Author Topic: Ripping CDs  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Ripping CDs
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »

There may or may not be a legitimate nor sane reason but I tend to try to stay away from Windows built in products like WMP. I really don't mind too much the Windows OS, although I'm liking it less and lees as years go by, but I almost always like 3rd party apps to work with and they always seem to have better support available.

Like if I have problem with something even a windows, Mac, or Linux person might can help, but if you say I'm using a windows product people are more likely to say .. oh well.. it sounds like a windows problem.

So technically I honestly didn't even know WMP could rip CDs...... and to be honest with you,,, for low priced software like $0 to $50 I like to support the small time vendors especially if they make a nice product.

I'm not a Windows hater... but not a Windows lover either.

Thanks.. I was just curious.. Most of my CDs get played the old fashioned way:

BTW, I found this comparison chart that might be helpful to people: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Comparison_of_CD_rippers
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 09:41:24 pm »
Mine do too,,, but I've got a load of music and it would be nice to just cut it loose...

Mine usually ends up in my truck.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 03:49:10 pm »
Well I think I finally have this down to a semi-science with MediaMonkey.

The track numbering thing I figured that MM didn't use the two digit format because they figure you will use a different SORT or display. So for instance if I had

had I clicked up top on track number it would have resorted from 1 to 10 or 10 to 1 as I continued to click. But.. I would rather have the 2 digit format anyway.

Double CD's .... damn... How in the world can an online database not have two identical names for the Beatles white album between CD1 and CD 2?!

So you put CD 1 in , rip it,, only to find that the data base has every possible combination of Title, CD number and Genre.... EXCEPT! .. .the one that matches CD 1..... Same for Miles Davis 50th Anniversary.

At any rate I think after taking all day to learn all the little ins and outs of the software, I have figured most of it out.  Now for the long haul of mindless ripping. It's one of those things that goes fast enough to where you can't just run it and leave, but too slow to give full attention to. Really frustrating.
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 04:35:02 pm »
It's one of those things that goes fast enough to where you can't just run it and leave, but too slow to give full attention to. Really frustrating.

If you're like me; you'll probably end up with a tube of toothpaste and a soft rag polishing scratches out of them in-between ripping lol.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 04:41:12 pm »
Yeah, things don't need to stay around me for very long at all before they look used.

That's actually another reason I like to archive them. If I can rip them right after I buy them there is at least a small margin of safety.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »
Everyone I know who has been serious about ripping their collection (and not wanting to be tied to using iTunes or similar) has gone through this.

It's not particularly tricky, but there are a number of ways to get it wrong and waste a lot of time. Doing a trial rip and working out your workflow, understanding the issues, etc. is a learning curve but it's the right thing to do.

Using the Internet databases you will end up with "mostly good" data, but the tools in things like MM should allow you to tidy errors and inconsistencies up as you come across them.

And the great news is, once you do it "right" then you should never have to do it again.

IMO you are on the right path.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 09:37:24 pm »
The double CDs have really thrown me because I ripped the first one only to find no match for 2. Next time, I'm just going to choose my own scheme... although I think I only a have a few doubles left. A ZZ top and Greatful Dead... maybe one or two others.

After this I need to figure out how to rip a DVD... I used to know how to do that not any longer. I've got a few DVD's I want to put on the media server.... So far, I only have a couple BR discs. But a lot of it is music and it would be nice to have the music as FLAC and also the movies on the server.

I -think- MM does some DVD ripping. I also have Sony Vegas and I suppose I load it into that and render it to whatever format the server likes best. I might not get all the special menus and all that but I don't really care about that too much.

That MM seems like a nice prog. I would recommend it and I'm probably not even making the most elegant use of it yet.
Gone

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 06:05:34 pm »
I've always purchases CDs and ripped them myself for my PC, phone or more recently, tablet. I realised a long time ago that EAC is about the simplest to use once it's setup and I use TagScanner to quickly edit tags when the databases don't have things etc.

Have you tried this route, TB-AV? An all-in-one can sometimes be more hassle than going the manual route, I've found. Tagscanner makes numbering double albums way easier too.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 06:12:44 pm »
I've pretty much got it working now... I just find it hard to believe that a 'database' can not have two matching entries for what are quite popular albums.

Seriously the White Album?? How The West Was Won?? It's not so much using the software as the unbelievable need to actually have to use to modify things. I could understand it for obscure albums. I actually had a Los Lobos album show up as Country.

That's not exactly what I call a database..... I think of that more as a repository of corruption.

But I actually like the MM software now that I am using it.
Gone

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »
I've not used databases for years. Too inconsistent. From wrongly spelt songs and albums to no capital letters for proper nouns or all capitals. Nightmare and makes my song collection looks like a virtual rubbish tip. Forget it. I let EAC get the tag info from the CD I'm ripping and then edit the tags manually if they need it.

It's a bit more work but you only have to do it once.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:49 pm »
The last time I used EAC it used the same FreeDB.

I can get the auto-tag for the CD , cover, songs, artist, etc... with one click bu thow do you get tags "from the CD'.... I thought that was the whole point of the database.

and even the auto-tag pulls in corrupt data... Like.....

Song 6:14
or
Song

So yes, I am editing the 'closest' thing that looks good. But that's what kills me is how can all this 'data' be so screwed up?

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 06:50:45 pm »
But that's what kills me is how can all this 'data' be so screwed up?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 07:04:26 pm »
LOL,,, that's exactly what it seems like.
Gone

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 08:02:37 pm »
I can get the auto-tag for the CD , cover, songs, artist, etc... with one click bu thow do you get tags "from the CD'.... I thought that was the whole point of the database.

I used to tell EAC to read the CD Text, but on having checked I can't now as it's greyed out. I did buy a new DVDRW just before xmas though as the other had stopped reading or writing so maybe this drive can't read the text. Can read the CD INI file though.

Regarding the numbering of double albums, here's what I do in Tagscanner (I used my White Album to show):

If you look above, both 'Back in the USSR' and 'Birthday' are numbered track 1, but the disk number is different (1/2 and 2/2). So in my PC music player (MusicBee) the tracks are all correctly numbered and in the right order:

It's also in the right order when uploaded to Google Music:

And in the same order on my android phone:

I'm a bit OCD about consistency but Tagscanner seems to do me fine.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 01:59:40 am »
Right that's how mine is now... I can't see how yours shows the disc number but mine will be..

White Album ( disc1 )
White Album ( disc2 )

So obviously their respective 1's are placed correctly. ... and by default disc 1 precedes disc 2. But like I was saying the way MM is setup and I suppose other apps is to allow you sort any way you like.

IOW, I can list my entire library and click track # and all the 1s will be first... But disc 1 will always precede disc 2 provided everything else is the same.

But yeah, I kinda like the names to look the same...... which I just realized I somehow managed to name my Miles Davis double differently...... damn.... oh well... just need to rip that one disc again.

There is actually, probably a way for me to rename the files........ I might give that a shot first. I'm sure there must be a way... but at this point, it's easier for me to just rip it again.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App