pm »
It's my understanding that is what 8.1 is.... iow, the good of Win7 and the xx--xx of Win8 tossed.

I could go win7 but then I would have to buy a win7 cd. I can get Win8.1 for free.... and as far as I have heard it is as good as 7 if not better.... But yeah... no one like plain 8 that's why they made 8.1 .... at least that is my understanding.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 12:48:27 am »
It's my understanding that is what 8.1 is.... iow, the good of Win7 and the xx--xx of Win8 tossed.

There's no nice way to put this, so i'll be blunt : whoever put that idea in your head needs to be xx--xx shot.
Windows 8 is crap, and so is 8.1.
I wanted to like Windows 8, i honestly did, but it's just like when they started with that utterly mongoloid Ribbon concept in their office products : the imbecile marketing prat that came up with it needs to be put to death, and the graphic designers that enabled him need to be given 200 lashes with a cat 'o 9 tails.
Then the execs who OK'd this new concept need to take their metro contrivances and shove them where the sun doesn't shine, and understand once and for all that putting a GUI intended for touchscreen products on a desktop OS ought to be punishable by death.

And the same goes for reinventing a GUI when the old one was perfectly fine.
Polish it up a bit, sure, but by the FSM's Meatballs, every time they change things for no good reason i feel like grabbing all the M$ employees and screaming 'DO NOT xx--xx WITH THE BLOODY LAYOUT YOU xx--xx !' int heir ears while waving my Katana in front of their faces.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 01:11:11 am »
Really...... well.... I don't have to do a -lot- with this laptop in windows... so if I can get the xx--xx booted up I should be ok.... but I have to lose that touch screen xx--xx.

If it get's really bad I'll have to beg, borrow or steal a win7 from somewhere.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 10:19:02 am »

If you ever go down that route ....... and have bother with UEFI and Windows 7 ......... shout out; It's perfectly doable, but can be a little convoluted.....

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 10:46:24 am »
The trouble is Dan, they are a commercial entity whose business model only works if people buy the latest and greatest version of their main products.

Which, of course, is why they try to get people and companies hooked on their product and then introduce a slightly incompatible new version that people don't actually need, but which people will be forced into upgrading to in order to be compatible with others.

In the case of Windows they need to be releasing new product because their old versions have reached market saturation. They need a reason for people to buy more stuff, and so they release a new version with changes whether people want it or not, and they force OEMs to use only the new version so that anyone buying a new computer gets it by default, to try to drive the market.

This used to work for MS as people generally didn't know there were alternatives and thought they needed to have the latest and greatest. People have become more aware, more enlightened. Macs, tablets, chromebooks, and even Linux are now recognised as sensible alternatives, and MS are trying to compete in a world that is rapidly changing, that seems to have realised that not only don't you need MS, but that some of the alternatives can actually be far better.

For example, a recent survey concluded that as many as 11% of people currently still using Windows XP may start using Linux very soon. MS have got to be worried about that!

And MS have been stuck in this view of "one GUI to rule them all" forever. One of the reasons the early Windows Mobile stuff was so lousy was it tried to replicate the desktop. Now they are trying it in reverse.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 01:26:11 pm »
And that's the problem Keith, M$ ALWAYS gets things backwards...
That they need to put out new products i understood a long time ago, and quite frankly, if the performance improves enough i'll gladly buy a new OEM license every few years.
That they want it to be flashy to try and draw in the Apple (insert derogatory term for homosexual here) crowd in i can understand from a sales point of view.
That they must try and appeal to ye average marketing xx--xx, well, i can live with that to an extent...
But why must they submit EVERYONE to such GUI malarky ?
Hell, they already make several different versions on windows, with all the home/office/ultimate/whatever versions, why not let the geeks choose which kind of UI they want in the 'Ultimate'/'Geek'/'don't care what the xx--xx they call it as long as i get to use a proper desktop UI' version ?

This is like Vista all over again, too many 'innovative' ideas that mean xx--xx all to the average end user.
But you are right of course, their thinking on UI's got stuck back in the early 90's.
If someone could shake it loose and move it into the current UI zeitgeist, preferably by beating up half their design department and ALL of upper management, that'd be fine by me.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:46 pm »
One of the main reasons The City of Munich moved to Linux was they were fed up with having to upgrade unnecessarily at the vendor's whim, and the fact that most
MS upgrades are pretty much a fork-lift upgrade which involves changing most of the infrastructure software, and half the hardware.

Now they are in full control of their IT infrastructure for the first time, and can choose what and when to upgrade, and avoid massive upgrade cycles by choosing tools which maintain backward and forward compatibility.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »
I don't know about anyone else but I'll gladly take Win 7 over Win 3.

.... and I was so happy when I could forget about command line stuff for basic tasks..... but... now MS has actually gotten to where it can be difficult to do simple things.

There are several people all over the Internet taking shots at why I can't get some Native Instruments products to install properly and thus far... no one can figure it out. .... and just yesterday someone asked me if I ever figured it out because they have the same problem.

There is no sense in a Desktop OS allowing that to happen.... and that is something else MS invested in and that is there Tech organization. The people getting certifications and the reseller network. They have pretty much eliminated the individual... although I suppose that is partly due to our "networked society" .. I guess it's a Catch22 at the end of the day.

I don't like windows registry. I like for something to "there" and when it's not "there"... it's simply gone... not kinda gone, or hidden but gone.

That's what I really don't like about modern windows is.... where is everything and what connects to what ... but there is that circle of life again..
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:09:08 pm »

If you ever go down that route ....... and have bother with UEFI and Windows 7 ......... shout out; It's perfectly doable, but can be a little convoluted.....

Will do... a little convolution is a good thing... especially with several mSec pre-delay.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 12:18:30 am »
Well.... all I can say about this win 8 and 8.1 upgrade is holy friggin wow!?  I have never... ever... seen such a convoluted non user friendly situation in my life..... LOL.... man...

Anyway.... I got this laptop and it's actually pretty much just what I wanted. Feels solid, small, runs fine so far. anyway it comes without that recovery partition so I started Win8... took forever to get updates. Then I said wth... just do the 8.1 update from MS.  Anyway...... 4:30PM -- 1:30AM non stop... it finally finished.

Oddly the Win8 did not require I use an email to log in with... The 8.1 did,,, which was a pisser... but not end of world.

I have touched the touch pad and started some Bing Finance thing and thought I would never get rid of it.

I need to find a good site that has a good walk through of change the settings in 8.1 to "this" and you will be happier....

I installed one program and it actually installs several but only one gets a desktop icon. So normally they would simply be under the program folder...

PROGRAM
-main prog
-aux prog1
-aux prog2

So I finally figured how to "search" for aux prog1  and it's a good thing I knew the name of it.... I don't know I would have found it otherwise.

What a bizarre thing. "Windows 8... The, 'You Can't Get There From Here', Operating System"

Talk about getting assimilated.... man this really feels like being connected to the mother ship.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:45:41 am »
I told you so, but did you listen ?
Nooooooo.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App