Author Topic: Awesome covers  (Read 43029 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
Re: Awesome covers
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:52 pm »
Lieven, I don't think it's a SH55. I don't know what it is, but I think it's a large diaphragm dynamic microphone. If not that it might be a condenser, but I've never seen a condenser that looks like that.

I like that version of Sweet Dreams, thanks for sharing.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:23 pm »
Lieven, I don't think it's a SH55.

well I trust your judgement in identifying mics.
(if it's not, it surely looks like one)

Well, at least, when she's singing in it, at least it's at the correct spot.
It turned out to be the solution for keeping out the bleed of our leadguitarists' amp :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 05:05:34 am »
It turned out to be the solution for keeping out the bleed of our leadguitarists' amp :)

OK.. I have to ask.. Were you using an omni mic before?

I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 08:07:16 am »
Sm58's present at the rehearsal room. It's a small shack and acoustically not the best but I thought sm58 were uni, not omni, right? ( and my spot is head to head with the Guitarist, with several meters  between)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 12:07:55 pm »
I thought sm58 were uni, not omni, right?

Yes, they're both cardoid. Similar pickup patterns and frequency response. I might be misunderstanding. When you said; "It turned out to be the solution for keeping out the bleed of our leadguitarists' amp" were you suggesting that it was because of the 55?
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 01:45:23 pm »
Lieven, I don't think it's a SH55. I don't know what it is, but I think it's a large diaphragm dynamic microphone. If not that it might be a condenser, but I've never seen a condenser that looks like that.

I like that version of Sweet Dreams, thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure which Shure you are looking at but the one on Jolene is a 55sh.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/classic/55SH-Series-II-iconic-unidyne-vocal-microphone
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »
The 55sh and sm58 are both cardioid dynamics. Both actually have very similar polar patterns but he 55 rejects a bit more and the frequency response of the two are different.

But if you mean the MC video,,, I'm sure they are not recording out in that field. that is a studio sound and probably not even the mic they used.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 02:43:37 pm »
The 55sh and sm58 are both cardioid dynamics. Both actually have very similar polar patterns but he 55 rejects a bit more and the frequency response of the two are different.

But if you mean the MC video,,, I'm sure they are not recording out in that field. that is a studio sound and probably not even the mic they used.

Well, yeah, the frequency responses are different..  :o  But similar. What I'm getting at is that there's no low-pass or high-pass filter on the mic. There's no boost switch. They're both cardioid. "Cardioid" got it's name from the "heart-shaped" polar response pattern. Could it really be that different? 

This is a 55:

This is a 58:

The 58 looks like it has better rear rejection..

I can see switching from a 58 to a beta 58 (or some other supercardioid or hypercardioid mic) somewhat reducing some bleed.. but going from a 58 to a 55 being "the solution for keeping out the bleed of our leadguitarists' amp" ??

I must be missing something.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 02:52:43 pm »
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I agree... from specs... it doesn't seem that it would be the cure for guitar amp bleed unless, like he said the room has problems at specific frequencies that the 55 rejects better. Like below 200 where it looks like the 55 has a at least a few dB better rejection ( if I'm seeing those dots correctly,,, which I may not be ).

The 58 also has 4dB better sensitivity. So that gives you maybe 8dB below 200Hz.. or 4dB at other problem frequencies. It's quite possible that the 58 has a peak where the room has a peak and maybe the 55 has a dip... So you have as much as a 10dB difference fairly easily. Luck of the draw perhaps... but real none the less.
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:12 pm »
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I agree... from specs... it doesn't seem that it would be the cure for guitar amp bleed unless, like he said the room has problems at specific frequencies that the 55 rejects better. Like below 200 where it looks like the 55 has a at least a few dB better rejection ( if I'm seeing those dots correctly,,, which I may not be ).

That might be.. but guitar is fairly broad-spectrum and usually what's excessive or lacking in frequency response gets compensated for on the console EQ. I've just never found using different mics with similar polar patterns to be a solution for bleed. Usually only gating, isolation, mic placement and/or reducing volume helps with that.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »
Yeah, I agree... it doesn't seem like it would work. I'm just tossing out possibilities.

Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25:02 pm »
The 55sh and sm58 have radically different form factors. It could simply be a matter of where they had the back end of the sm58 pointed on the mic stand. If it was pointed at the ground instead of the amp the bleed could greatly enhanced.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 03:35:30 pm »
The 55sh and sm58 have radically different form factors. It could simply be a matter of where they had the back end of the sm58 pointed on the mic stand. If it was pointed at the ground instead of the amp the bleed could greatly enhanced.

Yeah, I had considered that.. there might be a null in a certain area from phase cancellations and the 55's position is now in that area.. would have to be a big hole though.. and it wouldn't be the mic reducing the bleed.. it would be the mic placement.. anyhow.. sorry for getting the thread off-topic.. I was just very surprised that the mic could have made much of a difference in bleed and thought that maybe I was misunderstanding.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 03:39:46 pm »
The 58 was angled the same way as the 55, mic levels the same etc..
the amp was behind the mic, in a straight line wit its orientation.
The setup was identical.
the 58 picked up too much amp, the 55 kept it down.

I already noticed that you need to be closer to the 55 then the 58
If the one MC is "supposed" to be using is a 55, as I presume watching the vid, the would be missing it at 01:15.

They use that mic for presentation but it isn't the best mic but it served well because of these circumstances :) btw, I've got an old style stand now too and it looks cool on it.

I thought they were very similar but if you run into this problem with these 58's being "too good at picking up", you could try another mic, like this :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 03:43:18 pm »
I think that mic has a lot more foam in it too. Might be helping.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App